Rob's Mk1 VRS Combi

RMDavis

6 hours ago, RMDavis said:

As for a thinner hubcentric spacer that will fit the rear hub I use a 12mm H&R that fits with no clearance issues.

https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/car-parts/skoda/octavia/hr-trak-12mm-hubcentric-wheel-spacers-boltsoctavia-1u-19962006

You might get away with a 10mm as my 8mm spacers nearly clear, but I can't confirm that! 

Thanks for that.  I'll have a look at getting a set of those, although they have gone up in price quite a bit since I last bought some!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul thornton said:

Glad you took those Ronals off mate. Didn't want to say anything but I think they completely ruined the look of the car. Multispoke wheels always seem to suit the octavia best.

Appreciate the comment mate, thank you.

I love the wheel but sadly my gamble didn't pay off as multispoke definitely are the way forward as you said.

Especially considering my plan with this project, but hindsight is a wonderful thing! 

This rather depressing collection of parts depicts my next plan for the Octavia!

With the quest for more power on hold for the moment (the K300 safely tucked away) 

And with track time booked at Blyton in July I want to refresh and upgrade the suspension where possible. 

Currently I have replaced the shock absorbers with KW coilovers, fitted a Whiteline rear anti-roll bar, renewed  the rear beam axle bushes, and lower dog bone mount with powerflex items. 

I also fitted powerflex top mount bushes when the KW's went in and a front strut brace from an Audi TT.

The front end needs more love however and being based on the MK4 platform I'm going to undertake the very popular suspension upgrade robbing all the best bits from the TT, S3, R32, LCR family.

As shown in the photos I will be fitting:-

*Audi TT cast lower arms

*Audi TT subframe 

*Audi TT hubs

*Audi TT quick rack

These will all get cleaned up and painted, polybushed as required, new ball joints, new bearings etc along with a Whiteline front anti-roll bar to compliment the rear.

The main reason for fitting the Audi TT bits are as follows...

The subframe has extra bracing for rigidity, the cast arms are a better design and coupled with the hubs sit much flatter when the car is lowered. The ball joints on these arms also allow camber adjustment. 

It's well known that mk4 golf gti's etc eat driveshafts when lowered and that's because of the angle that the standard pressed arms introudce.

Along with other negative traits like 'wheel hop'

The standard steering rack on the octavia has a 3.7 lock to lock fitting the TT item will drop that number to 2.5 which is a huge difference!

These are all well-documented straight swap upgrades with very welcome welcome improvements to handling.

I will keep you updated as things progress! 👍🏻

20220421_135515.thumb.jpg.f0679a690eda42d997430c713199b6ae.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

New wheels on order! 

These should suit the old girl perfectly, and I won't be taking them off after a day and putting them up for sale this time... 😅

Should of got these in the first place!

spe_turini2120_ant.thumb.jpg.1a0a198ac3b4f9ddc56617168a9e3b43.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the TT/LCR/S3 quick rack and suspension conversion earlier today along with poly bushes, new steering arms, ball joints etc...

My god what a game changer! I can only confirm what's already been said about this mod, but it's night and day!

To be fair the front suspension on mine was pretty worn so a refresh was well overdue anyway but the result is so worth the effort.

I also replaced the power steering pump as mine had developed a leak behind the pulley and I deliberated on sticking with the 95 bar VRS or go for the 105 bar TT pump. 

I stuck with the VRS one, and again I have to agree with what others have said and the steering although a little heavier it suits the car well and feels superb through the steering wheel.

The old girl also got treated to EBC yellow stuff pads all round, new discs on the rear, ATE Type 200 brake fluid, HEL braided brake lines, and gearbox fluid change.

I got carried away with the oily stuff, and this is the only photo I took I'm afraid! 

IMG-20220612-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.5985b0dd2f937f158815dcc6ee764298.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RMDavis said:

I thought it would be rude not to do a little test whilst I was fitting the stud conversion.

That's some seriously low profile rubber you've got there. :D 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Here's a couple of photos after I finished putting up the tent Friday eve at Blyton, along with a nice sunset shot and as I'm an absolute geek I had to go and take a closer look at the Combine out in the field on Saturday night! 😂

Saturday morning started well out on track, and the wagon managed a couple of sessions, unfortunately the cursed coolant Y piece split sending coolant everywhere!

Luckily not whilst out on track, but after I parked up and popped the bonnet to try manage the insane heat we had yesterday! 

I was 4 hours from home and the nearest place that had the part I needed was Birmingham, so instead I took a chance and bought a roll of silicone amalgamation tape from a local Halfords and wrapped the split pipe.

It worked a treat, but I didn't want to tempt fate and risk it out on track again! But It did manage the 4 hour drive home however so I'm happy and lucky all the same.

I will be ordering a aluminium version of the section that split and will probably replace the other plastic components at the same time to stop this from happening again.

Even though it put a dampener on the day I really enjoyed myself and the Octavia has so much potential for the all round performance car that can do it all!

I'd like to pursue some more power, and will definitely be looking at a 6 speed gearbox with a diff to tame things whilst cornering. 

My mate got some photos of it out on track, so when he sends them to me I'll share those also! 👍🏻

20220715_194120.thumb.jpg.d8af2675a43edeff156ff9e76bc8d1d8.jpg20220715_194213.thumb.jpg.d685289832e7a3cc2580d61050b40c36.jpg20220715_194226.thumb.jpg.0f7dc77b71966c86f4b05e98ff6c4afb.jpg20220715_194313.thumb.jpg.ce1e6a03f1b6bf9ea1930702c13a26d3.jpg20220715_211143.thumb.jpg.e36f7acf451793315df92915db76693d.jpg20220716_211502.thumb.jpg.a22449d750962625391114ed8a24fefc.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a few photos of the wagon out on track! 

Really makes me smile looking at these, this car has come on along away in only a year of ownership! 

What started as a practical yet different daily driver has turned into a full on project thats brought the joy of modifying a car back to me! 😊

KF2_9505.thumb.JPG.d9d8eb0f8584a0422028519552bb59eb.JPGKF2_9507.thumb.JPG.c6c6ecbea95aeea87c520c9a004f9d1c.JPGKF2_1235.thumb.JPG.c8ff597aa25ae8245e370478a3327102.JPGKF2_1444.thumb.JPG.eacd1546fa90c3b8f8d70cd3d7293ac9.JPGKF2_1361.thumb.JPG.5143044281b7e346030b7aef0b94bbf2.JPGKF2_1446.thumb.JPG.042a18f29fd02ad02a1b1057d8bd8b92.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dubDEAN said:

what tyres did you go for and size out of interest , ps looks epic

Thanks bud! 😊

Tyres are Goodyear Supersports in 225/40/18

I wanted a road tyre with a fairly solid sidewall for occasional track use and still have decent manners on road and in the wet.

I'm really pleased with them so far. 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 21/07/2022 at 21:49, RMDavis said:

Thanks bud! 😊

Tyres are Goodyear Supersports in 225/40/18

I wanted a road tyre with a fairly solid sidewall for occasional track use and still have decent manners on road and in the wet.

I'm really pleased with them so far. 👍🏻

i will give them a try , wheels look spot on btw 😍

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dubDEAN said:

i will give them a try , wheels look spot on btw 😍

Cheers mate! 

It was a costly mistake buying those Ronals and selling then on for a loss, but seeing the car on the Speedlines now it's all worth it!

Edited by RMDavis
  • Love it! 1