Some nitpicking from my Enyaq testdrive

wr0na

I had a chance to get a 1:04h test drive today (thank you, team Vindis Cambridge). We all know this is a fabulous car, I agree. BUT I would like to mention some annoying stuff.
I was driving 60 Loft (as this is as close to my config), First of all, this is the best looking base spec I've ever seen in this segment.
BUT.. at this price, in this segment, we really should get more, like lack of variable boot floor, or not a single USB charging point for the rear bench? come on Skoda.
But now, my points.
1) cup holders. we have 2021. We want to reuse before recycle, and still, both sets of cupholders are too small for regular hard plastic water bottles
2) front dashboard reflection. You see that all the time. Because I didn't have a HUD on board, I had to use a central screen, if you take a peek at the screen you see that 20% of the lower part is covered by this reflection. MAYBE when I got mine and I will look forward only I will withdraw my whine.
3) Central screen size. It's massive, really huge. for an unknown reason close icon for some applications (Spotify in that case) is located on far top-left corner. annoying and distracting.
4) grab handle shape. I hate it.
5) Mirror adjustment. Because of the weird shape of the grab handle, there is minimal space for mirror adjustment (I will not even mention seeing what is on the icons). Yes I have big hands, yes, I paid for memory setting so I will set it once and forgot, but for basic spec - annoying as hell
6) Wireless charging. For all connectivity extra packages, I would expect two charging pads... and what is more important. Ventilated. My phone was hot after 45 minutes in today's weather and AC set to 20deg.
7) Laura. Laura is not working. Don't know why, maybe we should read the manual first 😃 but not a single command was executed (while google assistant works 5/5)
😎 Travel assist and ACC. OH COME ON!
No seriously, do you want to kill me?
I am driving A14, 70mph, ACC and TA set on. We see roadworks 50mph limit, car is slowing down automatically, WHILE we are on that limit, the left line is leaving A14 and on THAT line there is 'end of limit' sign, our car spot that sign and starts to accelerate to 70! 100 yards later we got another 50mph reminder so car starts to break like crazy.
Now think about an opposite scenario, you are driving 70mph, left lane, and there is a new lane to leave the motorway, and they got 30mph limit before a roundabout. Do you see my point?
I hope there is an option to approve speed reduction before its applied by ACC.
9) travel assist again. there must be a gap in UK maps, we were driving 40mph on a single carriage. Suddenly we saw '30mph detected' on the central screen, car start to slow down, only to show '40mph detected' (because there was a speed limit sign).
10) predictive cruise control. great idea, flawed execution.
leaving A14 to A248, there is a 50mph speed limit for a 'sharp turn' (for a dual carriage standard), on the screen, I saw 'sharp turn - 28mph' lucky for me I was able to override this call or we would have one less demo car in the UK.
My family is amazed, I don't regret a penny I put on that car. Just want to point out some of its flaws. Definitely would buy again.

I wanted to focus on imperfections, as every single review repeats the same story.
"This is a very good car." Indeed. HOWEVER for a family orientated crossover you could expect more, thus my post.
So now.. what I liked.
This IS a family car. Isofix got covers that stay in place while connected, putting a large Isofix seat takes 10 seconds.
Tinted windows are so dark that I think I paid unnecessary money for shades. It's great.
Space, room, or maybe The Hall. For this exterior size, inside you have tons of space, I can sit behind myself (I'm 187cm tall) and still have a lot of space for knees (but you have to be aware that you sit higher).
Visibility, because you sit very high (I was unable to lower my seat to a position that I would like to have) you have pretty good visibility, yes, could be better, but I tested a lot of cars and let me say, Enyaq is probably in the top 3 or 5.
Side mirrors, If you are lost in the wilderness and have to build a canoe to find your way back, you can use side mirrors as paddles.
They.are.huge.
I don't want to use the word 'serenity' but this is something that hits me (and my family). The car is so quiet, that sound of indicators or side windows motors are annoyingly loud 😃
But if you are just cruising it's so quiet and calm that my 7yo fell asleep at 1PM. just like that.
This is not a slow car. yes, you can order faster ones (Polestar, tesla) but Skoda got typical for EV instant torque/start, and to be honest, it's everything you need in a family haulier.
Quality, I saw a loft, the cheapest, base version and I would live with that without any question. It's nice, bright, no piano black, lovely brushed metal-like finish.
After the Polestar event, I regretted that I didn't order P2. After today's drive, I am absolutely sure I will be happy with my Enyaq. I just hope we will get a software update ASAP.
  • Like 1

