Back in the fold - Kamiq Monte Carlo 1.5 ordered.

Nick P

After a few years away (had a Yeti L&K until 2018 and various other Skodas continually for 13 years before that), we've been tempted back by a Kamiq.

We've gone for a Meteor Grey Monte Carlo 1.5 TSI manual.

I've added:

Heated seats and washer jets.

USB-C ports in the rear.
Spare wheel.

I kept the standard quaint old fashioned air-con controls, despite having had dual zone climate control on every car I've had in the last 16 years. I just can't abide what they've done with the climate control, in how they've split it between the physical knobs for temp and touch screen for fan speed.

We were having trouble deciding between Corrida Red and Meteor Grey, but it turns out Corrida Red is no longer available to order as of this week. I do keep getting tempted by velvet red though.

Bought it from Rainworth in Sheffield. £22,100 including the options and £2250 finance contribution. Intend to withdraw from the PCP and pay it off immediately. Looking to keep it probably 3-5 years.

Hope you enjoy it.

I do find it strange how Rainworth Sheffield manage to sell cars though...   

I contacted them earlier this year about Kodiaqs and spoke to sales about what i was looking for but they never got back to me.

They were the same years ago when I was looking for an Octavia, even though I knew they had exactly what I was looking for as one of the staff cars.  I bought elsewhere on both occasions but, with the Octavia, when I took the one I'd bought elsewhere in a couple of weeks after picking it up for something to be checked under warranty they had the staff car up for sale.

And many years prior to that I was trying to buy a new Fabia and the sales guy refused to give me a total cash price to change until I'd signed an order!  Needless to say I walked away and bought elsewhere

Service and parts seem to be OK but the sales team are rubbish in my opinion.

Interesting. I've always found the sales, service and parts departments excellent there. I used them for service and parts since 2009. I bought an Octavia VRS from them in 2010 when they gave me an absolutely killer deal. They offered me more for my 2008 VRS than I'd paid for it a year earlier, in part-ex against the 2010 VRS on the 20% off and 0% finance deal. I also bought a new Yeti off them and a Scout for my Dad.

They've always been good at dealing with problems too. I ended up rejecting the 2010 VRS as I wasn't happy with it, and kept my trade-in. They were great about it. They were also good at dealing with problems after an injector recall.

Edited by Nick P

16 hours ago, Nick P said:

Interesting. I've always found the sales, service and parts departments excellent there. I used them for service and parts since 2009. I bought an Octavia VRS from them in 2010 when they gave me an absolutely killer deal. They offered me more for my 2008 VRS than I'd paid for it a year earlier, in part-ex against the 2010 VRS on the 20% off and 0% finance deal. I also bought a new Yeti off them and a Scout for my Dad.

They've always been good at dealing with problems too. I ended up rejecting the 2010 VRS as I wasn't happy with it, and kept my trade-in. They were great about it. They were also good at dealing with problems after an injector recall.

Same here, I have bought 4 new cars from them over the last 12 years and found them to be fine! In fact the best car dealer I have dealt with.

Maybe I am just lucky.

49 minutes ago, Gomezz said:

Same here, I have bought 4 new cars from them over the last 12 years and found them to be fine! In fact the best car dealer I have dealt with.

Maybe I am just lucky.

Must be - they're probably the worst I've dealt with in 30 years of buying cars!

Maybe they only respond when they know they have suitable stock available...   I've phoned, dropped in and spoken directly to sales but no follow ups from them...   although I have always been pretty specific about what I've been looking for.

Hey ho never mind.

20 hours ago, Nick P said:

After a few years away (had a Yeti L&K until 2018 and various other Skodas continually for 13 years before that), we've been tempted back by a Kamiq.

We've gone for a Meteor Grey Monte Carlo 1.5 TSI manual.

I've added:

Heated seats and washer jets.

USB-C ports in the rear.
Spare wheel.

I kept the standard quaint old fashioned air-con controls, despite having had dual zone climate control on every car I've had in the last 16 years. I just can't abide what they've done with the climate control, in how they've split it between the physical knobs for temp and touch screen for fan speed.

We were having trouble deciding between Corrida Red and Meteor Grey, but it turns out Corrida Red is no longer available to order as of this week. I do keep getting tempted by velvet red though.

Bought it from Rainworth in Sheffield. £22,100 including the options and £2250 finance contribution. Intend to withdraw from the PCP and pay it off immediately. Looking to keep it probably 3-5 years.

They have changed the fan speed to low medium and high instead of a slider so now same as changing radio station

• Like 1

We have leased a 1.0 110 manual monte carlo in white.

Have had it two weeks and is very nice. Came with a spare wheel which is something every car should have IMHO. 

After having climate control on my MKII octavia for the past 15 years, still getting use to the manual air con again, definitely not as nice but it's something I will be able to live with. 

