Screen wash bottle leaking

Hi all

I've tried searching this forum but cannot find any posts that will assist.  My screen wash bottle appears to be leaking.  The contents are dripping at the front n/s behind a plastic piece.  To examine further I need to view the precise source of the leak.  Any clues please as to how I get to the actual bottle?  Do I remove the wheel arch plastic cover or attack it via the front bumper area.

Anyone else had this problem?  If so any ideas as to what might be actually leaking; the bottle, hoses, sensor housing?

Car is Mk3 MY2016 estate.

In advance, thank you.

Oh happy days.  Just had an AA patrol out to look at the problem.  He partially removed the n/s wheel liner and said he could see a pin hole in the bottle.  Any clever chaps out there can tell me the easiest route to get at the bottle so I can replace it?

Thanks Unclerichy. I think that is definitely worth a shot. Would save a lot of effort. Maybe I should use RTV silicone adhesive sealant. As I see it, nothing much to lose. 

Plumber's Gold has never let me down on sealing tasks.

If the leak site was spotted via wheel arch liner, I'd think that full removal of that will give you sufficient access.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Empty the bottle and direct a fan/blower of some description to blow clear and then dry the bottle out. I've drilled and tapped a hole and used a sealant on the threads of a stainless bolt when I've had trouble just using sealant.

• Thanks 1

Thanks NJRJ.  If I can get good access I will consider your helpful advice.  (Why oh why do they make these things so difficult to get at!)

I removed the n/s front wheel and most of the plastic liner.  Filled the bottle with water and the bugger wouldn't leak!!! I tried blowing down the filler to give it some pressure and it still won't leak.  I've put it all back together with a full bottle and will watch with interest.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yep, totally normal.
The headlamp washer pump failed on our MKI. Got a replacement pump so front wheel off, wheel arch liner off and before I took the old one off, though I’d test it and bu**er me, it bloody-well worked. Put two full bottles through it and all was well. So put it all back together and now, fully chuffed with myself thought I’ll just check it agi…. yeah, yeah… you know, don’t you? Decided to face the the whole process the following day, but it took me half the time which was great. This was three years ago and it’s still all ok. 

• Haha 1

It gets worse!  I took the plunge and bought a new washer bottle.  Took the wheel off and removed enough of the wheel arch liner to give me access to remove the bottle.  What a sod to remove!!  Just 3 nuts but one was virtually impossible to see let alone unscrew.  But with patience and extensions to my socket I managed it.  The bottle separated from the funnel and came out.  Trying to get the funnel out from the top was testing my patience but out it came.  Fitting the new bottle went quite well (with blue tac on the nut that was difficult to see).  Trying to get the new funnel in via the top was difficult.  I used very hot water to make it more malleable.  I also took off the square thing (power output?) attached to the headlight to give me more room. Eventually got it in and attached to the bottle.  Before refitting the liner I checked the bottle.  Filled it up and guess what?  IT STILL LEAKED!  Closer examination revealed that the leak was from the washer pump and not the bl**dy bottle.  I dashed out and bought a new pump.  It took just under 2 minutes to fit and the leak was gone. So I didn't need a new bottle after all.  Grrrr. Wheel arch liner and wheel back on and all is well.  BTW, is it me or is the 19" wheel somewhat heavy??  It is a sod to lift up and line up to secure it.  My tip to assist that is to lower the jack to make it not too far to lift and to remove the plastic centre thing from the wheel and lift the wheel onto the hub.  

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

Well, that’s one of the joys of operating a branch of ‘Kerbside Motors’ eh……….as for the heavy wheels, I agree, especially when, like me you’re approaching 70. I use one of those locating pins, well worth the £5 I paid.

Glad you are sorted and you never know, that knowledge on how to remove the bottle may come in one day……….:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, MChris said:

Berisford, Do you have a link or other info about these locating pins please? Are they M14?

Yes, 14mm x 1.5 wheel locating pin - lots on Ebay or a little cheaper on AliExpress..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002664263391.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.25c26a22fCphTR&algo_pvid=c69836d4-65bc-46ff-b4b7-78b223785f32&algo_exp_id=c69836d4-65bc-46ff-b4b7-78b223785f32-8

• Thanks 1

Very useful comments since I’ve discovered I’m screenwashing the floor every time I park. 😂. This is my next task to see which bit leaks and learn how to remove wheel arch liner. Although mines a mkII …

Edited by felix79
  • Like 1