Increasing ride height on occy mk 3

Hey all, moving somewhere with a bumpy lane up to the house not bad enough to warrant swaping my Octavia mk3 estate for a scout or 4x4 but could do with a bit more clearance for the more pot holey situations that will come in winter. 

I had a good search through the forum, lots of posts about lowering occys but none that I could find about using a coil over kit to gain some more clearance.

Has anybody had experience doing this? Any advice gratefully recieved. Cheers

The front springs on a 2014 Octavia MK3 Estate will vary depending on what engine and gearbox is fitted.

For example, a 2.0TDI with DSG will have stiffer front springs than a 1.4TSI with manual gearbox as the weight of the former is quite a bit heavier than the weight of the latter.

Edited by Carlston

2 hours ago, yoccybecause said:

about using a coil over kit to gain some more clearance.

You won't gain any height with coilovers as they usually have a range of something like 20-40mm drop. I.E minimum 20mm drop if fitted.

Standard Octy has pretty high ride height and I would be surprised if you have an issue. I have a standard height machine for that reason and I have not found I needed more. VRS or lowered car might have caused me issue but standard car has been fine.

When new S/SE and SEL could be ordered with the "Rough road package" which raised the car by 15mm (same as the Scout) and added plastic underfloor protection.

Wouldn't be too difficult or costly to get the springs for the RR package, and once up on a ramp the protection would not be hard to fit either. That would be the correct way to do it.

Eibach also do a "Blue Light Kit" for service vehicles, but have doubts of it's general availability. Guess it is not far from the RR package

My work takes me down various "access roads" to sites that are not owned by the company I work for.

These "roads" are often poorly maintained (can be farmers tracks) and also have large (13ton) sewage sludge tankers hauling 4000 gallons of sludge out of sites regularly that dig tractor like groves either side. 

My standard sel Dsg has yet to be grounded by anyone them to date even when having to steer slowly left and right out of deep pot holes. Just have to drive slowly. 

Think you'll probably be ok to be honest. 

5 hours ago, yoccybecause said:

Hey thanks for the response it's a Octavia Se 2.0 Tdi Cr standard manual gearbox

The standard ride height rear springs on the Octavia MK3 2.0TDI estate will be OEM part number 5Q0511121AF or something similar.

You could change these for OEM part number 5Q0511121BF such as Eibach R10793

R10793 EIBACH Rear Axle Length: 357mm, Length: 357mm Coil Spring R10793 cheap

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/eibach/16620562

5Q0511121BF have an uncompressed length about 15mm longer than 5Q0511121AF and the wire thickness is 0.5mm more.

(1) 5Q0511121AF coil spring
Model data: PR-1JA+0YF

(1) 5Q0511121BF coil spring
Model data: PR-UC7+0YF

Notice that both 5Q0511121AF and 5Q0511121BF are weight range 6 springs.

0YF means weight range 6

1JA means standard ride height springs

UC7 means increased ride height springs

VW Codes Decoder

http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx

rear axle | Skoda Octavia 2016, suspension gas shock absorber PR-0N1

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/OCT/year/2016/drive_standart/753/hg_ug/511/subcategory/511000/part_id/2562804/lang/e

front axle, steering | Skoda Octavia 2016, coil spring

A similar thing can be done on the front, by replacing the standard 5Q0411105GK or similar with either 5Q0411105HR or 5Q0411105HR

Sachs 5Q0411105HR

Sachs 5Q0411105HS

The increased length and stiffness of the front and rear springs should result in an increased ride height of about 25mm.

If you need even more ride height, changing 195/65R15 or 205/55R16 tyres to 205/70R15 or 215/60R16 should gain a further 15mm. The 205/70R15 size is particularly useful if All-Terrain tyres (good in mud) are needed, such as Bridgestone A/T.

Edited by Carlston

Thanks all for the advice, I'm hoping Paulski is right and I can just drive carefully and learn how to dodge / fix the worst pot holes!

Although failing that the RRP seems like the best bet, thanks again for the help I'll let you know how I get on! Cheers all