Taking the Kodiaq to the Continent

Hi all. 
I’m driving to Italy, via France, in my Kodiaq L&K 2020 plate. 
Does anyone know if you I need to get some of those headlight converts to stop dazzling on coming traffic when driving on the continent on the right hand side? 
Or is there a way of electronically adjusting this these days? 
Many thanks

Danny

If visiting certain French cities, get a Crit-Air sticker (it was about £3.50 when I ordered one 2 years ago)

Some French fuel pumps have 5 grades, normally need credit card before they dispense, so make sure you don’t use wrong nozzle

If travelling my motorway, can buy toll sticker, or pay as you go (but you passenger will need to pay as machines on left)

Be careful in Italy, many medieval towns have restricted zones, and if you pass the signs and drive into the zones there are hefty penalties.

Also requirements have changed since stupid Brexit, now need to carry your V5 ownership document to get through customs, and proof of International insurance, and may need the international driving license, and also check if your European health cards need replacing

I think ACC learns after 3 or 4 goes that you are passing on other side if you forget to enable travel mode

Edited by SurreyJohn

And for France you'll need a breathalyser kit as well as high vis vests for every passenger. I think you have to carry a spare bulb kit as well. Probably a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher as well!

This is better than any comedy I have seen for a very long time :D

If thats what turns you on then by all means jump through all these  hypothetical or imagined hoops, put stickers on your boot and windscreen, carry a bootload of ethylotests and gilet jaunes (only N.F. marked ones of course :wink:), fill your glovebox with documentation but I can assure you you will simply drive off the ferry or Eurotunnel in France and continue your journey unimpeded as you have always done, nothing has changed, you always carried the V5 and your insurance anyway.

What you really should be concerning yourself with are the real and not imagined obstacles to being able to return to your country, arranging PCR tests and getting the results within 36 hours of travel, having internet access and a computer to fill out and print off the passenger locator forms, book and pay for day 2 and day 8 Covid travel tests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

This is better than any comedy I have seen for a very long time :D

If thats what turns you on then by all means jump through all these  hypothetical or imagined hoops, put stickers on your boot and windscreen, carry a bootload of ethylotests and gilet jaunes (only N.F. marked ones of course :wink:), fill your glovebox with documentation but I can assure you you will simply drive off the ferry or Eurotunnel in France and continue your journey unimpeded as you have always done, nothing has changed, you always carried the V5 and your insurance anyway.

What you really should be concerning yourself with are the real and not imagined obstacles to being able to return to your country, arranging PCR tests and getting the results within 36 hours of travel, having internet access and a computer to fill out and print off the passenger locator forms, book and pay for day 2 and day 8 Covid travel tests.

What a stupid response! Effectively stating "ignore all the laws of those  foreigners, you're British and don't need to follow them"

Until you get stopped by the poice. Or break down. Or are involved in an accident.

There are good reasons that many Eurooean countries require yellow vests, warning triangles, breathalyser tests, etc. You might as well not bother with car or personal insurance, or a driving licence, or any of that other stuff that no one ever checks.

Yes, you might well get away with it. However, even if you don't agree with them, it's not your right to ignore the laws of another country just because you don't want to buy a few bits and pieces. 

I spoke too soon, the comedy gets better :D

4 minutes ago, KeithOwen said:

What a stupid response! Effectively stating "ignore all the laws of those  foreigners, you're British and don't need to follow them"

"Effectively" only in your imagination

You might as well not bother with car or personal insurance, or a driving licence, or any of that other stuff that no one ever checks.

I wont be following your advice on that one thankyou.

However, even if you don't agree with them, it's not your right to ignore the laws of another country just because you don't want to buy a few bits and pieces. 

I made no mention of whether I agreed or otherwise, I don't ignore the laws of my country and your assertion that I do and my reasons for doing so are completely out of line.

I do however know the laws of my country and when rubbish is being talked, I know that rather than back down the government decriminalised the offence (in your mind) of not carrying an ethylotest (I am teetotal by the way) be reducing the fine to zero.

I know that the Douanes have neither concern for nor jurisdiction over insurance certificates, drivers licenses or health insurance cards.

I know that the Critair sticker is not an obligation for any French citizen or foreign visitor and that its sole purpose is to be a visible indication for any Police Municipale stopping vehicles within the Metropoles on the high pollution days where certain vehicles are excluded, this has never happened (can you imagine the gridlock in Paris) because those who pay the money to advertise their emissions status simply stay away those days, there is no ANPR system to monitor it nor mechanism to send out fines. Most visitors driving in France  would either avoid Paris or drive around the Boulevard Périphérique which is the outer limit of the Critair zone.

