Ran over a truck tyre

I am in Queensland Australia. A week ago I ran over 60 percent of a truck retread tyre at 100km / hr with the right front wheel of my Fabia.

it was at night following another vehicle.

The tyre sidewall was flat on the ground with the tread sticking up.

i m assuming the tread got shattered and bits flew up under the car.

At home I could see no damage to the plastic protection.

i took it to a tyre shop who also do mechanical repairs and they said alignment was ok mechanical components ok and did a balance.

But at motorway speeds over 80km hr every few seconds the steering wheel tugs to the right and steering goes heavy.

i went and saw an independent mechanic today and he suggested maybe damage to a steering sensor.Suggested taking it to Skoda dealer.

Went and saw Skoda dealer. Earliest they can look at it is July 12.

The independent mechanic said safe to drive providing hands on steering wheel which is given.

For work I drive Vw delivery vans which are on high mileage at 200000 plus and have been whacked over kerbs mercilessly and never get alignment it balance or tlc in the front end.In fact these vans are far far worse than my Fabia.

So I am well used to playing mister correct the steering attendant.

i am driving the Fabia 550 km a week mostly motorway work.

Any comments ie agree likely to be a damaged steering sensor. Oh yes it feels like lane keep assist but my Fabia has not got LKA thank goodness just another thing to be damaged by a collision with a retread truck tyre case.

Sad I buy Euro cars cause they are more refined than Asian cars but for a month I have to put up with unrefined steering.

Yes it’s a January 2020 build Fabia base model 5 speed manual 70 kw engine.

As I said I had a mechanical repair tyre place check the mechanicals pronounced okay.

So I suspect the tyre fragments have damaged electronic sensors.

I am trying to get a sense of what sort of cost I could be up for.

i have spoken to my insurer and may lodge a claim but have a $a 750 excess.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, homai said:

A week ago I ran over 60 percent of a truck retread tyre at 100km / hr

It's also possible that you have internal damage to one or both RH tyre carcasses. Being certain whether you do or not requires unmounting the tyres and doing an internal inspection.

@homai

I did read what you said about the tyres centre.  But then i have no idea just how good the person that did the inspection is,

and then checked the alignment and balanced the wheel and took money for that.

Did the Independent Mechanic also look at the car?

The best way of getting an idea of the cost of the sensor being replaced at a Skoda Approved Repairer / Dealership in Australia is to ask them what they will charge to diagnose and to replace the sensor if it is the sensor that is required.

Isn't it an electromechanical power steering system with all of the electrics in the steering column area within the cabin?  

In other words, is there a sensor anywhere in the firing line of run-over debris??

I guess there could be indirect damage to the motor/gears/whatever in that cabin-based stuff, coupled through mechanically from the front wheel impact?

11 hours ago, homai said:

a steering sensor

The Steering angle sensor is just in front of the steering wheel inside the cabin.

If the alignment is adjusted by a large amount then this steering angle sensor might need recalibration using a diagnostic tool.

Thanks, AG Falco

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got it into the Skoda dealer.

Diagnosis

Buckled rims

Damage to steering rack

As its deemed a collision insurance will cover.

Now a wait game to see if parts are in Australia or Europe.

Car is deemed safe to drive in meantime all be it with annoying steering.