Not happy

So today I picked up my 68 plate 245 vrs. . 

79 miles to drive home from the dealers, around 50 miles in . . . Orange engine light appears. Called the dealer up right away, they advised to pull over and get skoda assist out.

Anyway the AA guy who came (very quickly). . Scanned the car and its showing -

P-200600- intake-manifold/in-cylinder flow flap B1. Error message -flap sticks shut. Static fault.

Hes left the code active so I can get it into skoda with it on (didn't want to clear it and it not return then skoda say there's nothing wrong)

By the time all this was done the dealer I bought from was shut, but its a skoda used approved car, so my question is will a more local dealer take it in under warranty? If not am I within my rights to ask them to come and collect the car on a trailer etc?

I'll be on the phone to them first thing in the morning, the sales guy I have dealt with isn't in all weekend, but I expect to get something sorted by them pretty sharpish.

My day has gone from joy of getting a new car to just feeling deflated now.

That sucks ass!! I’d not be happy either. I’m pretty sure you could reject the car if they don’t provide a satisfactory explanation and resolution of the fault! 

I once had an engine light appear on a car on the way home from the garage after collection, it was a Polo GT 130 PD.

It was fixed the following week by a local garage and the supplying garage paid the bill. It then performed faultlessly for the next 70,000 miles that I put on it.

let the garage sort it and enjoy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deerfoot said:

I once had an engine light appear on a car on the way home from the garage after collection, it was a Polo GT 130 PD.

It was fixed the following week by a local garage and the supplying garage paid the bill. It then performed faultlessly for the next 70,000 miles that I put on it.

let the garage sort it and enjoy. 

I had a similar problem a few years ago with my previous MK2 FL Octavia VRS TSI. Bought it 160 miles away and drove it home. 2 weeks later the engine warning light came on, intake manifold flaps fault. Thanks goodness I had the warranty from the garage I bought it from. Had a new manifold fitted locally under warranty. A bill of around £600, thank goodness I did not have to pay it. The garage that fitted the new intake manifold said somebody had taken the old one off recently and botched it so that it lasted a bit longer. Maybe the previous owner did the deed and then sold it on. Anyway, the manifold was replaced at no charge for me at 30k miles and gave me no other problems till I part exchanged the car on 104k miles for my present VRS. 

The supplying dealer is legally obliged to repair your car foc as you have just purchased it, irrespective of the Skoda warranty. If you take it to another dealer for them to assess under the Skoda warranty, then you could technically be charged if they deem the fault isn't covered by the warranty. Probably best to liase with the supplying dealer.

Thanks for the replys, was on the phone to the supplying dealer first thing this morning.

With them being 80ish miles away they told me to call my local skoda (Rainworth sheffield) and get it booked in with them. .(although I had to do it not them 🙄)

They can't look at it till Tuesday but I've dropped it off with them today because I'll be at work Tuesday.

Rainworth said they will scan and see if the fault code is new or a stored one that has reappeared, if its new it will be skoda warrant that covers it, if its not they will contact simpsons skoda and they will have to pay for it.

They haven't supplied me with any type of courtesy car thought(earliest Rainworth had a loan car available was the 19th, which I said I'm not waiting for), but the sales guy I dealt with at simpsons is giving me a ring monday. . .so I shall see what he has to say on the matter. . I'm hoping they can offer something for the inconvenience even if its not a courtesy car.

I had 5 day drive away insurance which is now useless and by the time I get the car back my own policy will have begun.

You’ve done well to get it looked at so soon, garages near me in Wiltshire have around a two week wait for bookings at the moment.

Hope everything goes well..

8 hours ago, vrs'burks said:

Got the car back.

Turned out to be a vac pipe had somehow come off on the intake, causing the problem. .

Hopefully that's the end of it.

That sounds an easy repair. Did he not lift the bonnet and look at the engine, take the engine cover off? Or did he simply scan it, read the fault code and say “ It needs to go to the dealers? “  

My 1.4TSIDSG  went back for an Airbag wiring check after the warning light came on. Skoda Assist resolved the issue, but I asked the dealer to give it a complete health check as its an approved Skoda vehicle. My only issue was I had to wait 3 weeks to be able to get a loan car from them. Needed a car for work, so had to wait my turn.

Edited by FrankNicklin

16 hours ago, Redboy said:

That sounds an easy repair. Did he not lift the bonnet and look at the engine, take the engine cover off? Or did he simply scan it, read the fault code and say “ It needs to go to the dealers? “  

Pretty much, with me literally driving it home from the dealers and getting the fault I was more in favour of it going back into skoda to be looked at rather than the AA messing about with it in a gravel carpark on the woodhead pass.

On 07/07/2021 at 23:00, vrs'burks said:

Pretty much, with me literally driving it home from the dealers and getting the fault I was more in favour of it going back into skoda to be looked at rather than the AA messing about with it in a gravel carpark on the woodhead pass.

It does pay to check. I drove back to the dealers twice after services on with my MkII. First for a hunting tickover - dipstick not pushed fully home. I was so annoyed that I had simply turned the car around and driven straight back to the garage. Then another time, wipers not secured onto splines after cam belt replacement. I’d not known as I driven home from the garage in in the dry and the next morning the screen was wet. In fairness I first checked the fuse and the wipers still weren’t moving, couldn’t hear the motor, so assumed the worst. Simple checks can help…if you know what you’re looking for. Glad it was a cheap fix. They are generally reliable cars.