Still thinking about selling Yeti.....?

Stubod

One point of mild hybrids with manufacturers & now the VW Group with 1.0 / 1.5 TSI's is there will be no issues with DQ200 DSG's even though VW deny there ever has been.

The cars move off in Electric and are very smooth to drive and they can use less petrol so can be polluting less and Stop / Start can be seemless meaning no need for drivers to switch it off.

Push the accelerator and move off in electric. 

You get easy to drive, and not easy to work heating / fan speed etc as knobs and buttons become touch screen and touch and vibrate placement areas.

Edited by e-Roottoot

But we now have to live in fear of some scrote jacking it up and cutting the cat off coz hybrids are in favour with those who deal in such things.

And we're not talking of a couple of hundred quid to fix it either.

I live in a relatively crime free area but my local rag tells us the cats are getting nicked in broad daylight in carparks that are both isolated AND full of people going about their business.

And, indeed, who is gonna approach two or three thugs who are brazen enough to jack a car up, cut the cat off with a grinder and drive off with it?  They're gonna be hyped (or even drugged) up and equipped with tools of their trade.  I don't think I would .... I've already been car jacked once, and that was bad enough.

Well, I know you're speaking with tongue in cheek but I keep seeing that we're advised to get the cat(alytic converter) etched or marked in some way (I believe some garages do it free, maybe as part of some sort of theft prevention scheme) .... but I ask myself if the scumbags who have identified your car - then jacked it up - and psych'd themselves up for a quick removal job - are gonna say to themselves ... " oh, I won't nick this one as it's got a fancy number stamped on it".  And something tells me it's gonna get sawn off no matter.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, oldstan said:

Well, I know you're speaking with tongue in cheek but I keep seeing that we're advised to get the cat(alytic converter) etched or marked in some way (I believe some garages do it free, maybe as part of some sort of theft prevention scheme) .... but I ask myself if the scumbags who have identified your car - then jacked it up - and psych'd themselves up for a quick removal job - are gonna say to themselves ... " oh, I won't nick this one as it's got a fancy number stamped on it".  And something tells me it's gonna get sawn off no matter.

Are they stealing them to as a cat to sell as used replacement part or just for the precious metals inside? If the latter I can't see the security etching making much difference.

Not really sure why the criminals are targeting hybrids anyway, do they have different cats?     

I reckon in a year or two the Dacia Duster might have a look in as a Yeti 4x4 replacement. The current model is streets behind the Yeti in build quality but the latest Sandero is a big step forward so the next Duster may be worth a look.

I really like the Volvo XC40 but as others have said its in a different price league from Skoda.

Edited by juan27

Are they stealing them to as a cat to sell as used replacement part or just for the precious metals inside? If the latter I can't see the security etching making much difference.

Not really sure why the criminals are targeting hybrids anyway, do they have different cats?     

It is my understanding that both apply ... some go to scrap merchants who are happy to turn an, illegally, blind eye and who harvest the precious metals from them (which have rocketed in price recently) - and some go on Ebay to be sold to people that have that have theirs nicked.

It is also my understanding that the next Dacia Duster is to be be a 7 seater based on something called a 'Bigster'.  But all that could change.

What a pity that Dacia didn't take the trouble to ensure the new Sandero achieved a better NCAP result.  I acknowledge that, apparently, it is of sound construction and won't fold up in a crash like a Mini Metro used to and was marked down due to them not fitting the latest crash avoidance systems that are now expected to be fitted. But it still only has an Adult Occupancy rating of 70%, which, compared to some others, isn't great. It won't stop everyone buying one but those that take notice of NCAP figures won't like 3 stars when the norm is now at least four, and preferably five. 

Forgot to say that Hybrids apparently appeal because they get less clogged up or otherwise deteriorated due to the fact that an electric motor does some of the work that a non hybrid would do, thust keeping them in better nick. (intentional pun). But don't quote me as I know remarkably little, it's only what I read in the paper.

Further edit ...... I also read that newr hybrid cars have the cat fitted in places that are harder to get to - plus I read that newer cats use less of the precious metals than they used to - but I can't offer a technical reason for that.

I also gather that the CATLOC anti theft device that Toyota sell for a couple hundred pounds, is not the ultimate deterrent. See the forums for people that found out the hard way although there must be cases where it was a deterrent and the owners simply didn't know that they came close to losing their cat.  There was one case quoted where the thieves saw the CATLOC and decided against attempting the proposed theft ... BUT ... out of spite they put the arm of their trolley jack under the cat and lowered the car and squashed the aforementioned cat thus causing as much (if not more) damage.

It has been much publicized that (earlier model) Jazz , Prius and Auris models are hardest hit but, locally, an elderly Toyota Camry was recently attacked in the (vast) public car park of a major store near to me in broad daylight. And my mate's old Hyundai i800 people carrier was done in the CostCo carpark in north London in broad daylight.

Edited by oldstan

The thing about a Kia Soul was its very close to the height ,driving height / position and interior space of the yeti,I’m 6.2  tall ,the soul has panoramic sun roof and has plenty of head room,quite a bit more than the shortage we also looked at and as for the kamiq we tried too dark interior and far to low driving position not to mention the quality of the finish.

