Is it possible to retrofit steering wheel controls?

HI all,

Sorry if this has been posted before, I have done multiple searches but couldnt find a matching thread.

I have recently bought a really nice 2016 Mk3 Octavia SE. 

It was a great price and well looked after example so even though its missing some features I normally wouldnt do without I deceided it was the car for my family.

I plan to upgrade the Belero stereo with Andriod via a new headunit or module that interfaces with the OEM system but im really not sure about if it is possible to retrofit some streering wheel controls.

I have seen it done on VWs and beleive the windscreen control stalk unit needs to be downgraded so that it doesnt interfer with the new controls.

Does any one have any experience or know if a retro fit is possible?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Welcome: Sounds like you need a nice MIB2 system (which your car should have anyway) - but it maybe as simple as a FeC (Feature Code) to get MirrorLink and Android Auto to play nicely (about 150 ukp from your dealer).  If you want the facelifted buttonless system, then you need to chat with @pab567 who can probably sort you out a new Bolaro system from a facelifted car.  For steering wheel controls, please chat with @SashaGrace who can assist with tell you what bits to get and how to code it up.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Damn I didnt realise I might be able to add the feature code to the current system! I assumed as it had the smaller screen that wouldnt be an option as the rest of the system would be a lower grade affair.  I might speak to a dealer to see if its an option as you say and if so see if I can cancel my Aliexpress speacial. 

Thanks for getting in contact @pab567 I wont have the car till Wednesday as its having a Cam belt done by the seller.  As soon as I get it Ill get this info to you.

@SashaGrace If you are able to point me in the right direction about steering wheel controls that would  be amazing!

Thank you all again for your help.

Adam

@varaderoguy now that you have enlightneded me that I might have a MIB2 unit, does that mean I could retrofit a biger OEM screen unit to my car for fairly cheap?  I think the newer buttonless system will be out of my budget.   

Again thank you so much for the information.

16 hours ago, QuantumAmad said:

@varaderoguy now that you have enlightneded me that I might have a MIB2 unit, does that mean I could retrofit a biger OEM screen unit to my car for fairly cheap?  I think the newer buttonless system will be out of my budget.   

Again thank you so much for the information.

You can go for a Bolaro MIB 2.5 unit with an 8.5" buttonless system for very reasonable money. Again, speak with @pab567
who can assist with prices and units.

• Like 1

Thanks @SashaGrace and @varaderoguy!

I will look in to seeing if I can sorce those parts and find someone who can do the coding side.

I will let @pab567 know about what system I have currently when I get the car.  Would be very intrested in the rough cost of getting the MIB2.5 Unit and 8.5" buttonless system! Not sure I have the permission to PM on here yet but once I do we can discuss costs.

Thanks again,

Adam

Again thanks guys for all your help.

I have the car now and love it!

I called my local Skoda dealer to find out how much it would cost to enable SmartLink on my current system and they advised me that it would cost £270 and they would need the car all day.

This seems way higher to what others have said it should be (around £150 - £190) so Ive messaged Pab to find out the costs of upgrading the system.

Got to say im really loving the Skoda!  It really reminds me of my old MK7 Golf GTI but is more comfy, bigger and to be honest not that much slower (1.4 TSI 150 unit is lovely!).

I do miss the steering wheel controls and going from LED headlights to halogens is a bit of a shock!  Although to be fair I cant complain as I got the car as a money saving exercise moving from a lease car and it overdelivers for what it costs.