Tyre Advice please

Hi, I am needing to replace some of the tyres on our Superb estate 220tsi

I prefer Michelin tyres generally, but i am unsure weather to fit Pilot Sport 4's, or Primacy 4 tyres.

Has anyone run either or both on 220 and can offer me some advice?

I like the idea of better wear on the Primacy tyres, but it would be nice to have a little better grip from the PS4's

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Depends what kind of mileage you do I guess as to if you will get the full benefit of the primacy 4 tyres. If you are doing big motorway miles they may be the better option. 

I changed to Pilot Sport 4s's recently and they changed the whole feel of the car, my usage is going to go right down in the next couple of months so they are going to last forever anyway which is why I went for them

Get round ones; according to Alfred Neubauer's diaries, Mercedes tried using square ones in the 1930s, but the drivers complained about unacceptable levels of vibration.

Edited by KenONeill

Mythbusters tried it to, worked if you went nice and fast!

I might just prefer round ones though, so think shaady might have the right answer!

12 hours ago, Pessimal said:

Hi, I am needing to replace some of the tyres on our Superb estate 220tsi

I prefer Michelin tyres generally, but i am unsure weather to fit Pilot Sport 4's, or Primacy 4 tyres.

Has anyone run either or both on 220 and can offer me some advice?

I like the idea of better wear on the Primacy tyres, but it would be nice to have a little better grip from the PS4's

Let me know what you think, thanks!

Pilot sport 4 are a summer sporty tyre, primacy are summer touring tyre

What do you use car for, lively drives along winding roads, or long journeys on  motorways and good roads.

Ultimately if you drive the car hard on winding roads you will never get high mileage from any tyre.  It’s simple physics, there is a trade off between soft enough to grip well and hard enough to resist wear.

Both will be good in warmer weather or when tyres warmed up.  Both will be terrible in cold weather, grip will fall off below about +11c  (and there are lots of mornings below that in UK)

The 220 is enough power to spin wheels in wet with either of these if you attempt to use them November- April.  If you want to enjoy that power all year, either fit performance all seasons, or have your summer fun, then swap to winter tyres.  (Sounds like you are intending to buy tyres anyway)

If you go for PS4 then swap them front back about every 10-12k miles (13-15k miles for touring tyres), otherwise will end up with 2 tyres with lot less tread that need replacing.   If you are doing seasonal swaps just do it when you swap them anyway.

If you buy winter tyres, and even the tread wear by putting biggest tread on front each time you swap, then should be able to get to 50k+ miles before you need to buy 5th new tyre (assuming no punctures).   

Although you like Michelin, if you want to go all season I would suggest Vredestein Quatrac Pro is better than general use Michelin cross climate+ in a performance car.

• Like 1

Our car gets used for a bit of everything really, i like to push on and have a bit of fun, but it also get used for trips abroad (remember those!!) and commuting.

I have separate winter tyres on different rims, so as these are purely for summer use, i think i'm going to plump for the pilot sports.

I think that the extra safety/performance given by better performing tyres is worth more to me than the £50 i might save in fuel over 3 years from the primacy tyres. Hopefully they might tame some of the wheel spin i get sometimes from pulling out of junctions with a little gusto, and if the worst ever happens, i like to hope that stopping a metre or 2 earlier might avoid the accident.

Thanks everyone

9 hours ago, Pessimal said:

Our car gets used for a bit of everything really, i like to push on and have a bit of fun, but it also get used for trips abroad (remember those!!) and commuting.

I have separate winter tyres on different rims, so as these are purely for summer use, i think i'm going to plump for the pilot sports.

I think that the extra safety/performance given by better performing tyres is worth more to me than the £50 i might save in fuel over 3 years from the primacy tyres. Hopefully they might tame some of the wheel spin i get sometimes from pulling out of junctions with a little gusto, and if the worst ever happens, i like to hope that stopping a metre or 2 earlier might avoid the accident.

Thanks everyone

I also have winter tyres.

I also use my Mk3 as a daily car and for really everything.

I also like to push sometimes to have a bit of fun (though 'only' a TDI190).

And... I also chose 4 PS4 for my summer tyres. I don't regret it. Very good grip, even in tight turns / roundabouts, whatever dry or wet/greasy roads. Very good feedbacks in the steering wheel, and steering has become much sharper and precise.

Only a personal feedback, that may help you... or not. Just my opinion. ;)