Mk3 octavia estate petrol auto - anything to watch out for?

Fontmoss

Close to pulling the trigger on an octavia estate. Will be a petrol dsg and looking at SE/ SE L trim. Aiming for <30k miles and hoping to spend under £16k. Was tempted to get a mk4 before saw the horror stories on here. So now thinking 2017/18 mk3 but anything I should be looking out for in terms of issues? If I should be considering something else for my money let me know!

Thanks

Forgot to say, looking at 1.4 as think 1.0 will be bit underpowered. Coming from a Mini Cooper and sprog on the horizon is main impetus for the change. Mostly be shopping/trips with urchin and long trips 150 -350 miles but not a commuter.

ta

I believe that will be the newer 1.4 TSI with 150bhp? Think they're belt driven so no timing chain issues. And otherwise a cracking engine.

If you're mainly just doing short trips then petrol is the right choice.

The DSG should also be trouble free at that mileage and year.

Just be sure to take it for a really good test drive. Try and get in some stop start traffic and check for any clutch judder.

• Love it! 1

1.4TSI, 150PS is a great engine, so effortless from a little over 1200 rpm - 2.0 145PS would be a hoot, but can't have everything I guess! :thinking:

Thanks!

We’re in Bristol so an imminent clean air zone and the general direction of travel away from diesel made the petrol front runner. 2.0 would be lovely!

Should also say that my wife would prefer a karoq…higher equivalent cost, less space and general Id rather an estate have been my defences so far, rightly or wrongly!

• 2 weeks later...

?

What did you find. How old?

No such thing as a Major Service with Skoda other than they used to call each 2nd service or if on Variable Servicing a Major One.

Minor / interim & then a Major.

So not much done year one and 2, then more year 3, different year 5 etc.

Not the say Oil & Inspection Service & Extended Scope each 3 years and extras cost extra.

Screenshot 2021-07-21 at 12.20.53.jpg

No servicing of the DSG then if it is a 1.4TSI with a DQ200.

Brake Fluid change was due at 3 years, if not done the brake fluid can be tested for H2o content.

The Air Filter will need checked to see if it has been replaced / cleaned.

Spark Plugs need checking and maybe replacing if no record of being done.

Pollen Filter might need cleaning or replacing.

Collecting it on Wednesday. MOT, change brake fluid and plugs, re gas the air con.

Just looking at getting a space saver or full spare wheel. Also a tow bar for bike carrier v roof rack carrier.

Thanks again for the help here!

As for the bike carrier. I'd honestly invest the money and get a tow bar.

I've had one for the last few years and it's come in handy on a few occasions.

Carrying the bikes on a tow bar rack is also much better than on the roof.

Yeah and I once drove from York to Germany via channel tunnel and it knocked around 10mpg off with 2 bikes on our 1.9 TDI DSG Octavia roof.

With the tow bar rack it barely makes a difference it seems.

Edited by Phil-E