Roof Box - Maximum Size

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Absolutely, but I reckon if anyone had given that answer at the beginning they would have been jumped on as well.

I've had way more than 75kg on my Fabias roof bars but didn't want to say that I exercised my own judgement and experience for fear of a savage attack from the safety police, but it came anyway.

Hence my tongue in cheek sketch about how decisions are actually made in real life rather than 'on the spectrum' somewhere in internet wobbly world.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

CIMG0513.JPG

Everything was fine, totally stable around corners, braking etc, you would not even have known I was carrying any load & then all of a sudden it became like a death trap, kept wanting to tip over on the slightest turn, brakes ineffective etc, I stopped to check and found that someone had parked their helicopter on the roof but they assured me it weighed less than 750kg.

There are 11 (double 6 foot) fence panels there and the posts & gravel boards to go with them, inside the boot there are lord knows how many 40kg bags of redi to mix concrete for the 8 foot posts, all ready to cross the channel to the UK. The rear suspension had uprated springs and Grayston inner helper springs.

Those were the days when the £ was strong and prices hadn't gone up here.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Well, bully for you! ;) Not everyone actually reads or follows instruction though.

Very true, without those people we wouldn't need speed cameras or accident investigators.  

• Groan 1

To go back to the query... you will be limited to a shorter up to 140cm box and move it forward unless you want to loose the opening of your boot. You can remove the arial, but I would only slide the box back as far as the tailgate still having a decent opening and ideally not clash with the box on top. If you have the box overhanging the windscreen, you will notice that the box swings quite a bit with wind and any road bumps.

• Thanks 1