Superb Mk3 - What tyres are you all using?

RobM

What tyres do Superb MK3 owners recommend? Specifically if possible, on 19" alloys (235/40/19 Vega's)?

We're about to buy a Sportline 220 Superb MK3 and the selling dealer is proudly saying they've replaced all four tyres... but they're horrid budget nonsense that need to be removed straight away. The car will primarily be a family car so we don't need top-end performance tyres, but wet grip and all-weather braking performance are important.

Current contenders are the Uniroyal RainSport 5, Bridgestone RE050A, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT, and possibly the Michelin PS4 but these may be OTT given the price increase.

I've had good results with the Bridgestone and Dunlops on other cars, and my Mrs (who'll primarily be driving the Superb) has always like Rainsports. How well do these work on the Superb? Or, are there better options at this sort of quality and price range?

Thanks all :) 

Skoda Superb 2020 2.0TSI
 Generation: III B8 (3V) Facelift [2020 .. 2022]  
 Power: 217 hp | 162 kW | 220 PS 
 Engine: 2.0L, I4, Petrol
 Options: Style
 Center Bore: 57.1 mm 
 PCD: 5x112 
 Wheel Fasteners: Lug bolts 
 Wheel Tightening Torque: unknown
 Thread Size: M14 x 1.5 
 Trim Production: [2020 .. 2021]
Tire 
Rim 
Vehicle's recommended cold tire inflation pressure. It is measured in bars or PSI (pounds per square inch).

Recommended for winter215/55R17 94V 6.5Jx17 ET41 2.3 / 2.1

215/55R17 94V 7Jx17 ET40 2.3 / 2.1

235/45R18 94W 8Jx18 ET44 2.4 / 2.2

235/50R17 96W 7.5Jx17 ET40 2.3 / 2.1

235/40R19 96W 8Jx19 ET44 2.4 / 2.2

235/35ZR20 92Y 8Jx20 ET40 2.6 / 2.4

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/skoda/superb/2020/

Uniroyal Rainsport 5 215/55R17 94Y £84.55

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Uniroyal/RainSport-5/215-55-R17-94Y/R-400535

Uniroyal Rainsport 5 235/45R18 98Y XL £102.40

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Uniroyal/RainSport-5/235-45-R18-98Y-XL/R-400548

Uniroyal Rainsport 5 235/40R19 96Y XL £127.80

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/tyre/Uniroyal/RainSport-5/235-40-R19-96Y-XL/R-402382

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

If you want it as a family car, not high performance, but safe in wet, then you probably should be looking at all-season tyres rather than summer tyres.

Since all seasons were introduced, summer tyres seem to have become optimised for warmer temperatures and consequently are often poor in rain below about +9 or +10c (it’s nearer +4c in dry).   Some become very poor as temperature nears freezing point (and frosty mornings are not uncommon in winter even near South coast)

Summer spec tyres struggle in colder months (and UK rain is not warm and tropical, it is fairly cold).  So be wary of results and reviews obtained in warmer months.   Of course if you catch a sleety or snow shower you want something that will get you home and not leave you stranded at first incline, so another reason to go all-season.

If you do want to stay summer tyres, rainsports are good.  Bridgestone now make T007 Turanza (Potenza are sporty so not what you have asked for).  The Dunlop Sport are again performance/sporty (clue is in name) rather than a touring tyre

235/40 R19 is not a cheap tyre size

But if you do want all season, then look at Continental all season contact, Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Hankook kinergy 4S2, Bridgestone weather control A005 evo.  There are also couple of new ones now available (no reviews yet) Michelin cross climate 2 or Pirelli all season SF2.   

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

It's a great point, we had CrossClimates on a previous car so I should really add them to the list. It's a significant cost increase though, so if something like the Uniroyal worked well on the Superb and is £50+ a wheel cheaper, it stops the decision being a no-brainer. On the previous car we had them on, they were more or less than same price as all other options, but there's something about this tyre size that has made the range of prices much wider.

Another option is dedicated summers and then winters.

Depends on where you live really and what ave temps you think you will experience, significant journeys in summer or winter or vice versa etc.

Summers - I still have bridgestone OEM fits on.

Winters - bridgestone blizzaks and dedicated with 18 borbet alloys

It’s a good shout, but as we only have a single set of wheels I’d be more in favour of all-seasons, especially as truly horrendous weather in the South of England isn’t common.

What brand would your dealer fit if you ask for all season tyres, instead of their new budget summer tyres.

But it might be worth a conversation along the lines of if you order them, get them sent to the garage, they fit them instead of the summer budget crap, they can keep their new budget tyres for say a £50-60 per tyre reduction in price to use on another car.

If they agree saves you the hassle of disposing of them, as you intend to change them anyway, and might save some money.   Don’t know if they will agree, but as old saying goes, if you don’t ask, will never get.

We asked, we didn't get :) 

We picked the car up yesterday and it was a fairly simple transaction, and we took it there and then. The budget tyres on it are rated as being bang-average in the dry and crap in the wet, so we have a window of opportunity to find the right tyres before the weather turns.

They're Invovic El601's... the first time I ever heard of the brand was seeing them on this car. All pressures OK and TPMS is fine. They're just a bit sh**.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got mine with the oem tyres fitted. As soon as they are done... which may take a time, its back to the uniroyal rainsports for me. IMHO a fantastic set of tyres, which really brought my old mk3 vrs to life. Can't fault those tyres.

• Like 1

Rob, I was skeptical at first of the uniroyals, but my local tyre supplier reckoned I should try them..  I only needed rears at the time. With those fitted and contis on the front.. the grip at the rear kept pushing the fronts into corners. That was enough to demonstrate to me how good they were.

• Like 1