Dashcam fitment.

Evening all, I'm hoping that somebody can give me some advice. I'm considering a dashcam plus rear window camera, to be fitted and hardwired by a local garage, but there are three concerns in my mind :-

(1) I'm sure I read somewhere on here that the cable for the rear window camera has to go on one side of the car and not the other, to avoid interference with the radio or something, but I can't find it.

(2) A bit of online advice on a stockist's website was that I must make sure that a dashcam would not interfere with the function of any camera or sensors located within the mirror housing on the windscreen, and said to consult the car's owner's manual - it would take a better man than me to even find such a thing in the Skoda manual, let alone understand what it might say, so does anyone have any knowledge of this?

(3) It would seem that, according to UK law, nothing attached to the windscreen must protrude more that 40mm into the area swept by the wipers. On a Superb, the wipers sweep the entire screen apart from tiny areas at the top left and bottom right. On that basis I cannot fit a dashcam. Also on that basis, the mirror/camera/sensors housing and the sunshades are illegal too! Does anyone have a view on this?

Thank you, in advance, for any help you can give. 

1. I ran mine along the passenger (near) side. I don’t get interference. But the presence or absence of interference is also likely to depend on the quality of the dashcam.

2. I think this is referring to some cars having sensors on the back of the rear view mirror, looking forward through the windscreen. You obviously don’t want to stick a dashcam in front of them. The Skoda forward looking sensors are up against the glass of the screen behind the plastic cover so no chance of obstruction. 

3. Usual practice is to mount the dashcam on the screen “behind” the rear view mirror so with respect to the line of sight of the driver, it can’t really be seen from a driving position because of being obscured by the rear view mirror. If that is the law, there are lots of people breaking it! Maybe post a link to what you’ve read?

Edit: Okay, so a Google search brings up lots of information on the “within 40mm of swept area” and lots of advice about placing it so that it does not obscure the view from your driving position, e.g. https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/cameras/dash-cams-guide-installation/

Does your dashcam come with instructions on placement?

Edited by Ivan8192

I installed front and rear Blackvue dashcams into my 2020 Superb iV. 

The front camera is mounted just to the left of the interior mirror/camera/sensor 'pod' and the rear camera to the righthand side of the high-level brake light.

The wiring runs down the left hand A pillar, under the left hand door sill interior covers then up to the left hand C pillar, though the rubber wiring conduit into the tailgate. Mains power is provided by a piggyback fuse connector in the fusebox behind the glovebox (I can't remember which circuit!). 

It doesn't appear to have affected any of the electronics and the dashcams work fine, wifi to the iPhone as they should. 

IMG_7886.JPG

IMG_7883.JPG

• Like 3

Drilling that hole and using a grommet in the boot trim for the rear camera is a brilliant idea

Will show that to my installer to do as well

3 hours ago, defiant said:

Drilling that hole and using a grommet in the boot trim for the rear camera is a brilliant idea

Will show that to my installer to do as well

I was very pleased how it looks at the end (practice was on my previous Yeti and Citigo!) and it wasn't too much of a faff getting the wire through.

The front camera wires are actually neater than it looks in the picture and the camera doesn't restrict vision at all (not of anywhere you need to look!). The rear camera can't be seen in the rear view mirror which is one of the reasons I put it to one side.

Mine is mounted below the A5 Camera.

It's not visible from the driver's seat.

I went along the roof liner, down the A-pillar and into the fuse panel behind the glovebox.

IMAG4000.thumb.jpg.20d0f6036fb93929ae3d6fbad0a6dbed.jpgdashcam.thumb.jpg.081cd56bac884c1f3de060e47274e26e.jpg1182150775_a-pillarsuperb.thumb.jpeg.5e10818b125899501fb703dce5db688c.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi guys,I’ve got a Nextbase GW522 in mine,mounted on the passenger side,hidden behind the rear view mirror. It came with the option of adding a rear view module,which just plugs into the side of the camera,thus removing the need to run any cables along the length of the car. Much simpler option in my view. The quality of the footage seems spot on from what I’ve looked at in the Nextbase app,so might be worth a consideration? 
I used the Nextbase hardwire kit with mine,very easy to install,even for someone who’s never fitted one before(I’ve fitted 3 now,about 30 minutes should be enough). It comes with a piggy back due adapter,so you can just pull the heated rear screen fuse,plug the adapter in,and pop the rear screen fuse back in. 
Works well for us so far. May be worth a look for others?

Last Friday picked up my car from it's second annual service by local Skoda franchise dealer and while there enquired about cost of installing a dashcam. They quoted from £200! Local Halfords charge £35!

• 2 years later...
On 28/05/2021 at 00:44, aerofurb said:

I installed front and rear Blackvue dashcams into my 2020 Superb iV. 

The front camera is mounted just to the left of the interior mirror/camera/sensor 'pod' and the rear camera to the righthand side of the high-level brake light.

The wiring runs down the left hand A pillar, under the left hand door sill interior covers then up to the left hand C pillar, though the rubber wiring conduit into the tailgate. Mains power is provided by a piggyback fuse connector in the fusebox behind the glovebox (I can't remember which circuit!). 

It doesn't appear to have affected any of the electronics and the dashcams work fine, wifi to the iPhone as they should. 

IMG_7886.JPG

IMG_7883.JPG

How could you manage to run the back cam cable though the rubber wiring conduit into the tailgate? How could you loosen the conduit? Thanks!

The rubber wiring conduit should pull pretty easily from the plastic clip that holds in place.

I used a medium sized cable-tie with the dashcam cable held to it with insulation tape to take the dashcam cable through the rubber wiring conduit. Then a bit of jiggery-pokery will get the cable to sit nicely in the conduit and the conduit should then go back into place.

Pictures attached of when I did it previously on my Yeti. They should give you an idea of what holds the rubber conduit in place. Hope that helps.

IMG_9880.JPG

IMG_9889.JPG

• Like 1