Advice please, anyone had their car under sealed by a professional?

Martini06

Has anyone had their car under sealed by a professional? Is it worth it? Car in question is a 2008 octavia, on the road all year round, I have been jet washing it under chassis since I got it but I'm sure it'd do with some more proper tlc.   

Any advice of what I could do to help prevent it from rotting 🥴

Thanks 

The underbody protection on the Skoda's is very good. The only bits you really should consider undersealing would be the bits that all of the suspension is mounted to, i.e. the subframe and rear axle along with said suspension components, possibly the bumper backing plates and any metal pipe work under the car.

As for what to use, that's pretty much down to personal preference. I quite like the ease of use and last of Dinitrol. Have also used Waxoyl plenty of times but it can get messy.

Hope this helps.

Edited by HeavyMetalRich
Added info
  • Thanks 1

As above, the factory coating on a MK2 octavia is very good - I'd say you're more at risk of making a moisture trap if you seal over the existing protection.

I'd personally get it in the air, drop the trays off, and do localised repairs to any damages bits of the rust proofing with something along the lines of POR-15, or whatever the fashionable one is at the minute, basically thick enamel paint.

If you don't mind an off-brand, the metal paint in Lidl is very good. 

Edited by StevesTruck
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, StevesTruck said:

As above, the factory coating on a MK2 octavia is very good - I'd say you're more at risk of making a moisture trap if you seal over the existing protection.

I'd personally get it in the air, drop the trays off, and do localised repairs to any damages bits of the rust proofing with something along the lines of POR-15, or whatever the fashionable one is at the minute, basically thick enamel paint.

That's a good point about the moisture getting trapped in I forgot about. If you do go for it, whether yourself or a professional, you'd be worth raising the car up, removing trays and doing repairs to rust spots as suggested by @StevesTruck and then leaving the car to air dry for a few days if you can. Even better would be to get a heater underneath. Then apply whatever underseal you choose.

Obviously this is all ideal conditions. If you don't have time or you can't be without the car for that long then its not ideal.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

That's a good point about the moisture getting trapped in I forgot about. If you do go for it, whether yourself or a professional, you'd be worth raising the car up, removing trays and doing repairs to rust spots as suggested by @StevesTruck and then leaving the car to air dry for a few days if you can. Even better would be to get a heater underneath. Then apply whatever underseal you choose.

Obviously this is all ideal conditions. If you don't have time or you can't be without the car for that long then its not ideal.

The professional I contacted said they'd require the car for 5 days so I'd imagine they'll do it properly, I don't really have anywhere to take it to raise it and I don't think I as a beginner could do it anyway 😑

So it's just the matter of cost and whether my car really needs it, but I suppose it will be useful before another winter in Scotland. I had a passat before and never bothered as there was no need but I've been fussing about my skoda ever since I got it, even though it's in much better condition than previous car 😐

On 07/07/2021 at 07:49, StevesTruck said:

How would you raise it in DIY conditions? Any tips for beginners haha 

1 hour ago, Martini06 said:

Either a set of tall axle stands and trolley jack or good old fashioned ramps. It's not ideal obviously, you'll spend a lot of time on your back, but if it reduces costs it might be worth considering.

You can now also get ramps that have a jack up section in them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Martini06 said:

That's the question, and I suppose really it depends what amount of space you're happy to work in. A decent pair of ramps is probably your best bet if you're doing the job on the driveway.

On 08/07/2021 at 15:11, StevesTruck said:

That's the question, and I suppose really it depends what amount of space you're happy to work in. A decent pair of ramps is probably your best bet if you're doing the job on the driveway.

I'd need a driveway as well 😅 but supposing I could rent one, or find a quiet spot off road 😂

On 08/07/2021 at 13:26, HeavyMetalRich said:

Either a set of tall axle stands and trolley jack or good old fashioned ramps. It's not ideal obviously, you'll spend a lot of time on your back, but if it reduces costs it might be worth considering.

You can now also get ramps that have a jack up section in them.

Something from halfords? Ideally I'd like something that won't take up too much space when not used 

2 hours ago, Martini06 said:

Something from halfords? Ideally I'd like something that won't take up too much space when not used 

In that case, axle stands and a compact trolley jack would be your best bet. Ramps, while they are less of a faff to work with, do still take up a little room.

These are the ones with the jack up section:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284077417887?hash=item422455659f:g:4HgAAOSwbs9frPuo

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2021 at 22:03, HeavyMetalRich said:

In that case, axle stands and a compact trolley jack would be your best bet. Ramps, while they are less of a faff to work with, do still take up a little room.

These are the ones with the jack up section:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284077417887?hash=item422455659f:g:4HgAAOSwbs9frPuo

That's fab thank you lots! 

• Like 1

If you're going to do it yourself, this hot dry spell is a perfect opportunity to avoid sealing in any existing water. I don't think cars bodywork can get much dryer than this.

Edited by EnterName

• 9 months later...