Kamiq Service Intervals

Bill65

• 3 months later...

I’ve read this thread with interest as I have just received a letter from my local dealer saying I’m due my first year’s service. I must be on long life service as the car is telling me my oil change and service inspection is due in 12700 miles or 371 days. The car has done just over 6k miles in nearly a year. Now I know that long life service is supposed to be for drivers who do long journeys and avoid numerous cold starts, stop/start driving, high revs, harsh braking etc. I’m not quite in that bracket but I don’t do much city driving and I have a relaxed driving style. 

The Skoda blurb says that there are sensors in the engine/drive train which monitor oil quality, driving style and so on, so why am I being asked to take the car in a year early?  Is it that Skoda want to maximise their service department profits? Is that stuff about engine sensors just rubbish?

@marineboylikely because your car slipped through their scheme of changing cars from Variable / Flexible servicing so first @ 24 months / 18,000-20,000 miles to Fixed Annual Servicing @ 371 days / 9,400 miles without asking the person buying the car.

So if you want a Fixed Service Interval have that, but your car will be as it left the factory without greedy barstewards having been at their cappers.

On 17/06/2023 at 13:13, toot said:

So if you want a Fixed Service Interval have that, but your car will be as it left the factory without greedy barstewards having been at their cappers.

Labelling them as greedy barstewards for simply doing their job?  If the dealer contacts the customer, that's wrong. If they don't contact the customer, that's wrong too. Give them a break.

At 6000 miles per year, the recommended service interval  is every 12months so by sending you a reminder, the service dept is only doing it's job. All they're really saying is give us rather than someone else your business. They have no idea how many miles your car has done so they're only guessing it needs serviced at 12mth. Bottom line - it's nothing more than a bog std circular letter.

Of course there's no requirement to have it serviced at 12mth ( assuming you own the car? ) so continuing with long-life isn't a problem. Either ignore the letter or tell them you're on long-life.

The stuff about sensors etc is all true. That's how BMW and Mercedes servcing operates.

Underusing the car ( if you can call it that at 6000 miles per year ) has more an effect on things like brakes etc where say corrossion may start to be a factor therefore annual servicing could be a better option for lower mileage cars, but again that's a decsion entirely up to the owner.

• Groan 1

https://procarmanuals.com/pdf-online-vag-ssp-44-extended-maintenance-interval-skoda-octavia/

Take a read of this old PDF, information should still be relevant to today.

Pay attention to Page 20, it says that if the car is driven economically and over long distances, then you will probably get the maximum distance.

Short journeys and drive like a tool, and you will shorten it down to what is effectively a 1 year fixed.

So the car itself will calculate the wear on the oil, and adjust the distance left.

@marineboy with 12,700 miles you are clearly driving the car just fine, so you can either change it to a fixed service, or drive until it reaches 0 on either time/distance.

My own car is getting the oil changed, and it now has Quantum Long Life being put in, I don't drive much at all, but it will be put on a LL regime, and I will let it calculate when it's next due.

Yes, some will argue that if you do low milages you must change it yearly, and they could be correct, there are two sides to this coin, and decision has to be yours.

Some really helpful comments there guys, thanks to you all. I did think that if Skoda advertise their hi tech engine monitoring systems then there must be some merit for them. I actually did a live chat with Skoda UK yesterday asking whether I could stick with long life service intervals and they said fine. So that saves me forking out for a service for another 12 months. 

• Like 1

On 19/06/2023 at 17:31, toot said:

Simply doing the job is ask the buyer if they want their vehicle changed from Variable Servicing to Fixed for their usage or because of a Service Plan.

Not just doing it because it suits them.

Again they are not doing it ''because it suits them' they're doing it because that's what's recommended.

I've bought three Golfs, one Audi, one SEAT and this is our third Skoda and not once has anyone asked me what service regime would I like. It doesn't happen.

I've come across one dealer who's rule of thumb was private owner = annual servicing, company car = LL.  That's not an unreasonable assumption to make.

You may find the odd 3rd party quoting prices for variable servciing, but it's very rare to find Skoda dealer or any VAG dealer publishing a price for variable servicing - it's something I've always had to inqure about. The fact they don't publish variable servicing prices tells us it's not the norm to have the car on a variable regime so where you're getting 'greed' from I just don't know.

The problem for VAG is unlike other manufacturers, they give a choice on servcing. Some, like me, would say that deserves a big thumbs up because at the end of the day it's the owners decision, but the reality is you end up confusing people and there will always be someone only too willing to tell others they've made the wrong choice. The armchair experts as I label them.  

