Cruise control not working going in for repair

F0ster

Well I didn’t expect that I picked the car up last Friday and the cruise control is not working. When it is set it’s as if it’s putting the throttle down then lifting it off, all the time it is slowing down. Also the display for what gear to be in flicks from 6 to 6>5 to 6 again.

It also has a problem with Stop/Start as well, when I stop the engine will stop but then starts up within 2-3 seconds no matter what electrics I am running at the time, ‘no air con, lights, heater, rear screen, etc’.

Not bad for a car thats only 3 days old and 150 miles on the clock when it was spotted.

Into the garage Monday though to there credit they could have got it in the day I phoned (last Wednesday) if they had a loan car available.

1 hour ago, gumdrop said:

Which model of car have you got? just for my curiosity.

It's a 1.0 SE TSI manual

Just added it to my signature

14 hours ago, F0ster said:

It also has a problem with Stop/Start as well, when I stop the engine will stop but then starts up within 2-3 seconds no matter what electrics I am running at the time,

If you move the steering wheel ever so slightly, the engine will restart.

5 hours ago, torslunde said:

If you move the steering wheel ever so slightly, the engine will restart.

I've parked up Handbrake on hands off the steering wheel foot off the brake and still it ether does not stop, or it starts again after 3 seconds or it just dips the revs and then ticks over normally and that is with nothing else switched on. :angry: :angry:

2 hours ago, F0ster said:

I've parked up Handbrake on hands off the steering wheel foot off the brake and still it ether does not stop, or it starts again after 3 seconds or it just dips the revs and then ticks over normally and that is with nothing else switched on. :angry: :angry:

Your informant is on and maybe your radio and other electrical systems that need to be on esim and more they all use power 

16 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

Your informant is on and maybe your radio and other electrical systems that need to be on esim and more they all use power 

You are correct but when I said nothing was on I really meant nothing unnecessary was on, I even turned the clock off on the display just to rule out every bit of power drain at all.

Car went in this morning for the Cruise control and I got a Scala as a loan car.

It worked as it should, the cruise control is smooth to the point I didn’t feel it trying to adjust the speed.

The Stop/Start stopped the engine for at least 60 seconds (traffic lights went to green) and in the queue at Starbucks it worked correctly in that it stopped every time I inched forwards,

once it restarted only to stop after a few seconds, when the battery was up to the correct voltage, and then stopped again, now to me that is the correct way it should work .

Emma from the dealer just phoned and told me it will be ready tomorrow when they have changed the indicator stalk.

I’ll let you know if it works, fingers crossed.

Picked the car up this morning and all is well the Cruise Control is working well and the Stop/Start is as well, I tested it as I stopped for at least 4 minutes and it was as it should be.

Happy days, the problem was the indicator stalk they had one sent up overnight and it was fitted and tested by 11.00 am so I’m a happy boy.:party: :party: :party: :party:

Edited by F0ster
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry to re-ignite an old thread, but you have just described EXACTLY the problem we have had. We had a Scala. It did EXACTLY the problem you describe. Cruise control felt like it was repeatedly pressing the brake peddle and the gear indicator would continually make crazy recommendations between 5th and 6th, then recommend 1st, 2nd at 60mph. It was repaired, but still did it to some degree. We changed it for a Kamiq and on the first outing, an SOS warning came onto the dash board and the cruise control has failed. The Kamiq is with the garage and we have a different Kamiq for a loan car. Again, first trip out, it's like being back in the Scala, the cruise control feels like it is repeatedly pressing the brake peddle while you are driving. None of these vehicles have ACC. 

Surely we can't be the unluckiest customers in the world to get multiple vehicles which all have the same problem???

any ideas? 

No I don't believe you were just unlucky, our saga did not end where I left it. At about 6 month old the cruise control would sometimes not initialise when I turned the ignition on and I would have to switch off and try again. This sometimes meant I would have to pull over stop so I could switch off and restart sometimes up to 4 times. The Stop/Start very often would not work correctly and before people say that it depends on what electrics I am using I would switch EVERYTHING off even after a half hour drive on the motorway the Stop/Start did not work correctly. All my local dealer would say was ‘There are no fault codes to read so we can’t do anything ‘.

At the first year service I told them again that the fault was still there and again the answer was ‘There are no fault codes to read so we can’t do anything ‘. Now at this, one of the mechanics was in reception and he piped up ‘Isn’t that the same as the red one we had the other week, as that was just a setting in the ECU that needed tweeking takes a couple of minutes’ He said it was a voltage setting that was slightly high on something.

You’ve never seen a set of key passed across a desk as quick in you life ‘I’ll wait’ I said, off he went and a couple of minutes later he returned and said that it was done.

Since then the Cruise control and the Stop/Start has worked perfectly, we went the south of france in the car and after a long run at around 80 the car was great.

56 minutes ago, GilbertS said:

Interestingly I spoke to someone at VW today who said that this is a recognised fault in the VAG range of cars and there is a fix, but apparently only VW and Audi have it. Skoda and Seat don't yet. That doesn't seem logical to me

If one has the fix every one should have it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/05/2021 at 17:44, F0ster said:

That sounds like the voltage from the battery is low. Our Kamiq will set with the engine off for infinity until it says a manual restart is required.

Ah sorry Foster saw this is an old bumped thread.

Only issue our Kamiq has (and I must stress it's rare it does this) sometimes I start the car to activate the Cruise/Limiter switch and it says cruise is not available. A quick restart of the car solves this.

Edited by AJ89