Wipers issue

Hello!
I'm driving a 2019 Kodi, 2,0 190bhp, Style. My issue is related to the front wipers:  they have their own life, starting to wipe, justvout of the blue. Automatic wipers - disabled. No windshield sensor or lever issues, both already checked by the Skoda dealer. Anybody knows?

Sorry. You’ve foxed us all.

Your problem has never been seen before.

Good luck with the dealer trying to fix it - “never seen that before sir”. Or even replicating the problem.

Maybe he’ll say “it’s a new feature just for you

Nope, exqctly as I said, without any action. The dealer has already reinstalled the software, then changed the windshield sensor, and also the lever. No errors, but the issue reppeared. They gave me back the car, as there is nothing they can do... Waiting for an answer from Skoda, as it's a newly appeared issue for them too. The next step is to change the wipers electric drive motor to see if there is a problem with it. It also, can be from the wiring system...

@Blorin I’m not sure how the parking position of the wipers is done on the Kodiaq, but there must be some form of indexing in the motor (years ago on my past cars it was just a low tech switch with a diode on a maintained supply) so that the blades stop in the down position. I’m wondering if it’s to do with that kind of system. I’m aware that the wipers on the Kodiaq are more hi tech and do all the usual functions like jogging when parking and the service position etc.

Perhaps it thinks the blades are not in the park position for some reason?

Anyhow, hope you get it sorted, and let us know what they find, I’ve not heard of this before.

Best wishes.

Indeed, there is a parking position, I assume, as long as when turning off the engine the wipers move milimeters, somehow. Interesting suggestion, as sometimes I see the wipers, sometimes not when driving, the wipers lever being on OFF.

For information, those occasional mm movements on start up/ shutdown are deliberate, so the blades don't always park with the same folded, pressed down position, which leads to judder as the rubber blade loses its flexibility to flip with direction of wipe. Or that's the theory.

On 08/04/2021 at 17:14, Blorin said:

Hello!
I'm driving a 2019 Kodi, 2,0 190bhp, Style. My issue is related to the front wipers:  they have their own life, starting to wipe, justvout of the blue. Automatic wipers - disabled. 

The same started happening on my wife's Karoq last week. At first it was only after turning a corner but has now started doing it at any time. Car is into the dealer tomorrow so that they can put it on the diagnostics machine. Personally I have my doubts on them getting an answer that way & suspect it will need an inspection of the wiring in the steering column.

These last days everything seems to be normal. It's raining here, since yesterday, but no peculiar behavior only normal functioning. As the dealer mentioned, they haven't identified any software, sensor, or lever malfunction. However, they rewrote the software just so, to eliminate any doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife's car has still been getting intermittent wipes since the first visit to the dealer. After 2 visits to them, the first for only an hour so they could put her car on the diagnostics computer, nothing found, but intermittent isolated at that time, & another today where they have had the car all day & supposedly 20 miles of driving, the dealer says they can't do anything, & they wouldn't escalate it to Skoda UK, my wife has called Skoda UK & they've opened a case, with a case number & will be contacting the dealer. Hopefully something will come of this. :wondering:

Blorin, maybe you should escalate to whoever is the main Skoda power in Romania? Maybe then something the wheels may start turning to try & isolate your problem. If enough people complain then it cannot be ignored.

Yesterday I let them know, once again, about the reappeared issue. Next week they will do some new tests, including a full electrical check.

• 3 months later...

Here we are now, four months later with - finally - the issue solved! After several visits in the dealers office during these months, they have changed the lever (once again), reinstalled the software, remotely controlled by some factory's technical representatives. The last weeks., the wipers were permanently ”alive”, so, now I have to change also the windshield, because of the sand&dust marks generated by the dry functioning of the blades. Unfortunately, there is no way to change the windshield on the guaranty, so I have to use the insurance, since I already have some small pebble marks in three areas.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Dappernut said:

Do I undersatand you correctly, in that changing the windscreen solved it?

I don’t think he said that at all.  He said the dealer finally solved it, but the screen had got scratched by all the dry wiping.

• Like 1

I read it as,

' I changed the windscreen because of all the marks left by testing the NEW wiper lever.'

' but the testing was done with a dry windscreen so this has left marks on the glass'

Thanks, AG Falco

I was asking because on previous cars I've seen auto wipers behave oddly if there something affecting the associated sensor behind the windscreen.  Never as described by the OP to be fair, but odd none the less.

As far as they say, two levers changed, of which one solved the issue. But I assume they have made several checks&changes, as without errors no guarantee may be invoked.