Door open Warning lights

Hey Guys I new here and have just taken delivery of a 2020 vRS and love it. I have replaced the rear reverse and indicator globes as well as all the dome, boot and floor globes with LEDS. I ordered from SuperSkoda the Red LED with VRS projector for the front doors. What I wanting to know is they dont always work and when I plug in OBD11 is as 2 faults re the door warning lights. Does anyone know how to code these as LEDs?

1 hour ago, Pierre1968 said:

I have replaced the rear reverse and indicator globes as well as all the dome, boot and floor globes with LEDS.

Where did you get those LEDs from? Other people have mentioned previously that some of the LEDs from 'less desirable' sources can mess up the BCM causing strange faults to appear - such as the door LEDs (which are not monitored and cannot be coded) behaving weirdly.

Front door LEDs for the exit warning lamps:-

MQB platform door controller of which there are several versions...the higher the spec the car , usually the higher spec door controller is fitted..in this case there is a pin out for the "door exit warning lamp" as this is what the MK7 & mk7.5 Golf GTI/R use for the illuminated door sills. This controller with the pin unused is fitted to the GT/R-Line etc trim specs......There is also coding of the BCM which is required. I did a how to guide on this way back in October 2015 here:-

How to retro-fit the door exit warning lights from the VW Passat (2013->) | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

LEDs are directional, so you can plug them in & they don't work, so reverse the wires first to double check...

Also the rear doors in VW & I think Seat & Skoda do not have dorr controllers as they "piggy-back" of the front door controllers.......Audi on the other hand have individual rear door controllers so its very easy to add exit door warning lights on those..

I got the LEDS from Kopachek so should be of good quality. 

The car is an Octavia Mk3.5 vRS and does have sore control modules in each door. I will try and look through the modules and see if there is a LED options somewhere. 

the lights work but throw a fault code. What also happens is that they turn on when you open the door then sometimes turn off after 5-10 seconds. Shut the door and open it again they may come on or not. Hits a bit hit and miss as to when they turn on and off. 

1 hour ago, Pierre1968 said:

I got the LEDS from Kopachek so should be of good quality. 

The car is an Octavia Mk3.5 vRS and does have sore control modules in each door. I will try and look through the modules and see if there is a LED options somewhere. 

the lights work but throw a fault code. What also happens is that they turn on when you open the door then sometimes turn off after 5-10 seconds. Shut the door and open it again they may come on or not. Hits a bit hit and miss as to when they turn on and off. 

Have you tried reversing the wires from the loom into the connector for the LED lights??

The VCDS coding on the MQB platform MK7 Golf was:-

Now for VCDS:-
Plug in VCDS to re-code both the drivers & passenger door control modules as follows:-

· Select Control Module [Select]
· [42-Door Elec, Driver] & [52-Door Elec, Pass] will need coding separately.
· [Coding -07],
· [Long Coding],
· [Long Coding Helper],
· Byte1,
· Bit2, tick the box marked “Door exit/warning light installed”.

If the lights do not work, remove the light unit from the door card, unplug the connector & rotate it 180deg & re-insert it. It should now work!

So in reply the lights do work. Are you saying that they will work with polarity set in either way but work properly in one direction and not the other? The car has door light as factory fitted but they are not LEDS. I wondering if it also may have something to do with the front doors being LEDS and the rear being normal globes. I will try and reverse the cables which will reverse polarity and see what that does. I will also change the globes in the rears to LEDs.

From what I am reading there is not a setting for normal or LEDs for door warning lights like foot well light have.

Thank you  all for then information. If any one has more ideas please chime in. I will make the change tomorrow and see what happens and update here with results.

11 minutes ago, Pierre1968 said:

So in reply the lights do work. Are you saying that they will work with polarity set in either way but work properly in one direction and not the other? The car has door light as factory fitted but they are not LEDS. I wondering if it also may have something to do with the front doors being LEDS and the rear being normal globes. I will try and reverse the cables which will reverse polarity and see what that does. I will also change the globes in the rears to LEDs.

From what I am reading there is not a setting for normal or LEDs for door warning lights like foot well light have.

Thank you  all for then information. If any one has more ideas please chime in. I will make the change tomorrow and see what happens and update here with results.

So the car has factory incandescent door exit lights.....you have retro-fitted LED units which don't work 100%..

LEDs are directional i.e. they require + & - to be a certain way around..unlike the incandescent factory bulbs...so swap the wires around.

Also LEDs draw very little power & the door controller has to shut the power off internally.....You might have to place a resistor across the + & - of the LED in increase the resistance that the BCM "sees"...

Edited by fabdavrav

Perfect I will check polarity and switch them round. I will then see how they go and if they still play up I will then check what the difference between the incandescent and leds and possibly fit a resistor. I work with LEDS most days and as they are working in the door I automatically thought they polarity was correct. I think these Canbus LEDS have multi directional polarity but work better in the correct direction. 

• Like 1

Maybe not a solution, but I have a regular Octavia 1,5TSI from 2020 (manufactured 2019/09) and normal bulbs in the doors. I switched them for the white LEDs with "Octavia" written on the ground when opened (from SuperSkoda) and they are working perfect without any coding or anything. Maybe the LEDs are defect in some way that you got from SuperSkoda?