Remove tailgate trim for rear dashcam install

Hi, I couldnt find any other threads describing this...

I'm wanting to install a rear dashcam. To do so neatly, I want to run the wire through the existing wiring loom at the top of the tailgate. But to access it and pull through the wire I need to remove the upper tailgate window trim, which means removing the tailgate lower trim first. Can aanyone help with this? The Skoda repair manual says it just unclips and remove, but I can only get the bottom 8 clips to unclip. The clips near the window seem rock solid and wont budge. Anyone have any experience removing the lower tailgate trim?

Trying to pull down on the trim (blue circled) and it wont budge. The red arrow clips come off easily. Is there some sort of mechanism I need to release first?

Thanks!

IMG_9098.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

OK, mine is 2018 reg hatchback, so there may be differences.  However, I had the same problem, but I managed to fit the camera without removing any more.  

I posted on member Wayland’s excellent ‘how-to’ thread.

Hope this helps

I have disassembled the tailgate trim many times on a Kodiaq, the top 4 clips are often hard to get out.  I usually use a metal crowbar and a strong pull in trim, but you have to pull very hard 

image.jpeg

On 07/08/2021 at 05:21, Baxlin said:

OK, mine is 2018 reg hatchback, so there may be differences.  However, I had the same problem, but I managed to fit the camera without removing any more.  

I posted on member Wayland’s excellent ‘how-to’ thread.

Hope this helps

Apologies, I didn’t note which forum this was in, and therefore which car it was, because the thread popped up on my default ‘unread posts’ selection (ie not a model-specific list), and looking at the OP’s detail on the left -  model: Octavia Combi -  I assumed the vehicle was an Octavia.

Edited by Baxlin

I had a camera fitted to my 2013 Tiguan and remember that there were additional holding clips a few inches under the centre of the rear screen.

The person doing this (who is a member on here) had a suitably long tool (:blush) to get the extra distance to unclip the rogue fixings.

On 07/08/2021 at 04:55, Skramit said:

Hi, I couldnt find any other threads describing this...

I'm wanting to install a rear dashcam. To do so neatly, I want to run the wire through the existing wiring loom at the top of the tailgate. But to access it and pull through the wire I need to remove the upper tailgate window trim, which means removing the tailgate lower trim first. Can aanyone help with this? The Skoda repair manual says it just unclips and remove, but I can only get the bottom 8 clips to unclip. The clips near the window seem rock solid and wont budge. Anyone have any experience removing the lower tailgate trim?

Trying to pull down on the trim (blue circled) and it wont budge. The red arrow clips come off easily. Is there some sort of mechanism I need to release first?

Thanks!

IMG_9098.jpg

IMG_9093.jpg

Did you manage to do the job?

23 hours ago, Baxlin said:

Did you manage to do the job?

Not yet, it's been raining a bit here so might have another go this weekend.

I did try to take it off again, but its just clipped on ridiculously strongly (i guess thats also a good thing) so I might have to route the cable another way.

I experienced exactly the same issue as yourself. I could lever off the lower section of trim but following the manual I could not release the upper half and felt like I would break the trim. I was not brave enough to apply the force it probably needs. I managed to connect the wires using 2 of the 4 the wiper cables and install a USB socked on the top of the trim using the gap made as shown in your photo. I was then able to plug my dashcam into the new ignition fed socket. By removing the wiper cable plug from the unit I was able to get access to tap the cables. I used a multi meter to determine the ignition fed leads. I had to use a torch and the video from my phone to understand the layout. It was awkward but work out in the end.

Edited by jasoncmiles

I got it installed. Finally! I didnt end up removing the trim, instead used a coat hanger to get the cable through the holes. See pics.

Took a bit of wiggling around but got the coat hanger through eventually then tapes the wire to it and pulled through. 

IMG_9156.HEIC IMG_9162.HEIC IMG_9161.HEIC IMG_9159.HEIC

• 2 months later...