Suspension Replacement Advice

Hi

I have a 2016 plate L&K 220TSI (45k miles) which I have just been told two of the shock absorbers are starting to mist so have been told to consider replacement at somepoint in the next 12 months.  The garage I use is an independent and have been a customer for decades so trust their thought process on timings etc but I will look at getting them done when the finances allow as I, whilst knowing naff all about cars from a technical aspect, understand the critical aspect of those parts.  Apart from this the car I have been told is still in excellent condition and has only just had new brakes all round.

I have been googling around and notice that I am in for a "interesting" invoice given that I have DCC with it being an L&K.  The garage when the time comes say they will give me two prices one for OE parts and one for aftermarket ones and I am wondering which way to jump.  They are leaning towards OE parts as being the better option through quality etc.   Having Googled as mentioned I see the Billstein B16's as being the ones for my car with electronic adjustable suspension which is what I assume I have with it being DCC?

In terms of driving I don't really have a problem with the suspension, albeit I have always had to put it in Sports mode to go over speed humps etc as I find the car hits bottom if that is the right phrase if left on normal and certainly on comfort.  I have moved to parking in a different car park at work to avoid these going forward to help prolong the lift of what I have.

What would the more experienced members suggest for this car, am not after anything fancy etc it is just a normal family car and it normally sits in comfort / normal depending on what is loaded into the car.  I think what I am trying to get at is am after something that is good value for money etc, but would be happy to spend an extra amount for a big difference in quality etc.  Also am not interested in lowering the height of the car as I feel it is already low enough.

Also would it be recommended to replace springs at the same time given they will essentially have the car in bits to do the shocks, especially given the state of UK roads these days and if I move away from OE parts do I need to inform insurance as I have seen that mentioned online.

Thanks for any advice and if I need to clarify anything let me know.  As I say just a normal guy with very little knowledge of cars (well oil & water one end and petrol at the other etc).

Paul

There are 2 aftermarket replacements from Bilstein which are affordable than any dealer's prices. 

So the ones which are compatible with DCC are B4 DTC and B6 DTC.

B4's are a direct replacement/similar spec to the standard whereas B6's will give a sportier and composed ride. 

You are looking c £270 - £300 per damper/strut. 

Given there is hardly any price difference, B6 would be the better choice and Awesome gti seem to have the best price.  Only issue is you will have to wait as I think it may take 8 weeks + to arrive here Bilstein Germany. 

Edited by Awesam
Update

• Sponsor
On 17/07/2021 at 18:56, pentaxian said:

Hi

I have a 2016 plate L&K 220TSI (45k miles) which I have just been told two of the shock absorbers are starting to mist so have been told to consider replacement at somepoint in the next 12 months.  The garage I use is an independent and have been a customer for decades so trust their thought process on timings etc but I will look at getting them done when the finances allow as I, whilst knowing naff all about cars from a technical aspect, understand the critical aspect of those parts.  Apart from this the car I have been told is still in excellent condition and has only just had new brakes all round.

I have been googling around and notice that I am in for a "interesting" invoice given that I have DCC with it being an L&K.  The garage when the time comes say they will give me two prices one for OE parts and one for aftermarket ones and I am wondering which way to jump.  They are leaning towards OE parts as being the better option through quality etc.   Having Googled as mentioned I see the Billstein B16's as being the ones for my car with electronic adjustable suspension which is what I assume I have with it being DCC?

In terms of driving I don't really have a problem with the suspension, albeit I have always had to put it in Sports mode to go over speed humps etc as I find the car hits bottom if that is the right phrase if left on normal and certainly on comfort.  I have moved to parking in a different car park at work to avoid these going forward to help prolong the lift of what I have.

What would the more experienced members suggest for this car, am not after anything fancy etc it is just a normal family car and it normally sits in comfort / normal depending on what is loaded into the car.  I think what I am trying to get at is am after something that is good value for money etc, but would be happy to spend an extra amount for a big difference in quality etc.  Also am not interested in lowering the height of the car as I feel it is already low enough.

