Breakdown - Coil pack no.3 dead shorted / multiplug burnt out - any thoughts or advice please?

Hi all

Had a break down yesterday and am waiting for the car to be recovered back to me… I’m trying to find out a bit more about the fault that the RAC man diagnosed, as well as finding a garage who can book us in to repair. 

Whilst calling around, one of the garages said that the fault is an uncommon one and may be a sign of a much bigger problem (but couldn’t say for sure without looking at the car).  None of the others have mentioned this so far.

Whilst I carry on calling to try and get something sorted I wondered if anyone here has had this happen and/or has any thoughts to share? 

The report says:

- Coil pack no. 3 has dead shorted

- Requires new multiplug and coil

- Fuel pump fuse F61 will also need replacing 

There’s also some photos which I’ll attach below. 

Many thanks

IMG_20210718_081712012.thumb.jpg.92c07192a160446149166adc134957a4.jpg

IMG_20210718_081709685.thumb.jpg.4282b00e7d406489afe89dcf18f2b098.jpg

Edited by Hawthorn654

• Hawthorn654 changed the title to Breakdown - Coil pack no.3 dead shorted / multiplug burnt out - any thoughts or advice please?

Wow, dramatic pics!

I'm a little surprised that there isn't a fuse that supplies just the coilpacks (will look it up if you tell me year of car and engine code (AZQ or BME?).

Any fluids evident down the hole the coilpack fits in?

Edited by Wino
  • Thanks 1

First diagram I've looked at (AZQ engine from Feb 2003) suggests that fuse 52 should have failed first, has that been checked?  It supplies coilpacks and a switched power feed to the engine ECU.

Doubt there's anything major wrong.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the quick reply @Wino

Dramatic doesn't sound good - potentially!  EDIT - doubting there is anything major wrong sounds better  :)  

The RAC didn't mention anything about fluids and my partner (who was with the car - I wasn't there) didn't notice any, but didn't specifically look either.  

The car is a 2003 1.2 Comfort. HTP 64.  It's not here at the moment so not sure of the engine code.  Would it be in the log book or anything?  I do have then Chassis Number if that helps?

Have just asked my partner for more details and this is what she's told me...  He thought that it was the fuel pump that had gone first.  So he got her to turn the ignition but it wouldn't start, but it was enough for him to hear that the fuel pump was working.  The wires coming out of the fuel pump showed rodent damage though but he thought were ok, but when he changed the fuse (presume fuse 61) it blew straight away.  He then thought that maybe the wires had been damaged somewhere else.  However, he then put in a higher rated fuse and it didn't blow and the engine started (but sounded chuggy and throaty), which then led him to find the coil issue and multiplug issue.  Not sure if that helps?!  

Thank you so very much - you're a great help.

PS - are coil no.3 and multiplug expensive parts?  

A 2003 64bhp will be code AZQ, so I fluked the correct wiring diagram. BME engine replaced it in 2005 or late 2004, I forget exactly.

The spark plug needs to be removed and checked.

Coilpacks aren't especially expensive, £20-odd quid for a mid-price one I expect, genuine from dealer will be a chunk more, and probably no better.  036 905 715F is the part number recommended in the parts catalogue.

Plug/Wiring it's probably OK to harvest a second-hand connector plug with a few inches of wire at a local scrappie, and crimp or solder the connections to your existing loom beyond the damaged parts.

If you read the part number off the plug (possibly one of the undamaged ones if No.3 has melted in the relevant area) you may find new or 2nd hand connectors on ebay, possibly complete with wire tails.

Edited by Wino
  • Thanks 1

The melted plug and socket  shows signs of poor connections. It is not always a sign of excessive current  flowing through that circuit. When the metal contacts in a plug and socket become tarnished and loose some of there tention a resistance  is present across the area where the male part of the plug is pushed into the female socket. Because of this the plug and socket pins heat up which in turn melts the plastic. In an ideal world all of us would pull the plug and socket apart ,and reconnect  every so often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll be interested to hear whether it was really fuse 61 or 52 that got changed.  Both are 15 Amp rated so when the fault is fixed it needs to be put back to that, whichever fuse.

Thank you both for such fantastic help.  This forum always amazes me in how quick and helpful people are in their responses.  Massive thumbs up.  @Wino - one away from 15,000 posts - very impressive indeed.  

Pretty sure it will be at least fuse 61, firstly because that's what he has written on the report, and secondly because when it was blowing he was thinking the fuel pump was the culprit.  But that's not to say fuse 52 hasn't blown as well...  Will let you know if I find out more.  

At the moment we've no idea where the car is!  RAC - who have always been great over the years - have been quite shockingly bad with this breakdown.

• Sad 1