Still thinking about selling Yeti.....?

Stubod

Hi all,

Sorry that I am resurrecting an old post regarding Yeti alternatives. I intended to sell early last year and posted regarding suitable alternatives. Suffice to say these plans all got put on hold when covid struck. Despite only doing about 3k miles since last year my thoughts have turned once more to finding a suitable replacement. My preference at the mo is still a Vitara auto simply as I can't really seem to find anything more suitable, (although I could be tempted by a Volvo XC40 or Mazda CX30, but these seem a costly option to get a decent spec).

Just out of interest I put my details into WBAC. and the value (they are offering) for my current Yeti has actually gone up, and is pretty much the same as they were offering last year!

..Karoq is too big for me, I may have a look at a Kamiq, but I don't consider this to be a true replacement to the Yeti, and it does not seem to be that much taller than a "normal" saloon / hatchback?

Also fancied a change after 4 Skoda's over the last 16 years!

I almost went for Seat Arona 1.0 TGI when I was looking for different cars. 

Eventually I got to my senses and bought a 4WD Yeti. 

Seat would have been almost new and twice the price of (2010) Yeti, CNG/petrol powered but no 4WD option. There was a sweet FR trim one for sale back then and it was tempting :) 

• Like 1

...yes an Arona was originally on my "next car" list as well as VW T-Roc, Audi Q2, Skoda Kamiq, Volvo XC40, Mazda CX30.....

Edited by Stubod

When we started to look to replace our Yeti nearly 18 months ago we found there was very little choice in our price range and requirements. We needed a petrol following my retirement but it had to be able to tow a 1100 kg caravan and still have a slightly higher seating area. Choice eventually came down to the Hyundai Ioniq, the Kia Niro HEV or a Volvo. The Hyundai would only just fit with the towing requirement, the Volvo was just too damned expensive, so we bought the Niro and are very pleased with it.

• Like 2

Closest to Yeti in terms of size, seating height etc. is the VW T-Cross, you will have to do without many of the extras you can get with the Yeti but it gets good reviews. Go a little bigger then you could look at the T-Roc, it’s said to be one of the most refined Crossovers/SUV's drives in terms of comfort and lack of cabin noise; but again somewhat utilitarian cabins lacking soft touch materials, goodies etc. Otherwise Peugeot 2008, Captur, Vauxhall Mokka etc. etc. etc.!!! 

A possible left field choice is the Honda Crosstar, a bit smaller than the Yeti but with cavernous cabin and comes with a load of extras as standard. It's a true Hybrid using the ICE to drive a generator which powers an electric drive motor. It does use a direct ICE connection to the wheels at higher speeds and hard acceleration but mainly electric powered. Height is a bit taller than Kamiq but in line with the vast majority of small crossovers. Might be worth a look.

• Like 2

I think I'm coming to the end of the road with my Yeti. It's been a fantastic car, owned since 2012 (it's a 59-plate).

None of the current crop of similar SUV-type cars really match what I'm looking for. I find the Karoq a bit dull, and the Volvo (which I would love) is, as stated above, just too damn expensive.

My latest consideration is to head into the estate-market, and top of the list is a Mercedes C200 AMG. They have a 1.5l v.mild hybrid motor, and tons of space as you'd expect. Some 2018 plates kicking about for ~£20k  :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BobbyG79 said:

I think I'm coming to the end of the road with my Yeti. It's been a fantastic car, owned since 2012 (it's a 59-plate).

None of the current crop of similar SUV-type cars really match what I'm looking for. I find the Karoq a bit dull, and the Volvo (which I would love) is, as stated above, just too damn expensive.

My latest consideration is to head into the estate-market, and top of the list is a Mercedes C200 AMG. They have a 1.5l v.mild hybrid motor, and tons of space as you'd expect. Some 2018 plates kicking about for ~£20k  :)

Best of luck, we are all going to face your dilemma some time and are likely to have the same problem - what do you replace a Yeti with? I’ve been looking during lockdown and have come to the conclusion that there is no easy replacement so you either compromise to a Kamiq or T-Cross (or similar) or go a totally different way like you are doing.. Best of luck.

PS I like the XC40 as well but it’s just too big for my needs.

• Like 2

Was lucky enough to change from the yeti to a Kia Soul sport nearly 3 years ago,no 4wd but don’t miss it (didn’t realise it had stopped working on the yeti for a number of months) and the soul sport is better in every way and a pleasure to drive,still really enjoying it and if I had to change the Xc 40 looks about right but far too expensive so more than happy with the sport and never missed the yeti but enjoyed for the 4 years We owned it.onward and upwards as they say and dodged the bullet with the karot  jumping 1.5 engine so win win.

• Like 2

I have several issues with the Kamiq.

