Fake Overheating? Skoda Octavia... Advice needed!

4x4 SE L Octavia Estate 2.0 150

82,000 miles

When driving normally at 62MPH (on cruise) my temp guage flew of the chart!

See photo...

I employed the old idea of turning my heating up to Hi, this remedied the situation and the gauge returned to 90°. 

I then attempted to reset my climate to 21° on auto and moments later the temp guage flew back up to around 130°.

This has happened twice in the last 10,000 miles. Both times I pulled over, checked the coolant level, turned the car off, waited a moment and the drove on without further issue meaning to Google the symptom. Neither times was the coolant reservoir hot to the touch or changing in anyway...

I have seen remarks from "simple coolant flush needed" to "head gaskets gone mate, throw it in the bin".

Any advice on a known issue with these Octavias and coolant temp readings? 

PXL_20210518_211841006.jpg

Hello there,

I am assuming that your car is a pre-facelift car (<2017). If so, the issue will be the first "warning" that your water pump is about to fail. It is a known issue on all pre-facelift models. If your coolant is cold, then this tell me there is no movement in the cooling system. Dealer attention urgently reqd.

If it is a 2018 or later, then either there is a coolant blockage; an air lock in the cooling system or most potential concerning is split silicate bag in the header tank which is causing chaos in the cooling system and the system will need fflushing. Can you photo the state of your coolant header tank? Finally consider a failing thermostat.

Edited by varaderoguy

Sounds just like mine when the water pump was sticking, needs replacing. I was overtaking a truck on a dual carriageway when mine went into the red then back to normal again after pulling in.

Have a read here: 

• Like 1

with your car being a 2016 car, it should be due the 5 yearly cambelt change. I'd get the waterpump done at the same time.

As said above as well, if your expansion tank as 'mit silikat' on it, it'll have one of the silica bags in it as well. I'd get that whipped out as well before you have the work done.

• Like 1