Roof cargo bag

Jokkmokk

Perhaps not a Yeti subject but always nice to get input from fellow Yeti owners.

I’m looking at roof top cargo bags, I think a bag is the way to go. It would be used when I’m doing road trips and as I have made it possible to sleep in the car the whole car would be used as a base camp. 

So the roof bag would be used for storing cooking equipment and so on, things in different sizes and shapes.

I also like that the bag can be folded when stored.

Now, the main concern I have is the aerodynamics and also perhaps noise. Does anyone here have any experience of using these roof top bags?

3 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Thanks, I’ve red the post but the discussion is mostly about not to place the bag, or anything for that matter, directly on the roof (I have roof bars and would use them for the bag) and what bars he could get. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jokkmokk said:

Perhaps not a Yeti subject but always nice to get input from fellow Yeti owners.

I’m looking at roof top cargo bags, I think a bag is the way to go. It would be used when I’m doing road trips and as I have made it possible to sleep in the car the whole car would be used as a base camp. 

So the roof bag would be used for storing cooking equipment and so on, things in different sizes and shapes.

I also like that the bag can be folded when stored.

Now, the main concern I have is the aerodynamics and also perhaps noise. Does anyone here have any experience of using these roof top bags?

I have a bag in the loft, we used it twice it was in my book very good. it rained (surprise!) both times and it stayed dry.

Down side, once loaded it was difficult to remove and the access to it to remove smaller items was a pain.

Hauling the softer bulkier items like bedding and extra clothing was much better. I changed to a rear opening top box which due to the 3 pre-packed internal bags

was much easier to handle (I think it was an Ocean 80) The big bag went into the boot for overnight stops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jokkmokk said:

Thanks, I’ve red the post but the discussion is mostly about not to place the bag, or anything for that matter, directly on the roof (I have roof bars and would use them for the bag) and what bars he could get. :)

Give it a try and you will soon see why I am smiling at your intention :)

Wanna buy some plywood? :wink:

That looks like a usefull thing to buy and which will probably get used as a material sledge more than on the roof.

Once apon a time thats what a real roof rack looked like, anything less was an imposter!

Edited by J.R.

A long time ago there was a contributor on here, The Plumber, had had some roof strips fitted, he then used a roof bag apparently quite successfully without additional bars, ie just the longitudinal side bars. 

This was about 10 years ago though!!

He does visit here occasionally!

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

Give it a try and you will soon see why I am smiling at your intention :)

Wanna buy some plywood? :wink:

Haha, no need for plywood I’m sure but thanks for the offer! 

I have a bag I picked up cheap at a Rédérie, that has shown me where to put the plywood and how to fix the thing to the roof bars.

Not having really thought about it I was going to fix the plywood to the bars & then find some way of strapping the bag to it, silly in hindsight.

It will probably never get made unless one day I need the bag.