Glow plug relay

Morning everyone i put a post up last week about my mk 1 octavia 1.9tdi 04 plate estate .I had a look over it yesterday and took down the cover that covers the relays .So the glow plug relay 103 im guessing .So i took it apart so i could view it better and see what was happening .So this morning from cold i put the ignition on it clicked in fine for only 3 to 4 seconds then clicks back out .now from me working on cars for over 20 years thats no where near long enough to heat the glow plugs.Anyway i did it 3 time and it started fine but i then noteiced the relay had clicked back in again while it was running .Bear in mind this is another relay ive fitted in this morning so the one i took out is working fine .is there anything on the car that gives it the timer for how long it stays on glowing for .and is it normal for it to click back in while its running .many thanks matt

I have no idea to be honnest .I have worked on enough cars and i no that it ant glowing for long enough .thanks for your reply though .I think i may post it up on a facebook page as theres not alot of help in here is there .Thanks again

I have no idea how this site works .it can be hard sometimes at work to get on a computer then it blocks half the sites lol that's government for you .

Glow plugs spend most of their time on post starting that they do pre starting. That might be why you heard the relay come on again. helps with combustion in cold temperatures and probably uses the CTS to cut back out again

It is if the glow plugs are working correctly, have you checked them all? The post glow helps to stop the smoke on colds starts more than pre glow does. If you have excessive smoke its probably more to do with other issues with the fuel system like the injectors

On the pre-PD engines you could adjust the glow time but I don't think you can on a PD but all you will be doing is masking your problems anyway

I had a 1.9 tdi (pd130) engined mk4 golf, never waited for the glow plug light to go out except on the coldest days... even then it was never on as long as 4 seconds.. 

It's the old tdi it's not pd all glow plugs are brand new .it's the smoke you get when your trying to start a diesel and you don't give the glow plugs longs enough to glow once it's warm it fires every time perfect. 

• Like 1