Octavia IV PHEV servicing

Hello. I need to decide by tomorrow whether to go ahead with a lease on a hybrid hatchback.

Dealer tells me the car needs servicing every 12 months or 10k miles, whichever comes first and is encouraging me to get a servicing and maintenance add-on for £12pm.

It's a 3 year deal.

Is it true about the frequency of the servicing? If so then I guess the add on makes sense as it will be cheaper then paying for three individual services.

Also, can anyone summarise all the negativity about this car? Not had a chance to read the threads here properly and I need to make a decision in less than 24 hours!

Thanks 

Is that a salesperson at the dealership telling you that?

Ask the Dealer Principal in person if that is true that the car must be on a Fixed Service Regime, every 9,400 miles / 372 days, which ever comes first.

?

Ask why it can not be on Variable / Flexible servicing?

EDIT, 

this is what VW are showing for the Golf Hybrid.  Oil changes fixed and at 9,000 miles.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and-drivers/servicing/service-plans/service-schedules/electric

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Aston100 said:

Hello. I need to decide by tomorrow whether to go ahead with a lease on a hybrid hatchback.

Dealer tells me the car needs servicing every 12 months or 10k miles, whichever comes first and is encouraging me to get a servicing and maintenance add-on for £12pm.

It's a 3 year deal.

Is it true about the frequency of the servicing? If so then I guess the add on makes sense as it will be cheaper then paying for three individual services.

Also, can anyone summarise all the negativity about this car? Not had a chance to read the threads here properly and I need to make a decision in less than 24 hours!

Thanks 

I have a company car on lease. My garage said that my car, 1.4 SE L Estate phev is 20k or 2yrs whichever is first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Aston100 On a leased car, often easier to hand it back few days early than pay for a service that is pending, (the basic rule is can have service countdown warning showing, but not service now at handback), so buying the service package is a bad deal, because the package only works if you do a suitable mileage and have the car for the period in which you can utilise what you signed up to.  Otherwise just pay for the servicing when it is done.

The Brochure describes following (but it is in Additional information towards the end so copying it here for your ease) Note with flexible service intervals can be as low as every 9000 miles

Service intervals

When you order your OCTAVIA, you can choose whether your car is on a fixed or a flexible service regime. Your ŠKODA retailer will help you decide which regime suits how your car will be driven, enabling your car to stay in the best possible shape.

Fixed regime: service every 10,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first).

This is recommended if the vehicle is likely to be used in the following way:

> Driven fewer than 10,000 miles per annum.

> Mainly short journeys, driven mostly in towns or cities.

> High vehicle loading/towing and frequent hill climbs.

> Heavy accelerating and braking, using high revs.

Flexible regime: Sensors in the engine detect when a service is needed. A service light will show between 9,000 and 20,000 miles or up to 24 months (whichever comes first).

The flexible service regime is recommended for vehicles with a daily mileage of more than 25 miles where the vehicle is driven regularly and mainly at a constant speed with minimum vehicle and engine loading, minimal towing and driven in an economical manner

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/0bcfc2d5-654f-49b2-a524-91e141293e36

Are VW confusing things with their Service Information on Plug In Hybrids by making it look like YOU MUST HAVE THE CAR ON 'Fixed Servicing' to change the oil at 9,000 miles / annually on cars / engines that might actually not have the engine running often if say the 'Driver' only does 25 miles a time between each charge of the battery and only drive on Electric.  ACTUALLY 'Fixed Oil Changes' not Fixed Services.

Or is their advice because of that to only have Fixed Servicing but if you want you can leave the car on Variable and it leaves the Factory set for Variable Oil Change Intervals.

?

Are Skoda Sales Staff Confused or using confusion to Up-Sell Fixed Servicing / Service Plans?

Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 07.54.45.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

PS

The Issue with stuff in Skoda Brochures / Web Sites is there is no guarantee they are accurate or even take into account new models like Electrics, Mild Hybrids, Plug in or Full Electrics.

So best get in Writing from Skoda UK Customer Services if a 'Plug in Hybrid' must be on 'Fixed Interval Oil Changes' or does the Keeper / Driver have the choice of the car being on Variable or Fixed. 

The Service Inspection & Oil Change thing already confuses many with Petrol & Diesels as it is now. 

What a Sales Person or Service Desk Staff member tells you is only as good as what some person told them, which often can be totally incorrect and then the error continues at that branch until someone actually knows what they are talking about.

• Like 1

I took my lease Superb iV into Skoda Exeter today to have it set to variable servicing instead of fixed.  The tech. came out, took one look and said IVs are fixed 12months/10,000 miles and that was it.  The salesman had previously told me that it could be variable (After I had the car not as part of an upfront contract).  IVs were very new then.  Skoda donlt define this in their literature (that I can find) so I also checked the VW GTE servicing and that looks like fixed 12months/10K miles.  I used to do 30K miles pa.  3 services a year!?!!

• Thanks 1

They will have to clarify what Servicing they will do and what will be charged.

If it is because the 1.4TSI engine does not run much with some cars so like VW Advise normally 'Fixed Suits' then that is a Oil & Filter change.

That was what before 2020 was being Called a Oil & Filter Change,  or sometimes a 'Interim Service'. 

Or are Skoda making out that ICE are OK to be Serviced each 24 months / 18,000-20,000 miles but a Hybrids Engine and the brakes / suspension / steering / tyres etc need 'Inspected' each 10,000 miles.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and-drivers/servicing/service-plans/service-schedules

VW say 9,000 sometimes, 9,300 in the link above

and Skoda usually make it 9,400 miles.   People need to check what Audi or SEAT says. 

Vorsprung Durch Technik.   

Get low Average Emissions but have Customers pay for VW Group saving paying the penalties if they do not.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 14.54.40.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

• 1 month later...