Mandatory requirement on new cars from 2022 speed limiters

As a local hero of mine recently said:

"The regulatory ratchet never stops clicking, does it?"

If you read the linked article you'll see that initially it can be switched off at the start of a journey, or over-ridden on the go with the accelerator pedal, so not necessary to tinker with any software.

As someone who deals with accident data on a regular basis I'd love to see the evidence for what safety improvements speed limiters will achieve.  My gut feeling is that it will be based on a 'best case' for accident savings and severity split and some dubious maths...   A bit like the air pollution causes x deaths per year one that was shown to be mathematically flawed.

Might mean I'll be keeping our current cars even longer now though

4 minutes ago, skomaz said:

As someone who deals with accident data on a regular basis I'd love to see the evidence for what safety improvements speed limiters will achieve.  My gut feeling is that it will be based on a 'best case' for accident savings and severity split and some dubious maths...   A bit like the air pollution causes x deaths per year one that was shown to be mathematically flawed.

Might mean I'll be keeping our current cars even longer now though

If I remember correctly, the last DETR / TRL research into the correlation between speed and accidents concluded that excessive speed was only a major causal factor in serious accidents in something between 6 - 7% of cases.  

If you feel like wading through the report... http://www.20splentyforuk.org.uk/UsefulReports/TRLREports/trl421SpeedAccidents.pdf

The problem with having compulsory speed limiters is that it assumes the speed limits are set sensibly, not by someone trying to score political points.

Tragically there was an accident near where we lived where a teenager died (and 4 others seriously injured) and it led to some local councillors getting speed limit changed from 30mph to 20mph on basis of the accident and death.

Being so close to where we lived got to talk to police investigator and Accident actually happened middle of the night, the driver was apparently over limit (wouldn’t say if drink or drugs), car was estimated by police to be doing 60mph, and person killed was thrown out because they weren’t wearing a seatbelt as too drunk to put it on.  

The result was 20mph limit on that section of A307 in Petersham introduced about 10 years ago, since extended by Richmond upon Thames Council to virtually every road in the Borough as apparently motorists find it too difficult to understand changes in speed limits.   

Sorry but I object to blanket low speed limits, and believe limits should be set appropriately by road type.   I still don’t know how someone ignoring the then 30mph limit, crashing at 60mph justifies changing limit to 20mph.

Sadly since moving to Wiltshire there has been similar accident, 4 died at Derry Hill, also returning from nightclub, coroner reports indicate driver intoxicated, crashed at estimated 120mph (double the speed limit).   Again an overridable speed limiter wouldn’t have made one bit of difference.

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 2