Chrome trim peeling on drivers side rear fixed window

love2drive

Advice or suggestions please on my April 2018 Karoq SEL.

The "chrome" trim  around the fixed glass has come adrift at the top adjacent to the back seat door, the glass has a black (rubber?) strip still attached but the "chrome" finish has lifted off, tried to push back on and it stays put for a few seconds before lifting off, opening the rear door catches it everytime.

Spoke to Skoda dealer and was told trim is bonded to the glass, and somewhere in the £2 hundreds to replace the glass.

Any suggestions as to whether superglue etc. has worked

Thanks

Best suggestion is that the 'Skoda Dealer' or their employee gets on with taking the photos and passing onto Skoda UK and gets the go ahead for them to spend that much fixing the issue.

It will cost them lots less than if you were paying for the job which you need not, and certainly mot need to DIY it.

• Love it! 1

Didn't someone smash that window trying to break in to your car and if so wouldn't the glass replacement (and the correct fitting of all of the glass trim and rubbers) be claimable on your car insurance glass breakage cover (for between £25 and £50 - depending upon your policy) :wink:

Edited by smipx
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

Best suggestion is that the 'Skoda Dealer' or their employee gets on with taking the photos and passing onto Skoda UK and gets the go ahead for them to spend that much fixing the issue.

It will cost them lots less than if you were paying for the job which you need not, and certainly mot need to DIY it.

Thanks, did think it a bit rough so will try Skoda UK and another dealer to hopefully get a resolution.

Yes it is out of guarantee but if you don;t ask the answer is always no....

Noticed when washing the car, no damage or scrapes, car had been sitting in the sun the last few days but was cool when washing., could be the heat melted the glue?

pictures attached

IMG_20210828_150401.thumb.jpg.eae4b7f455688565a91ecbde149e7553.jpgThanks for suggestions will give them a go if no joy with Skoda

IMG_20210828_151023.jpg

51 minutes ago, love2drive said:

Yes it is out of guarantee but if you don;t ask the answer is always no....

Noticed when washing the car, no damage or scrapes, car had been sitting in the sun the last few days but was cool when washing., could be the heat melted the glue?

pictures attached

IMG_20210828_150401.thumb.jpg.eae4b7f455688565a91ecbde149e7553.jpgThanks for suggestions will give them a go if no joy with Skoda

IMG_20210828_151023.jpg

Ah yes makes more sense now. I intially thoigh the chrome coating was peeling off.

Body shops use a glue (Sikaflex or Tigerseal) to bond stuff like this. May be worth a bit of research on it? 

Edited by Tim1631

I agree try your local bodyshop or windscreen fitters (eg Autoglass) they use adhesive for bonding screens in all the time, also a replacement window if fitted would not necessarily come with the trim attached.

Hi, I had exactly the same problem with the trim coming away in the same place. It's just held in place with 3M 8mm double sided tape. I simply removed the part of the tape that wasn't sticking to the trim and replaced it with some 3M tape I had. It has stuck fine and feels quite firm.

Only took about 5 minutes to do but be careful as the edges of the trim are quite sharp as I found out.

• 3 weeks later...

And another one, just found exactly the same thing on both sides of the car on the rear quarter light window surrounds. I used Gorilla Glue clear which doesn’t foam up, then a light spray of water to activate the glue. Followed this by running a length of masking tape along the chrome trim and inside the rear door frame onto the roof lining. By closing the door on the tape it pulls the glued trim tight against the frame. Removed the tape after a few hours, so far so good.

Spoke to Skoda customer relations, got a case number and was told to visit local dealer.

Gave service dept the case number and a Technician came out, checked the trim wasn't creased and said "believe Skoda tell us to bond it" he  bonded it back on with a 2 part adhesive, taped up - left tap[e on overnight and 100% stuck and no cost.

Thanks to eveyone for suggestions and ideas as this might help others if they have same issue, also speak with customer services and they might say yes !