Apologies in advance! 2008 2.0 PD 140 Scout Questions?

Morning all!

I'm looking at a Scout local to me.  It's a 4X4 2.0 140 PD on 120k miles.

I've always had PD diesels in various older VWs and have recently sold a Mitsubishi ASX due to DPF issues and short trips so am looking to get back into an older non-DPF diesel.  I know I should probably be looking for a petrol (and am open to suggestions around the £3-4k mark!), but I kind of like driving diesels?  I've asked Skoda, and they don't think this particular model has a DPF.

I just wanted to clarify that, and ask whether there was anything in particular to look out for on this variant Octavia and engine when I go take a look?

Thanks in advance of any pointers you can give!!  :)

My Scout is an '07 and according to its option codes (7GG) has a DPF fitted.

Note I have corrected the option code from 0GG to 7GG (thanks @skomaz) - I think I need new glasses!

Edited by MikeTheThinker
correction
  • Like 1

It will definitely have a DPF unless it's been removed.  All 2.0 PD BMM 4x4's, Scouts and Vrs did.

Also the code for a DPF should be 7GG (not 0GG as above) - it'll be on a sticker to the rear of the footwell or in the 3 letter codes in the front of the service book.

Things to look out for at that age - worn propshaft doughnuts giving vibration at around 2300rpm in higher gears, worn wheel bearings, worn engine / gearbox mounts and burst turbo outlet pipes in my experience.  Plus the usual diamond cut alloy issues.

Other than that they are a great solid car (we've only just traded in our 07 2.0 PD 4x4) 

• Like 1

Super - I've asked the guy for a pic of the service book sticker...

Also note the issues above @skomaz. Intrigued about the turbo outlet pipe!?  What caused it to swell and burst?

2 minutes ago, Raker said:

Super - I've asked the guy for a pic of the service book sticker...

Also note the issues above @skomaz. Intrigued about the turbo outlet pipe!?  What caused it to swell and burst?

Great!

the outlet pipe is a rubber bend at the back of the engine against the bulkhead that runs from the turbo to a hardpipe to the intercooler:

image.png.84024200987d4a4444cd9bd74276088f.png

They have a tendency to develop a split on the outside of the bend (the none-visible side - probably due to heat / pressure) causing a loss of boost, a 'wooshing' noise that seems to be coming from the radio area and, eventually a loss of power and limp mode.  Ours went every seven years so I replaced it twice (the last time just before Christmas 2020).  It can be done DIY from the top after removing the air filter box and intake pipes but is a bit of a pain to get to. 

Oh and other things to check for thinking about it...   windscreen and tailgate leaks around the glass.  At that age the sealing may well have deteriorated slightly and need the screens resealing - no need to remove just seal over the top of the original in the gap between the glass and bodywork.  Any white edges aren't an issue as it'll just be the screens starting to delaminate slightly which happens fairly quickly from new and isn't really an issue.

Awesome @skomaz.  Thanks for this.

I just found another 2008 Scout ironically in my online travels!  It's had the DPF and EGR delete plus a remap.  Obviously I understand it's illegal to do so - but I wonder how a purchaser stands if it was picked up on MOT?  I guess they're liable and could be fined as such?

2 hours ago, Raker said:

Awesome @skomaz.  Thanks for this.

I just found another 2008 Scout ironically in my online travels!  It's had the DPF and EGR delete plus a remap.  Obviously I understand it's illegal to do so - but I wonder how a purchaser stands if it was picked up on MOT?  I guess they're liable and could be fined as such?

If it is EU4 it'll still pass an MOT no problem with a DPF delete and map (or should do! provided both have been done properly).  Can you find out who did the work, when and what Stage the map was?  If it was a Stage 1 from Shark in Mansfield before they stopped trading and Ben moved to RacingLine then it should be absolutely fine  ;).

The DPF is up at the back of the engine and covered by the metal sump guard / transfer case so is very difficult to see meaning any cut in the DPF is pretty much invisible.  The only tell-tale would therefore be a dirty tailpipe and possibly some slight smoking but that will still pass an EU4 MOT.

Edited by skomaz

The pd Scout is an excellent car. If the DPF has been removed you will see smoke when you floor it. If you end up buying it use a friendly local MOT garage that are ok with a DPF delete.

In addition to the above issues make sure you have the Haldex serviced, including the hidden filter which is not shown on the Skoda parts diagram.

Mark

If the DPF has been removed it should be an MOT fail now. Soon the test stations will have new equipment that will know if its been done and wont be reliant on a visual check.

If you really want a 4x4 then look for an older 1.9pd 4x4.