Superb IV fuel range (ICE/Combustion engine)

Can anyone enlighten me as to the actual fuel range(combustion engine only) of the 2021 Superb IV estate. I have read that the range is approx 500 miles, but when I fill my tank to the brim the stated range is only about 400 miles. Does anyone have any information on this? Am I mistaken in thinking that the range should be more that 400? Many thnaks

15 minutes ago, RoryErg said:

Am I mistaken in thinking that the range should be more that 400?

There are a number of possible factors here. 

What engine is this?

Your driving style.

Where you drive.

If you fill to the click, and Skoda's computed range is based on the design tank volume your fuel load could be as much as 2 gallons less than they've used.

You're comparing a real world figure with a range computed using formal test data.

Thank you for the reply. The engine is a 1.4l turbo charged auto. Yes, I did fill to the automatic click/cut off at the pump. I assumed that upon filling the 50 litre tank to the top that the on board computer would the display potential range given optimum driving conditions. My previous vehicle did this and then constantly adjusted according to driving style and conditions. My previous car had a 3 litre six cylinder engine (diesel) which returned 600+  I'm somewhat surprised to find a 4 cylinder 1.4 returning less. Is it normal in Skodas VAG cars not to display potential range in a full tank?

20 minutes ago, RoryErg said:

the on board computer would the display potential range given optimum driving conditions

Well, a Skoda is "simply more clever" than that, and bases its calculations on how it's been driven over the last tankful.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RoryErg said:

Is it normal in Skodas VAG cars not to display potential range in a full tank?

My my18 1.4tsi manual Superb updates the range left as soon as I refill the tank, even before moving away from the pump. The estimated range is very much based on fuel tank capacity and the average consumption since last refill.

Here is my recent consumption, all long motorway trips sat at legal limit with occasional road works and snarl ups. Showing a total range of over 900 miles, but then I have a 75 litre tank fitted for some inexplicable reason. Its an option in some countries, but not in the UK, they must have run out of the standard 66 litre tanks when they built mine!

IMG_20210621_172740-1.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the considered replies. They are very informative. I'll fill up again in a couple of days, adjust my driving style and monitor the results. These modern computer driven cars are a marvel. 

• Confused 1

@RoryErg

Welcome to the forum.

?

What length of journeys are you doing, and are you setting off with a Full Battery and using the car on electric if short journeys and manipulating the use of the battery to improve the amount of petrol you need to use?

?

What is the average fuel consumption showing as?

Hi Rory,

I have had an IV for 12 months so can give you the detail.  

The IV reports the ICE range and the Electric range separately. 

When you fill up it always seems to revert to 400miles range on the ICE, regardless of past performance.  (I think my previous Superb diesel did report the range based on the average consumption of the last tank).  If you drive more economically then you see the range increasing - or simply not going down and if you push-on the opposite happens.

I drive frugally and see about 500 miles from a tank.  It has hard to say as you will have recharged the battery a few times in between so the total distance between fill-ups may well be much longer.

I have only been on short trips recently and I always recharge so mostly using electric.  The car was reporting 200 mpg as I was just not using fuel.  I think this is what causes the fuel only range to reset to the arbitary 400 miles and then update rather than trying to use a possibly v. unrealistic average from the last tank.

The fuel tank is smaller on the iV but still a useful 55litres.  I previously had a Mitsu Outlander PHEV and that had a 30-something litre tank which gave serious range anxiety.  

Today I learnt that the service intervals on the IV are fixed 10,000 miles/1 year.  No longlife option which is a bit scary as a previous 30K Miles pa driver.  Working from home I have only done 6k miles in the first year and now it is screaming service.  I am going to check on this in case the dealer had it wrong.  Will correct this if I find out differently.

• Like 1

@JohnBob  Is that Skoda UK / Dealership Staff saying 'Fixed Oil & Filter Services' at 10,000 miles or 9,000 as VW are showing?

Not actual Services but Oil & Filter Services which are not much getting done.

?

Is there really no option for those that actually have the 1.4 TSI engine firing up and running more than just a few miles per day, or week?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/494638-octavia-iv-phev-servicing

12 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

@JohnBob  Is that Skoda UK / Dealership Staff saying 'Fixed Oil & Filter Services' at 10,000 miles or 9,000 as VW are showing?

Not actual Services but Oil & Filter Services which are not much getting done.

?

Is there really no option for those that actually have the 1.4 TSI engine firing up and running more than just a few miles per day, or week?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/494638-octavia-iv-phev-servicing

They are telling me the IV is fixed.  Oil& filter at 12months/X Miles.  I think X is actually 15000km which works out at 9320 Miles.  (VW do quote 9300) but people colloquially say 10K miles.  Even when not running on electric, the IV does cut in and out much more than a regular ICE only car so I presume this is the reason for the restriction on variable service.

• Like 1

VW are showing it as an Oil Service each 9,000 miles. 

So no need for VW or Skoda Main Dealers to be ripping customers for more than an Oil & Filter Change each 9,400 / 10,000 miles or whatever this years mileage they chose. 

For a while there were £99 Oil & Filter Changes, then Interim Services / Minor Services & then Major ones.

Now Skoda have Oil & Inspection Services and each 3 years / 30,000 miles Extended Scope.    All money for old rope.

They will need to come up with a 'Good Value' Fixed Oil & Filter Service for those with a Plug in Hybrid.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 at 14.54.40.png

Also, the 1.4 in the iV/GTE is not the same as the standard 1.4tsi. It has all sorts of different coatings on surfaces to reduce friction and I think maybe some different (lighter?) components. It all adds up to a package that is quite different and I think they did finger in the air service predictions for it.

Mid May we went on holiday for the week in the October 2020 iV hatch. Before setting off I filled to the first click and fully charged the battery, car showed 530 mile petrol range plus 33 miles of battery. Its 430 miles to the lodge and we averaged 62 mph for the trip. Once there we did local trips but had no opportunity to charge the battery at all. I refuelled after we had done 571 and the car was still showing 90 miles of range remaining, a potential range of 661 miles and if we had had the chance to charge it would have been greater. I calculated the mpg for the week (including the cost of the charge before we went) as about 57 mpg (dash showed 57 as well) which I was more than happy with.

Last Wednesday we did a 254 mile round trip to the coast. did not fill to the brim, no need, gauge showed midway between 1/2 and 3/4. Gave the car a full charge overnight. Range shown was 345 miles petrol plus 34 miles electric, total 379 miles. Traffic was pretty grim at times, only managed 47 mph for the day. Back home still had 150 miles of range left.

From my spreadsheet it seems that the displayed mpg on the dash is pretty accurate (as it was for the May holiday) so it looks like the car actually did about 67 mpg for the trip, really happy with that.

It appears that as with the 1.4 TSi Superb we had before the iV the mpg improves quite significantly with miles so its no surprise it did more last week than in May. But I am surprised at the size of the improvement. Next planned long drive is not until September, will be interesting what it does then.

But at this time with a full tank and a full charge driving at the national speed limit I am pretty certain that a 700 mile range is perfectly achievable. If you can charge on route its going to be even further.

• Like 1