yes, absolutely. I would select this car again, over any available car in this budget.

that's why I called it nitpicking :)

With the small exception for travel assist, I can live with all these imperfections (especially because I hope my additional equipment packages will sort the issues).

I just created this review, because every time I see how PERFECT this car is. And it's hard to disagree, but still, there is a field for improvements.
I cannot wait to see my race blue on the driveway, wall box is ready!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I have orderd a 60 and I am changing from a 2019 Sorento GT-Line. I no longer need 7 seats. We had already purchased a MINI electric and I am convinced on electric. I wanted to stay in the reasonable price range and wanted an SUV.  Tried the Audi Q4 and I prefered the Enyaq, apart from the door handle thing. The Audi also had the same awful layout for window controlls and heated mirror as Skoda but nearly went for it due to the cheapest most plastic door thing ever seen.  Both have a very flat long dash. Skoda won due to government discount, Skoda contribution to PCP and the dealer discount I got.  I was not please that because I wanted bigger alloys I had to accept the chrome trim.

Hi, there. 
I am from Norway so please be gentle with my english. 

1) There is an option to pull out “the wall” between the two holes. Then you can place the wall 1 cm to the left and get one big hole and one small hole. 

2) The only reflection I discovered was from the HUD cover. A little wall standing and covers the big hole where the HUD lights are coming from. The glossy piano black reflects on to the windscreen and the sun reflects straight to the eyes. 

3) This is better for everyone who drives on the right side, though. Such as I do. 

8, 9, 10) I get your points. Luckily you can switch off that speed reading function and still keep the other things with the predictive cruise control. I will turn it off my self. I had the same experience as you had. 

I think I might order a 80x Sportline without HUD. 
In Norway we do have different specs than you have. 

Dashboard Reflection. Yes this occurs on my Loft trim Enyaq as well. Dealer says this occurs on lots of cars and I pointed out it did not happen on my previous three cars. I think it is someting to do with the angle of the windowscreen and the colour of the Dash top. To prove the point I covered the Dash with black cloth and the reflection does not happen. I do have a HUD so that will not work as a long term solution. Incidently the HUD does not work if  you wear Polaroid glasses when driving. As you say good car but lots of annoying niggles.

Niggles you missed.

1. You can only use half the glove box. Put anything in the left side and the box will not close properly. Due to poor design conversion to right hand drive.

2. The USB ports are at the bottom of the phone charging hole. As soon as you put your hand in to plug in, you obscure the port and can't see it.

3. The charging cable, supplied with the car, is stored under the boot floor. If you pack the boot you can't get it out without unloading. I purchased a bag from Amazon and hag it on one of the hooks problem solved.

4. There is currently no way to put personalised POI information into the Sat Nav.

5. Skoda offer a Power Pass which can be ordered online but when I tried this it would not accept a UK Post Code and as a result the bank would not authorise the transaction. Skoda CIC and Bank  fixed this but what a hassle and although the card was sent a fortnight ago it still has not arrived.

6. The Ice scraper is now in the Boot lid. My wife can't reach it.

7. The adaptive cruise control lever is hidden by the steering iin some cases. (Depends on seat hiight and person hight mainly). I agree that you have to be vigilant for some of the Cruise Control foibles when running. Some of them can be turned off if they annoy you.