And as for being fined for not displaying a seperate UK sticker.............. :sadsmile:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I spoke too soon, the comedy gets better :D

"Effectively" only in your imagination

I wont be following your advice on that one thankyou.

I made no mention of whether I agreed or otherwise, I don't ignore the laws of my country and your assertion that I do and my reasons for doing so are completely out of line.

I do however know the laws of my country and when rubbish is being talked, I know that rather than back down the government decriminalised the offence (in your mind) of not carrying an ethylotest (I am teetotal by the way) be reducing the fine to zero.

I know that the Douanes have neither concern for nor jurisdiction over insurance certificates, drivers licenses or health insurance cards.

I know that the Critair sticker is not an obligation for any French citizen or foreign visitor and that its sole purpose is to be a visible indication for any Police Municipale stopping vehicles within the Metropoles on the high pollution days where certain vehicles are excluded, this has never happened (can you imagine the gridlock in Paris) because those who pay the money to advertise their emissions status simply stay away those days, there is no ANPR system to monitor it nor mechanism to send out fines. Most visitors driving in France  would either avoid Paris or drive around the Boulevard Périphérique which is the outer limit of the Critair zone.

And as for being fined for not displaying a seperate UK sticker.............. :sadsmile:

You clearly know more about the driving laws in France than I do, so I bow to your superior knowledge. However, your flippant "by all means jump through all these  hypothetical or imagined hoops" was clearly intended to denigrate the customs of France, Italy or any other country that the OP (or other readers) might pass through. Whether or not the Douanes have authority over everything mentioned is not the point - the advice given by previous posters was to try to aid the OP in what he might need to do to travel to/through another country. Your "advice" was to ignore all that as not necessary.

If you want to get picky, it's not necessary to print the Passenger Locator Form. If the OP travels after 19th July it's not necessary to quarantine nor take a covid test on day 8 if he's been fully vaccinated or not visited a red zone country (none of the EU countries between here and Italy are)

• Like 1

I decline your invitation to get picky, you seem to have that side covered.

Unfortunately as things stand I will have to quarantine for 10 days on arrival as my Phizer vaccinations were not done by the NHS. - I am a British citizen with a UK passport returning to my UK residence soon after July 19th

I also have to print the passenger location form.

I also have to book and pay for and have a printed reciept for the 2 and 8 day Covid tests, its news to me that I do not need to take a test that I have to purchase or be refused entry to my birth country.

If my understanding is incorrect then I would be delighted to learn different.

Finally will you please desist from point scoring & expressing your totally incorrect perceptions of what I am "clearly intending"

I did not denigrate the Douanes nor advise people to ignore advice given.  Your comments that I consider I have the right to ignore the laws of another country because I don't want to buy a few bits and pieces and  "ignore all the laws of those  foreigners, you're British and don't need to follow them" are beneath contempt, France is my country.

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

I decline your invitation to get picky, you seem to have that side covered.

Unfortunately as things stand I will have to quarantine for 10 days on arrival as my Phizer vaccinations were not done by the NHS. - I am a British citizen with a UK passport returning to my UK residence soon after July 19th

I also have to print the passenger location form.

I also have to book and pay for and have a printed reciept for the 2 and 8 day Covid tests, its news to me that I do not need to take a test that I have to purchase or be refused entry to my birth country.

If my understanding is incorrect then I would be delighted to learn different.

Finally will you please desist from point scoring & expressing your totally incorrect perceptions of what I am "clearly intending"

I did not denigrate the Douanes nor advise people to ignore advice given.  Your comments that I consider I have the right to ignore the laws of another country because I don't want to buy a few bits and pieces and  "ignore all the laws of those  foreigners, you're British and don't need to follow them" are beneath contempt, France is my country.

From https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list

"Changes to international travel rules for amber list countries

From 4am Monday 19 July you will not need to quarantine on arrival in England or take a day 8 COVID-19 test, as long as you:

• have been fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme
  • have not been in a red list country in the 10 days before you arrive in England

Fully vaccinated means that you have had your final dose of an approved vaccine at least 14 days before the date you arrive in England.

You will need to:

• declare that you have been fully vaccinated on your passenger locator form
  • show proof of your vaccination status to your carrier (ferry, airline or train) when you travel

Read about how you can use the NHS COVID Pass to show proof of your COVID-19 vaccination status.

Children under the age of 18, who are returning to the UK, and people taking part in formally approved COVID-19 vaccine clinical trials will also be exempt from requirements to quarantine and take the day 8 test.

If you are not fully vaccinated under the UK vaccination programme, you will have to quarantine on arrival and take both the day 2 and day 8 tests.

If you arrive in England before 4am, Monday 19 July you must follow the rules as set out below, even if you have been fully vaccinated."

