SUPERB DPF ON A LEASE CAR

morning all.  I know that the DPF has probably been done to death, but has anyone had any DPF issues on a Superb when they've only had it from new for a couple of years then handed back.  I know all the points about low mileage, and this car would mostly be doing very short school run trips . I know that petrol far better for this ( current car is Mk 3 Octavia VRS petrol DSG)  , but for good or bad as a family we've decided that we want a sunroof .  if I restrict the search just to petrols then it really is needle in a haystack stuff . it's  whether something like a 190 4x4 from new, 7,000 miles a year for 3 years and then handed back...any ideas/experience if whether the DPF will cope with that in the short term ?  thanks 

If the car is only going to be used for trips to school then i’d suggest just getting a cheap run around.

I do very little miles in my diesel but when I do drive it’s mostly on long runs.

I’ve had the regen happen several times in my ownership but never the light on the dash as most times if I notice it’s doing a regen i’ll then do a pointless trip on the motorway until I notice it goes into 6th gear again (thanks EU)

To specifically answer your question i’ve done around 2-3k a year in my car in the last 4 years and no problem at all

Edited by Danoid
  • Like 2

If all you do is short school runs then any euro6 diesel with DPF will clog up.  It’s even more likely with car rated to euro6d (so be wary of anyone saying they managed with early euro6 car), Once it starts to clog it will just get worse.  

Having it in an almost continuous wants to do a regen as soon as warm enough mode is going to use more fuel.

You are either going to have to take it for long run at intervals, or simply avoid the problem and get a petrol (or an electric) car.

If you only want a local runaround then leasing a new (or newish) car is unlikely to be best solution, get something older, use part of the money for proper full service and save overall.

Appears op lives in Scotland so change the tyres to all seasons or winters.   If you leased a car it will have Eco summer tyres on (pretty hopeless in wet below about +9c), so wouldn’t have got your kids to school in snow anyway.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

Had a Superb 2 with the 140CR diesel. Great car. Commute was one hour, 95% motorway. Never had any issue for 6 years.

I then changed jobs. Commute became 15 minutes, no motorway at all.

Within 2 months I had to go and do forced DPF regen on the highway.

Within another month I had injector failure.

You can mock me, but I honestly thought I could feel the car was not happy. It really seemed to 'miss' it's usual commute...

3 months after that I swapped it for a Superb 3 150 petrol.

• Like 2

I have a 2020 150 TDI, it has done less than 3000 miles since September last year.  Down from 25k a year due to WFH - long may it continue.

It does get a few local runs and went for about two months when it only went to my Daughters and back each week (about 2 miles each way), it has had some longer runs  local runs and, recently, some longer runs.

Not aware of having a forced regen yet.

Next one will probably be petrol.

THANKS ALL .  sounds like I might get away with it and might not . Sounds like petrol the sensible option. re getting a small or older car for the school trip, this will also be the main family car for weekends/hols etc .  I already run a "classic",  Volvo S60 T5 .  20 years old, never misses a beat, and cost me £2.5k 10 years ago....but the wife won't drive it and it will never die...and won't be replaced until it does ..or the dolphins insist on it .