Edited by kodiaqsportline
  • Groan 1

@kodiaqsportline

Maybe go back to the OP in August 2021.   Real world, as it happens out there with others.

Just you make it up as you go along and tell us how all is good in your experiences with dealership employees / staff that know their stuff.   

Where is this recommendation to main dealers to change cars to fixed servicing.

They do with the Demonstrators.  They might with lease and fleet, and they might not when they should if a Service Plan requires Fixed Service Regimes.

The cars leave the factory on variable servicing and have for over a decade for the UK other than Citigo.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners-and-services/servicing-and-parts/service-plans/service-schedules.html

Recommended Fixed Service Regimes as VW says on the website,  use etc,

Not recommended to change at a PDI without asking the buyer.

Simple for Dealerships to put on their Registered Keeper Owners List if the car was changed to Fixed intervals and word letters and phone call alerts accordingly.

Also maybe be aware if a vehicle is a Cam belt or timing chain engine.

Or a PHEV that also require Fixed Service Oil Changes by the VW Schedule.

Edited by toot

11 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

Again they are not doing it ''because it suits them' they're doing it because that's what's recommended.

I've bought three Golfs, one Audi, one SEAT and this is our third Skoda and not once has anyone asked me what service regime would I like. It doesn't happen.

I've come across one dealer who's rule of thumb was private owner = annual servicing, company car = LL.  That's not an unreasonable assumption to make.

You may find the odd 3rd party quoting prices for variable servciing, but it's very rare to find Skoda dealer or any VAG dealer publishing a price for variable servicing - it's something I've always had to inqure about. The fact they don't publish variable servicing prices tells us it's not the norm to have the car on a variable regime so where you're getting 'greed' from I just don't know.

The problem for VAG is unlike other manufacturers, they give a choice on servcing. Some, like me, would say that deserves a big thumbs up but the reality is you end up confusing people and there will always be someone who's glass is half empty and only too willing to tell others they've made the wrong choice. The armchair experts as I label them.  

You make a good point in the last paragraph. Ford have the right idea, service schedule on all cars 12500 miles or 1 year whichever comes first. 

Fixed Servicing regime is 372 days, 9,400 miles, or has been with Skoda / SEAT, or 9,600, or maybe with VW / Audi 9,300.

S-Tronic service maybe 38,000 miles & Skoda, VW, SEAT DSG,s 40,000 miles.  (DQ381 80,000) 

People have asked on this forum for years.

Why is my car showing inspection service in so many days and oil service a year away?

That is because that is how many VW Group cars arrive in the UK.

Many ask why there car was serviced how ever many miles ago and is telling them a service is already being alerted.

Again because what happens happens. 

There was the time when it was Minor then Interim service and then Major time about.

Or staying on Major / Major and do an annual oil change.

Servicing is more then Oil & Filter changes and look sees.  

The Issue was fixed Services charged or a first Major charged for a 20,000 miles yet no Air Filter, Fuel Filter, or Spark Plugs being changed.

That was at the 2nd Major Service.

The Body Inspection was at Major Services, each 2 years, not at 'Inspection services, Oil & filter and look see & report.

827614452_SkodaFixedPriceServicing.JPG.3dbea7606c029076ed94e2f0216199b6.jpeg.689c25a185d90e4e44889f342770023b.jpeg

20200409_151024.jpg.e233719bf5c7d866dbf2f13b3b9d1eb1.jpg

Edited by toot

3 hours ago, toot said:

20200409_151024.jpg.e233719bf5c7d866dbf2f13b3b9d1eb1.jpg

Hello Mr Toot.

I dithered for a long time about whether to post this or not, and it isn’t because it’s comprehensively off-topic.

It’s in part because some of the readership seem unable to distinguish between a benign tongue-in-cheek comment and a dagger dipped in vitriol (and also, to be honest, it’s because fronting up to a forum bigwig is pretty intimidating).

However, applying the rule of thumb that the only truly stupid question is the one you never ask, here goes.

Judging by the photo above, it would appear that you use sheets of polystyrene insulation instead of carpets in your house.

Or maybe you have giant ceiling tiles on the floor.

Is it true?

Now you could probably argue that it’s none of my business. 

The counter argument would be that the act of posting a photograph of your floor cracks open a door for anyone to lean on.

Polystyrene or white carpets?

• Haha 1

@Phutters

Assumption is where you run into the issue, the mother of all ****-ups.

head for thinking, feet for dancing, and for me with only a left leg that could be an artificial foot to the right.

I would just say that you are very observant.  Also you need to make up your own mind what there is below the persons feet.

That would be the person that posted that picture of a Service Certificate in another thread on Service History.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/479953-serving-question

Edited by toot