Also would it be recommended to replace springs at the same time given they will essentially have the car in bits to do the shocks, especially given the state of UK roads these days and if I move away from OE parts do I need to inform insurance as I have seen that mentioned online.

Thanks for any advice and if I need to clarify anything let me know.  As I say just a normal guy with very little knowledge of cars (well oil & water one end and petrol at the other etc).

Paul

Hi. 

If you do fit non standard parts then yes you will need to inform your insurer.

Regards,

Dan

I have had to do the same and i decided to go for the Bilstein as the Skoda ones to my mind failed at least 8 years to early (never ever had to replace them on any previous car which are often 12 years old by the time I change) and so why buy something that failed.

If you do go for Bilstein, make sure they come with the electrical cable as the Skoda one currently fitted is too short and if they aren't in the box it takes weeks to get them supplied. Car still drives, just the warning light dings every time you drive

• 3 weeks later...

:biggrin: Think I need to get my mines raised!  Im on B16 damptronics.

Wife was complaining as the ride became bouncing at high speed.

IMG_20210716_150738.jpg

22 hours ago, Txmax said:

Nice setup!

What top strut mounts have you used?

I think they look like standard ones.

Shocks fitted this afternoon. Only had the drive home to try it out so far and the feeling is actually similar stock over normal bumps. Support however is much better. Turn in is sharper and the reduced roll means that return after a turn is improved.

That's my 5 minute review.  I'll give it another go once I've enjoyed it for a few days/weeks.

Edit:

I do have a small handful of related mods that would add to the feel. Rubber ring spring assisters in the rear, dogbone insert, 12mm spacers front, 20mm spacers rear.

Edited by MarkyG82
Added mod info

Mark would love to hear more about the coilovers soon. 

My front left is leaking oil at 20k miles and I find the stock ride comfort around corners and over bumps pretty horrendous (passive setup) 

It bangs, leans and bounces! 

Quite markedly different to the smooth and quiet suspension in my 2019 Ford Focus which feels like top mounts and dampers are worth 10x more. 

The top mounts are made of cheese on the mqb cars. At least the 2 I've had and the wife's arona (mqb?). 

Done some more short runs today and it's noticeably less crashy. The overall feel is quite similar to the stock setup on my Passat which, from reading accounts on here, I think is a touch firmer than the superb. Body roll was not a big issue with my car but it's reduced more now. Makes coming out of a corner more predictable and stable.

As for your "bangs, leans and bounces", all I can say so far is it's reduced in all areas. I'll give more feedback after a week of commuting ( 11 miles each way cross country).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So had some time in the car with the new shocks including a longish trip yesterday (1hr each way) with a mix of town, country and cruise driving.

Overall the change is better in every aspect.

I need to remove the rubber assisters from the rear as that "patch" is being shown up by the better damping. I will drive it for a little bit without but very likely to fit an upgraded rear roll bar as a proper upgrade. With the way these shocks work they need the travel in the stroke to react. The rubber blocks are limiting the springs somewhat at the rear. Turn in is good but the overall ride is hampered as a result. Better roll control is the way forward.

Will report back again once these changes have been made.

Mighty car mods discount on whiteline at the mo. Rude not to. Rear roll bar going in sooner than I originally thought.

Edited by MarkyG82
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just to finalise the topic.

Thanks for all the input, when my mechanic came to look around he was struggling to find anything none VW.  These lasted 50,000 mile and 5 years and I do not intend to still have the car in 5 years or 50,000 miles time.

Had all four shocks replaced and all four springs and the car feels much better.  Turns out one of the original springs looked broken at the very top, just a small chuck missing from the very end of the spring not actually in the spring itself.

Price wise, yes not the cheapest.  

• Like 1

If you are happy with the result then its a good result.

Managed to fit my rear roll bar this morning. Fitted thicker top pads on the springs while there too. Only a quick spin round the block so far but it's a good improvement. Comfort is not affected but the back end just feels more confident.