As your vaccination wasn't done in the UK this probably doesn’t apply to you. But we were talking about the OP

It's never been a requirement to physically print the form. I've travelled from EU to UK several times during the past 18 months and never printed it out. Likewise the negative PCR test result. Online proof is sufficient in both cases

From https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

"After you complete the form you will receive a QR code via email. You can print this out or show it on your phone as proof of completion."

Ummmm.....trying to get this discussion somewhat closer to I guess what the OP was asking.... my neighbour has a few-years-old Superb with LED headlights, and he reckons that coming off the Dover-Calais crossing, when the car's GPS registered he was in the EU, the infotainment system offered to amend the headlight setting. Anyone know if this is the situation with the Kodiaq? That would really be Simply Clever!

One of the cars I considered before deciding on the Kodiaq was the Honda CR-V. Doing my research, I found and downloaded the owner's manual, and was somewhat surprised to see the instructions for fitting stick-on beam deflectors. The salesperson responded that this "was a mistake, it's where they re-used an old manual, LED lights have a flat beam pattern, no adjustment needed, honest" but checking with Honda, they confirmed that the stickers are indeed needed because the LED dipped beam pattern isn't flat. So kudos to Skoda for making this adjustment easy (as it was in previous two Golfs, simple adjustment via the infotainment system). This was an important factor for us, since pre-Covid we visited the EU several times a year, often with crossing times that meant driving in the dark and needing to use lights. Headlight stickers? That's so last millennium.....

The Very Big Thing to watch out for is that some countries, like Luxembourg, have very strict rules when it comes to using dashcams - and these are enforced, with big fines. And before anyone rushes to say, oh, you can get away with it....a colleague got stopped by the police in Luxembourg for just that reason, fortunately he escaped with a warning and they stood there while he disconnected his cam and placed it in the glovebox.

Don't know about Italy, but speed camera locators are illegal in France, so if you have one incorporated in your sat nav it should be disabled in the settings. French gendarmes like to be quite covert with their mobile speed cameras, so best advice is to stick to speed limits.

It's also been mentioned since Brexit that having GB imprinted on your number plate is no longer good enough and you should have an old fashioned black and white GB sticker. Very juvenile and I doubt it is enforced, but just making you aware.

31 minutes ago, olderman1 said:

It's also been mentioned since Brexit that having GB imprinted on your number plate is no longer good enough and you should have an old fashioned black and white GB sticker.

Nostalgia doesn't Top Trump a new 'UK' one though. ;)

9 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Nostalgia doesn't Top Trump a new 'UK' one though. ;)

Aha, I wasn't aware they were available.

I've always been averse to putting stickers on paintwork, so I'll continue to use my current number plates and take my chances.

2 hours ago, SinglePointSafety said:

Headlight stickers? That's so last millennium.....

I used to drive a BMW 850. You could switch the lights from left to right via a lever under the bonnet. This is in a car designed in the 1980s :thumbup:

Ah yes KeithOwen, those were the days..... for at least a decade all of my cars' headlights have been easily changeable, either using the infotainment system or lever(s) under the bonnet, so anything which still requires bits of sticky plastic on the headlights....? What????

And, dammit, I still have a trusty magnetic GB sticker - destined to become a fridge magnet I suppose :sadsmile:  Perhaps we'll get more sympathy from the EU folks after the Euros final (sob) if we transgress....

I kind of understand the point JR is (I think) trying to make - that the enforcement of the various laws in various countries is, er, variable, so my approach has always been a common-sense compromise of obeying the important, high-consequence and visible stuff. IMHO it's also a good idea anyway to have a warning triangle and a hi-viz tabard in the car, and paper copies of V5C, insurance docs etc, as well as on my phone and in cloud storage.

Regarding the ULEZ issue, in Belgium, cities like Antwerp do indeed use ANPR and you need to register your car (assuming it meets the standards eg diesels must be Euro-6) which is easy(ish) to do on the web site. It's my understanding that most ULEZs are avoidable using park and ride facilities.

And another thing - since Brexit, there are laws on what foodstuffs you can take into the EU (remember the news report about lorry drivers' hammy sammies being confiscated by gleeful French customs?) but I have no idea if these laws are being enforced for the average tourist, since I've not been to the EU post-Covid: no doubt someone on this forum may be able to comment.

In my experience you are indeed unlikely to get stopped by a policeman asking to see your lunch (or whatever). But if you are stopped for any other reason, who knows what a bored official might ask you? 

By the way, I'm not too familiar with Italy, but Germany (where I lived until a couple of months ago) requires 1 hi-viz vest in the car. However it's recommended to have one per passenger. I have even seen some policemen state 1 vest for every seat in the car, occupied or not. 