The interior quality is obviously more Scala/Fabia than Octavia/Superb

The platform is also the MQB AO platform and the most powerful versions can only tow 1250kg. (Yeti 2100kg)

And the seating position is more Scala Scout than SUV.

Looking at the Kamiq 1.5 SEL and Karoq 1.5SEL the lists are £26k vs £29k . The Karoq feels like a £29k car, the Kamiq doesn't feel like a £26k car.

So for me it's either go bigger and go Karoq or swap manufacturers. The Kamiq is no Yeti replacement for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

H

Hi all, and thanks for the replies. Ref the Kamiq in the last comment, I was starting to consider one, but again they do not seem to "match" the quality of the Yeti and seem a little overpriced for what they are and not really an "SUV" IMHO?

I did consider an Arona which although still not Yeti "quality", seems to offer better value for money.

Edited by Stubod

Probably a thread in its own right, but I am not a great fan of pure hybrids as I can't get my head around using an IC engine to charge a battery to power a car? I can't believe that you get that much of a boost from regenerative braking, and most people I know who have them don't seem to get any better economy than a straight IC powered car. I manage 44mpg out of the AWD Yeti, and our other car is a 1.5 petrol (Mazda), that averages 55mpg. OK I accept fuel economy is mainly down to driving style and the type of journey you are doing.

I can see the value of a plug in hybrid if you are doing regular shortish trips, and I can also see the benefit of all electric cars now they are getting 100+ miles. But I can't help thinking that a straight hybrid is a bit of a con to meet some arbitrary government emissions target....a bit like Stop / Start?...but that's just me....

• Like 1

@StubodNo idea what a Pure Hybrid is, there are Plug in Hybrids and self charging / mild hybrids and there are Plug in Hybrids that charge a battery with the ICE and the battery drives the wheels not the liquid fuel engine.

Business users might well see the sense economically from the tax saving, and there are Taxis that are finding a Diesel Hybrid a great saving on their overheads.

There are also those private drivers that get cheap or free charging & do shorter journeys and run just on Electric and do not actually need to use petrol unless they do want to do longer trips and then they have not the issues that there can be with owning and running a pure EV.

Edited by e-Roottoot

Honda ICE uses an to Atkinson cycle engine which is inherently more efficient than an Otto cycle engine. Atkinson engines do not provide power of Otto cycle but are ideal for running a generator to charge the battery or directly power the electric motor. The balance between pure electric and motor assisted is computed to keep the motive force in it's most efficient mode, thus maximizing MPG. There is a video explaining the way it works on YouTube but the Honda power transmission is tuned for max efficiency. 

Edited by Expatman

...I'm not sure what a pure hybrid is either!!.....I think I meant "self charging" as opposed to plug in. At work we use the Honda CRV self charge hybrid and we are lucky if we get 33 mpg, and we can't even get off the carpark before the ICE kicks in, so I don't really see the point? Also they use the truly awful CV transmission which seems to sap power and makes it seem like you are slipping the clutch all the time! For me, at this moment in time it's only going to be conventional ICE, then maybe full electric at some point in the future.

3 hours ago, Stubod said:

Probably a thread in its own right, but I am not a great fan of pure hybrids as I can't get my head around using an IC engine to charge a battery to power a car? I can't believe that you get that much of a boost from regenerative braking, and most people I know who have them don't seem to get any better economy than a straight IC powered car. I manage 44mpg out of the AWD Yeti, and our other car is a 1.5 petrol (Mazda), that averages 55mpg. OK I accept fuel economy is mainly down to driving style and the type of journey you are doing.

I can see the value of a plug in hybrid if you are doing regular shortish trips, and I can also see the benefit of all electric cars now they are getting 100+ miles. But I can't help thinking that a straight hybrid is a bit of a con to meet some arbitrary government emissions target....a bit like Stop / Start?...but that's just me....

Well that certainly isn't my experience of the Niro Self Charging Hybrid.
My charge figure can easily reach 100% on long downhill sections, and the braking effect is very useful,  and I am continuously now getting +60mpg.

• Like 3

Traded my Yeti this week. End of an era for me after 8 years of Yeti ownership. Yeti has been the best car I've ever owned. My driving needs have changed also, so no need for diesel and no need for 4x4. Now have a Karoq SE 1.0tsi. So far so good. Pleasantly surprised with the 1.0tsi 3cyl unit. I test drove the 1.5 also. For my needs, which is a lot of town and city driving now, I could not justify the 1.5tsi. Very pleased so far. 

On 11/04/2021 at 21:01, Parkesie said:

Kia Soul is a quirky looking thing that I’d consider

Or the Nissan Cube. I like quirky cars as previously I had the bug Multipla and then the Roomster. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

• Like 1