Replacing the Scala grill surround - any advice/tips?

airhaddock

Hi, has anyone got any advice or tips for swapping the grill surround?  I had a look and the trim on the slam panel comes off easy enough allowing access to the top clips.  I just wondered if anyone had done it already... 

Many thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I had mine done at a bodyshop at the the same time as some other work, was an hours labour, but everything was kept perfectly intact and I still have the chrome grille stored in perfect condition.  I have seen a few people do the swap themselves but break the clips which is not ideal if you ever wish to return it to stock.

• 4 weeks later...

Late to answer, but I did change mine to the Monte Carlo black last year. If you are getting some work done on your car it's the easiest to just add this and have someone experience do it.

I did mine by using breaking the tabs that hold it in place. Although I wanted to keep the chrome one for myself and not selling it, I ended up snapping it in a few pieces so it unfortunately went to trash. I did no damage to the grill or the bumper and the new one went on without issues but I don't think I would do it again this way.

The only other option would have been to take the front bumper down, but under not circumstance do it yourself if you have the front assist radar, or you don't know what you are doing. If you unplug the radar module you will have to have it re-calibrated and at least where I am that would have ended up costing about the same as just the Grill surround (150 euros) (source - my neighbor wanted to change the grill on his Octavia vRS and ended up unplugging the module. Had to go to an authorized skoda dealer to have ti re-calibrated). Still if I am not wrong, if you take the front bumper down you still need to have the radar re-calibrated if you want to go by the book.

Thanks for the replies. I had a go and came to the conclusion that the bumper needs to come off. If the bumper mounting is similar to the octavia it doesn't look like too bad a job. I'm not fussed about saving the old surround but I don't want to risk damaging any of the clips on the grill. 

Thanks for the info about the radar, I will make sure to disconnect the battery first if I need to unplug it (I'm not sure if it's mounted to the bumper itself.). 

Hopefully giving this a go on Monday if the weather is OK, I will report how I get on!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, airhaddock said:

So I managed it! Ended up removing the bumper fixings and pulling it out enough to get to the clips. Not sure I'd have bought the surround if I knew what a pain it would be to fit! 

Well done.  I have done a fair few mods myself but that was out of my comfort zone, so bravo for having the courage to tackle and accomplish it.  Stick some pics up when you can as it looks so much better with the black.

Looks so nice. Good job!

I would love to change it but unfortunately in the country where I live no one selling grill like that. It would cost me more like 200euro to buy it.

My only option is to wrap it with glossy black wrap. But like  airhaddock said, I can’t find the courage to do it. The problem is that I would like to be one peace of wrap and I think it would be hard to manage it.

Edited by Wiegott

On 17/10/2021 at 10:14, Wiegott said:

Looks so nice. Good job!

I would love to change it but unfortunately in the country where I live no one selling grill like that. It would cost me more like 200euro to buy it.

My only option is to wrap it with glossy black wrap. But like  airhaddock said, I can’t find the courage to do it. The problem is that I would like to be one peace of wrap and I think it would be hard to manage it.

Thanks.  Can you buy one from the Czech Republic and get it posted?  I seem to remember seeing them on ebay.  Will Skoda parts ship to you (https://www.skoda-parts.com)?

You might be able to wrap it in place with a bit of heat and a fine scalpel...

On 15/10/2021 at 20:07, Steve8O said:

Well done.  I have done a fair few mods myself but that was out of my comfort zone, so bravo for having the courage to tackle and accomplish it.  Stick some pics up when you can as it looks so much better with the black.

Thanks, I did look through an old post of yours showing what you'ld done to your scala - looks good.  Unfortunately no nice big wheels for me as there are always have so many pot holes in the winter around us!  

On 17/10/2021 at 10:14, Wiegott said:

Looks so nice. Good job!

Try Kopacek.com (formerly super-skoda.com) 

They are a big supplier of Skoda parts from Czech Republic.  They ship to pretty much the whole world and most of the EU is free postage.

Wait for Black Friday (26th Nov) as they often have 10percent off site wide.  

I used them a lot for original parts before the UK left the EU. 

18 minutes ago, airhaddock said:

Thanks, I did look through an old post of yours showing what you'ld done to your scala - looks good.  Unfortunately no nice big wheels for me as there are always have so many pot holes in the winter around us!  

Yes, I followed a camper the other day with a great bumper sticker

'Not Drunk, Avoiding Potholes'

• 2 weeks later...

having just changed the grille surround to the black ( my Scala is Race Blue)and reading other comments i would say  its easier if you remove the bumper from the car. i decided that i would not be changing it back to chrome so sacrificed the old grill by carefully cutting the mounting tangs off and saving damage to the black clip things on the bumper. the hardest part was the bumper/wing mounting screw with the arch liners in place. i had no issues with just unplugging the radar and plugging back in

• Like 2