8. The manual says that for certain things you have to read the digitlal manual. Which has to be downloaded from the Skoda Enyaq web site.

9. My infotainment system has thrown up a few oddities which I am hoping will be fixed by the next update. It appears that other people claim to have not had these. Things like my Binnacle display showing a straight arrow for the next turn but the Nav display showing bear right arrow.

20 hours ago, EspenSolgaard said:

1) There is an option to pull out “the wall” between the two holes. Then you can place the wall 1 cm to the left and get one big hole and one small hole. 

2) The only reflection I discovered was from the HUD cover. A little wall standing and covers the big hole where the HUD lights are coming from. The glossy piano black reflects on to the windscreen and the sun reflects straight to the eyes. 

3) This is better for everyone who drives on the right side, though. Such as I do. 

8, 9, 10) I get your points. Luckily you can switch off that speed reading function and still keep the other things with the predictive cruise control. I will turn it off my self. I had the same experience as you had. 

I think I might order a 80x Sportline without HUD. 
In Norway we do have different specs than you have. 

1) it's not like that. the issue is diameter not width.

2) after traveling at night I also spot that central part ambient lightning is constantly visible in the side mirror. sadly reflections and HUD are hard to get on photos :)

3) yes, I guess it's exactly because of that, however, I just think that apps menu should recognise if car is RHD or LHD

2 hours ago, Odin1123 said:

Niggles you missed.

1. You can only use half the glove box. Put anything in the left side and the box will not close properly. Due to poor design conversion to right hand drive.

2. The USB ports are at the bottom of the phone charging hole. As soon as you put your hand in to plug in, you obscure the port and can't see it.

3. The charging cable, supplied with the car, is stored under the boot floor. If you pack the boot you can't get it out without unloading. I purchased a bag from Amazon and hag it on one of the hooks problem solved.

4. There is currently no way to put personalised POI information into the Sat Nav.

5. Skoda offer a Power Pass which can be ordered online but when I tried this it would not accept a UK Post Code and as a result the bank would not authorise the transaction. Skoda CIC and Bank  fixed this but what a hassle and although the card was sent a fortnight ago it still has not arrived.

6. The Ice scraper is now in the Boot lid. My wife can't reach it.

7. The adaptive cruise control lever is hidden by the steering iin some cases. (Depends on seat hiight and person hight mainly). I agree that you have to be vigilant for some of the Cruise Control foibles when running. Some of them can be turned off if they annoy you.

8. The manual says that for certain things you have to read the digitlal manual. Which has to be downloaded from the Skoda Enyaq web site.

9. My infotainment system has thrown up a few oddities which I am hoping will be fixed by the next update. It appears that other people claim to have not had these. Things like my Binnacle display showing a straight arrow for the next turn but the Nav display showing bear right arrow.

thats was my nitpicking just after the test drive :D

now after the week my list is much longer, but I will publish everything when I am finally back from my trip. About your points.

1) yes, sadly it's very common. Do I have to mention that bonnet release is on the passenger side as well? :D :D I was looking for that for 2 minutes.

2) I just bought 50cm cable which is plugged all the time. I did it once and job done. However I discovered that if you use Android Auto and wireless charger your phone can get EXTREMELY hot.. and guess what, there is no vent there. 

3) you can get similar bag from Skoda ;) for a reason I have a tethered wall box, just to avoid getting this cable all the time.

5) really?! that is very weird I was able to get my card within 3-4 days, without any issue (please check info I got below)

6) got it, sadly fuel flap was no longer a good place for that. but entire tailgate is a joke :/

7) confirm. I am also not happy. the distance controller is hidden behind steering wheel, while the rollbar on the wheel is USELESS

8) manual... oh.. the manual. full of typos, wrong translations, misleading.. this manual?  both paper and digital.

9) keeping fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Odin1123 said:

If anyone would need to get UK pass card

205732574_10226551535678407_4666878877460000082_n.jpg