I know this might sound odd but having the rear view mirror without the auto dimming feature is bloody stingy on a car like this. 

That said though, overall, enjoying it so far. The engine is so much better than I thought it would be and the ride and handling is decent on the 18 inch wheels. 

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't realise they didn't have auto dimming rear view mirror. I just take that for granted these days. That's quite annoying actually. I didn't notice it on the options list.

One of my Volvos is 17 years old, built on a platform from 1992 and that has it.

Edited by Nick P

This thread mentions SE-L having auto-dimming and swapping it for a nicer auto-dimming mirror. You sure it hasn't got it?

It's not mentioned in the specs for either SE-L or Monte Carlo, but I wonder if it's another penny pinching thing where you get it on SE-L but they've removed it off Monte Carlo.

What Car claim you get auto-dimming on an SE.

Edited by Nick P

8 hours ago, Nick P said:

Wow, I didn't realise they didn't have auto dimming rear view mirror. I just take that for granted these days. That's quite annoying actually. I didn't notice it on the options list.

One of my Volvos is 17 years old, built on a platform from 1992 and that has it.

Well, it certainly doesn't seem auto dimming and you have the pull bit at the bottom of the mirror like in the old days. 

• Like 1

I think I'm going to cancel the order. It looks horrible with that poverty spec mirror. That's a penny pinching exercise too far.

Thanks for pointing it out @motr1912.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick P said:

I think I'm going to cancel the order. It looks horrible with that poverty spec mirror. That's a penny pinching exercise too far.

Thanks for pointing it out @motr1912.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the car but I am leasing and not buying it. 

If I was to buy one, I don't think they are worth the money they are asking. 

The pan roof is nice but I'd scrap that and have dual zone cc, acc, auto dimming mirror and folding door mirrors as standard any day of the week over it. 

59 minutes ago, Nick P said:

Does it not have electrically folding mirrors either?

The Kamiq monte carlo looks great, but the actual content isn't great really. 

Got such a great lease deal for 3 years including maintenance and servicing package that swayed me from the 80 quid a month more for the sel with more kit. 

And when you look at some of the mainland European specs, they certainly seem get more kit than we do. 

Can anyone confirm? 

On 24/06/2021 at 20:42, motr1912 said:

We have leased a 1.0 110 manual monte carlo in white.

Have had it two weeks and is very nice. Came with a spare wheel which is something every car should have IMHO. 

After having climate control on my MKII octavia for the past 15 years, still getting use to the manual air con again, definitely not as nice but it's something I will be able to live with. 

I know this might sound odd but having the rear view mirror without the auto dimming feature is bloody stingy on a car like this. 

That said though, overall, enjoying it so far. The engine is so much better than I thought it would be and the ride and handling is decent on the 18 inch wheels. 

So glad I came accross this thread! @motr1912 what year was your Monte Carlo built?

We have a 1.0 SE 95 on order and it's due to arrive either today or tomorrow. I ordered on 1st February 2021 and at that time auto-dimming mirror was part of SE trim.

I live in quite a rural area with unlit roads, an auto dimming mirror is important to us, hopefully ours arrives with an auto dimming mirror.

Edit

Ah I was mistaken, the auto-dimming mirror was removed from SE, SE-L & Monte Carlo trim after Dec 2020, I wonder if it was removed because of issues?

Shame was really hoping mine would have one fitted

Just now, AJ89 said:

Edit

Ah I was mistaken, the auto-dimming mirror was removed from SE, SE-L & Monte Carlo trim after Dec 2020, I wonder if it was removed because of issues?

Shame was really hoping mine would have one fitted

Yeah - the issue being not enough profit I'd imagine. SEL still seems to have it.

I have cancelled our order.

1 minute ago, Nick P said:

Yeah - the issue being not enough profit I'd imagine. SEL still seems to have it.

I have cancelled our order.

If you look at the latest Brochure on the Skoda website it's been removed from SE-L too.

Possible it is down to profit but I suspect it's more likely to a lack of Semi-conductors  due to supply issues during Covid. Many manufacturers have removed spec, my friend wants the new Golf 8 but the virtual dash is no longer standard on the R Line model. You can't even spec an auto-dimming mirror, either there is a supply issue or an issue with the mirror itself.

I have noticed that the SE now gets lights in the vanity mirrors originally there were no lights, both front seats now get lumbar supports. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AJ89 said:

So glad I came accross this thread! @motr1912 what year was your Monte Carlo built?

We have a 1.0 SE 95 on order and it's due to arrive either today or tomorrow. I ordered on 1st February 2021 and at that time auto-dimming mirror was part of SE trim.

I live in quite a rural area with unlit roads, an auto dimming mirror is important to us, hopefully ours arrives with an auto dimming mirror.

Checked the paperwork, ours was built late October 2020