Spare wheel?

Eirhead

Does anyone know where I can purchase an extension for the tyre valve for the spare wheel in the well of my Combi? To check the tyre's pressure means removing the wheel from the well; which requires the styrene caddy for the jack and tools needs to be removed. An extension would enable me to check the wheel more conveniently and without this faffing around.

2 hours ago, Eirhead said:

Does anyone know where I can purchase an extension for the tyre valve for the spare wheel in the well of my Combi? To check the tyre's pressure means removing the wheel from the well; which requires the styrene caddy for the jack and tools needs to be removed. An extension would enable me to check the wheel more conveniently and without this faffing around.

If your spare tyre doesn't have a slow leak, you will only lose about 3psi or 4psi every 6 months. Pump your spare up to 44psi, and after two years it should still have about 32psi. ie. pump up once every two years.

The first time you check your spare tyre, check it after 3 months to make sure that the original 44psi has only gone down to about 40psi. If it's gone done to much less than this, then it has a slow leak. This could be caused by the rim being in poor condition (maybe corroded) where the tyre bead sits, or simply a screw/nail that has penetrated the tyre at some point.

• Love it! 1

Thank you, Carlston. I like easy answers, especially those that save money, as well. I'll check, and leave well alone, assuming the tyre is holding its pressure.

I agree with Carston, adding a valve extension could just end up adding another possible source of leakage. Give the spare a pressure-check when you have a chuck-out / clean-up of the load bay.

Edited by Warrior193
added note.