Noisy engine on start up from cold.

I saw a post from last June about a Fabia that was noisy when it’s first started up when the engine is cold…

My Fabia (67 plate) had a full service last week, and since then, is doing the same!!

I’ve videoed the problem on 2 separate occasions and given them to the service dept at the local Skoda garage when I took my car there this morning…

2 mechanics made lots of oohs and ahhs and said that I needed to leave my car to be looked at.

I phoned the garage a little while ago as I hadn’t heard anything and was told that they can’t ‘replicate’ the noise and they can’t ‘visually’ find a problem so I should go and collect the car!!! And that was that….
I’ve told them to keep the car and find the problem. I’m really quite disappointed with them.

Does anyone know what the noise is?

As an owner of a 1.2 TSI Fabia I can inform you that there is (at least on the 1.2) a cold start program which is designed to reduce emissions by warming the exhaust system faster.

Usually the car will blip the revs higher and idle at around 1400 rpm for the first 30 seconds accompanied by the odd misfire. In my experience this only seems to occur when atmospheric temp is 15-25°C. 

I assume your fabia is powered by the 1.0 TSI? Which may or may not do the same. I wonder if it has had an ECU update while in for a service?

I assume you've checked that the fluid and oil levels are correct and not overfilled. 

Hi, thanks for your message.. Yes, my car is/has all of checks that you mentioned. It’s literally just had a huge service, including all the regular checks alongside new spark plugs, oil and filter…

The garage is keeping the car overnight, luckily I have been given a courtesy car.

• 2 weeks later...

Was the car serviced at Skoda dealership or a non-franchised garage? If the latter it could be that a cheap 'pattern' oil filter has been fitted which doesn't hold oil up close to the camshaft so you get a metallic rattle for the first few revs. There should be a non-return valve in the filter that stops oil draining back when the engine is switched off.

?

Does it really hold the oil in the filter when screwed onto the engine or just when the filter is unscrewed to remove it?

Does that mean that if you dip the oil in the sump cold or at operating temperature there is 0.5 litres or so still up top in the filter

46 minutes ago, Flopsy said:

Was the car serviced at Skoda dealership or a non-franchised garage? If the latter it could be that a cheap 'pattern' oil filter has been fitted which doesn't hold oil up close to the camshaft so you get a metallic rattle for the first few revs. There should be a non-return valve in the filter that stops oil draining back when the engine is switched off.

Yes it was done at the Skoda dealership where I purchased it… it’s so annoying because they say that it’s fine… but I know what my car used to sound like and now it’s completely different and noisy!!

• 2 weeks later...

Oil is retained in the filter until air is entered when unscrewing it. It is rather like dipping a straw or pipette into liquid and placing finger over the top of the opening. Liquid is held in the straw or pipette until your finger is released and the liquid pours out. There is no one-way valve in the filters

• Haha 1