1 hour ago, oldstan said:

Forgot to say that Hybrids apparently appeal because they get less clogged up or otherwise deteriorated due to the fact that an electric motor does some of the work that a non hybrid would do, thust keeping them in better nick. (intentional pun). But don't quote me as I know remarkably little, it's only what I read in the paper.

I read something similar, but you'd think a latest reg very low mileage petrol car cat would be in better nick than an old Prius' one.  

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, buying a new car can be more of a headache rather than a joy. Was considering a Karoq at the time but due to the 1.5 engine problems kicked it into touch. The XC40 is more expensive but by the time I'd specced up a Karoq with reasonable extras including a tow-bar it was well over £30k. and an XC40 2.0 petrol similarly specced wasn't that much more. And parked side by side it's no contest!

We've had the Volvo for 2 years now and love it. It's bigger and rear visibility not as good as a Yeti but you get used to it, though I did spec. the rear camera.

I think we bought at the right time as the closest petrol in now mild hybrid (and fuel consumption isn't that much better) and prices have gone up. Also they have removed some of the details from the R Design and are using them on the electric variants now. If I was changing the Volvo I don't think I'd have another one now as it would be over £40k. and I wouldn't know what else to go for.

So will probably pay it off and keep it for a few years as it is just what we want. May return to the VWG at some point when forced to go all electric as there won't be their engines and gearboxes to worry about! 

Chris

• Like 2

I converted my beloved Yeti to a T cross 1.5 year ago. I was skeptical at the beginning but I never regret. My primary thought when buying a car is my height. T cross has so much technology on it when compared to Yeti and 1.0 Tsi is much better engine than 1.2 tsi and a bit more punchy. 20K trouble free kms so far. 

As per previous "farewell" post I recently took the difficult decision to trade-in the Yeti. I've gone for a Mercedes C200 AMG estate. I really struggled to find anything SUV-wise that compared to the Yeti. Cars, to me, are much more than just functional lumps of metal, and the car has to make me feel good about paying for it every month! (I tend to get a cheap loan and pay over 4-5 years, keeping the car for up to 10). The Merc definitely makes me happy, it feels a special car, and it also has a bigger boot which was one of the major reasons for trading up. I thought I'd miss the lofty driving position of the Yeti, but I've barely noticed....perhaps the biggest fear was parking the new car, what with it being a fair bit longer than the Yeti, and my lack of a driveway, but the damn thing parks itself!

17 hours ago, cppgr said:

I converted my beloved Yeti to a T cross 1.5 year ago. I was skeptical at the beginning but I never regret. My primary thought when buying a car is my height. T cross has so much technology on it when compared to Yeti and 1.0 Tsi is much better engine than 1.2 tsi and a bit more punchy. 20K trouble free kms so far. 

How did you find refinement and ride compliance/comfort compared to your Yeti?

4 hours ago, Expatman said:

How did you find refinement and ride compliance/comfort compared to your Yeti?

10 years difference is huge.

My yeti let me once on turbo issue on holidays. I changed the tensioner etc once. Brakes were weak. And I couldn't start easily the car on steep uphill. 

T cross has more torque, is quite, good brakes, full LED, ACC, rear view camera, android auto, rear traffic assist + blind spot assist. Good consumption. ... etc.

Its perfect for second car, which is the reason I bought it, but it covers adequately even some of my first car duties. 

Edited by cppgr

3 hours ago, cppgr said:

10 years difference is huge.

My yeti let me once on turbo issue on holidays. I changed the tensioner etc once. Brakes were weak. And I couldn't start easily the car on steep uphill. 

T cross has more torque, is quite, good brakes, full LED, ACC, rear view camera, android auto, rear traffic assist + blind spot assist. Good consumption. ... etc.

Its perfect for second car, which is the reason I bought it, but it covers adequately even some of my first car duties. 

Thanks - how much more comfortable would you say the T-Cross is than the Yeti - on a scale of 1-10 say? I’ve seen reviews that suggest the T-Roc is more comfortable and quiet than the T-Cross but difficult to gauge different reviewers so a personal opinion of someone who has driven and owned both a T-Cross and Yeti, like you, is so much more valuable!

21 hours ago, Expatman said:

Thanks - how much more comfortable would you say the T-Cross is than the Yeti - on a scale of 1-10 say? I’ve seen reviews that suggest the T-Roc is more comfortable and quiet than the T-Cross but difficult to gauge different reviewers so a personal opinion of someone who has driven and owned both a T-Cross and Yeti, like you, is so much more valuable!

The only thing I miss from Yeti is rear independent suspension.

Other than that T cross is better car, more quite and refined. Even it is "town car" with ACC on you can easily do safe journeys on the motorway doing nothing apart from trying to avoid feel asleep.

Surprised at the comment that the difference in 10 years is huge. I don't think cars have moved on that much in that period as they were refined then and I think it comes down more to the model/trim level.

Surprise for me is that when I drove home after test driving the XC40 is that my Yeti still felt good! And that isn't a negative for the Volvo as that is a nice drive.

Only car I've owned that is a cut above the rest was my 2013 Audi A6 Avant Black Edition. That was lovely to be in and very quiet even though it was a diesel.

Thing is that you soon get used to a different car as long as they come from the same market segment.

Chris

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1