1 hour ago, SinglePointSafety said:

I kind of understand the point JR is (I think) trying to make - that the enforcement of the various laws in various countries is, er, variable, so my approach has always been a common-sense compromise of obeying the important, high-consequence and visible stuff. IMHO it's also a good idea anyway to have a warning triangle and a hi-viz tabard in the car, and paper copies of V5C, insurance docs etc,

You understood correctly, the scare stories about France have been around since forever but they have become much worse with social media and especially since the B word.

I have travelled regularly between the UK and France for 4 decades, as a single male driver usually in an overloaded vehicle often towing an enclosed trailer I get stopped more frequently than most at the border controls but its still maybe one in 25 times, Border controls some interest is illegal immigration and it all gose the other way at the channel ports, the Douanes sole interest is importation of drugs, firearms, tobacco etc and the evasion of import duties and TVA, they have no interest or jurisdiction over the documentation etc of the vehicle being driven.

The Gendarmes & Police Nationale have enough on their hands to not be "bored", if you are stopped it will be for a moving offence, probably speeding the penalties are quite severe and their procedures very refined, there are centre d'entretien Gendarmerie on all the autoroutes, purpose built centres for detaining and processing offenders, you will be escorted off the autoroute to one of them and processed, you will not leave with your vehicle unless the on the spot fine is paid (there is an ATM there) if you have exceeded the limit by more than the allowed amount your vehicle can be seized and you will appear in court the next day or you may have to surrender your license, pay a huge amount towards a future court appearance and a co driver with valid license may carry on, your license being effectively suspended in France pending the tribunal decision.

Having achieved their aim they are not going to be concerned that your number plate says UK and not GB or that you have a cheese sandwich prepared in the UK.

You may be stopped at a mobile speed trap, they often use my car park to catch & process speeders in my village, in that case as a foreigner you will have to pay the on the spot fine but unless you were driving like a hoon or give them a hard time they are likely to send you on your way with a warning because they have so many others to process with for a French national very simple paperwork, they do give the business to the ocacsional Kevmobile or Mobylette that is a rolling death trap but thats to be expected, they never ask to see gilet jaunes or alcotesters etc, it simply does not happen to anybody under any circumstances.

Nor do they ask to see that a driver wearing spectacles is carrying a spare pair with the required correction, that is another law, a sensible one that most sensible people would not need reminding of anyway, but again a law that is never enforced.

All these regulations apply equally to motorcyclists whose machines simply dont have the space to carry all the equipment, common sense is required and it is shown on both sides.

The Douanes do the majority of their searches on the péages and exits from the autoroutes many miles from the ports at which time the smugglers have usually dropped their guard.

Thanks JR, that's interesting and useful observations. I knew about the speeding fines: a colleague got pulled over a couple of years ago and ended up with what he described as 'an eye-watering amount of £££ and hassle'. But then, he drives like a total d**k and thoroughly deserved it.....

• Thanks 1

As I am about to head for Europe after 7 months forced break, I already see tests and Eurotunnel availability as primary concern dwarfing any usual road readiness concerns.

After 19th July, assuming you are 2 weeks after 2nd vaccination and have proof of it, you still need a PCR or antigen test (£40 "Fit to Fly" ones work, free NHS ones don't) to enter Eurotunnel.

Then some countries at least officially still ban UK transit, the Netherlands being one of them, theoretical fine of EUR95 for entering Netherlands without registration for any length of time, and also theoretical quarantine for UK arrivals for any length of time.

Compare to Belgium where you do not even need test so long as you leave the country within 12hrs.

France, Belgium and Germany are OK for UK car travel, check others if you need to.

You also need antigen or PCR test at wherever you are prior to your return trip to the UK, and then book and have evidence at the border for another test on day 2 after the trip back to the UK. At least quarantine is now to be gone for fully vaccinated people and Amber list countries. 

Al in all, these tests will cost you at least £110 in total, £80 in the UK and £30 abroad. These are the supposedly relaxed travel rules - anything but, apart from the usual Eurotunnel, I have to visit 2 nearest airports at departure and destination to do the tests and get the result on the spot. 

Then, if like me you still have Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller tickets, be prepared for a shock, hardly any weekend departures available, and by weekend I mean Thursday till Sunday morning...

No new Frequent Traveller tickets sold, note on the website is they want people to use lots of unspent ones through the lockdown. 

For someone travelling to/from Europe 15-20 times a year prior to Covid, this is noticeable pain and more than doubling of crossing costs.

As for the GB/UK sticker, I keep forgetting to attach it (magnetically) to my vRS for 10+ trips now and so far no one complained, note I keep forgetting because for past 20+ years I have had "GB" in EU stars on the licence plates.

I agree with a lot of JR remarks, though as usual, fortune favours the prepared so best to have the sensible bits of equipment in the car.