Can I turn the nags off?

Vocnorth

Gear change nag over rides the tacho. Very annoying.

I'd also like to switch off the lane control permanently, can that be done? Getting tired of the car veering around when it senses something that's not there or is an old line etc. I like to drive fast, anything having a tug at the wheel randomly is entirely unwelcome. 

Thanks all.

11 hours ago, Vocnorth said:

I'd also like the car to stop turning my music down if I select reverse. 

My mk3 does that but you can alter the volume of the sensors in settings. Whether that doesn’t affect the music I don’t know! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vocnorth said:

I'd also like to switch off the lane control permanently, can that be done? 

Not via the menus. Safety regs, same as why they all default to Normal driving mode.

I believe it is so anyone else getting in and driving the vehicle after you is not met with any surprises, i.e. wanting the car to use lane control and finding out (to their cost!) that someone else has turned it off.

• Like 2

Great. So I just get the nasty surprise when the car decides to slam on mid bend because I've forgotten to switch off the "please kill me" button :)

I would have thought the point of having to log in to my own car is that it remembers what I want from it. Perfectly pointless use of tech otherwise. 

• Groan 1

On 06/09/2021 at 15:42, Gax said:

Not via the menus. Safety regs, same as why they all default to Normal driving mode.

Any justification under safety regs is utter horsecrap. If it were truly to do with safety regulations it would be illegal for manufacturers to have it as an optional extra.

On most car makes lane control can be turned off completely, this was certainly the case on my Dad's Volvo XC60. Hopefully won''t have this "feature" on mine whenever it finally arrives!

The systems are not mandatory for manufacturers to fit as standard and will not be until next year and on new type approved cars, along with other mandatory systems.

They will still be able to be switched off when they are fitted, the thing is they will be there as Factory Settings when the vehicle is started. 

You would hope before the systems are required by EU Legislation that the manufacturers had sorted out the horlicks that some have fitted currently.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/486388-lane-assist-is-dangerous

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/487234-lane-assist-frequent-faults

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/494175-lane-assist

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/488677-how-did-cars-end-up-with-so-much-tech-fitted

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/495705-mandatory-requirement-on-new-cars-from-2022-speed-limiters

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/496539-welcome-to-isa-intelligent-speed-assist-limiter-uk-to-follow-eu-adoption-on-new-cars-great-new-safety-measure-or-big-brother

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/09/2021 at 08:17, AllanDJ said:

On most car makes lane control can be turned off completely, this was certainly the case on my Dad's Volvo XC60. Hopefully won''t have this "feature" on mine whenever it finally arrives!

My 70 plate temporary Corolla hybrid allowed me to turn lane keep assist off. Horrible car but even with it working it still wasn't as aggressive and intrusive as that on my new Octavia. No one who's passed the Institute of Advanced Motorists can drive the Skoda effectively with it switched on. As soon as I start I now instinctively make the three button presses required to disable it on every trip.

51 minutes ago, byteme said:

My 70 plate temporary Corolla hybrid allowed me to turn lane keep assist off. Horrible car but even with it working it still wasn't as aggressive and intrusive as that on my new Octavia. No one who's passed the Institute of Advanced Motorists can drive the Skoda effectively with it switched on. As soon as I start I now instinctively make the three button presses required to disable it on every trip.

In Europe, at least here in Slovenia, lane assist works quite well. But I'm still glad I was able to enable memory function for it so now I don't need to turn it off every time I start the car.  

On 29/09/2021 at 20:44, byteme said:

Which models does this annoying "feature" appear on? Currently waiting on a new lease Octavia Estate SEL, hopefully it won't have this as standard!

image.png

12 minutes ago, AllanDJ said:

Which models does this annoying "feature" appear on? Currently waiting on a new lease Octavia Estate SEL, hopefully it won't have this as standard!

image.png

Pretty sure they all have it since it's supposed to be a safety feature. 

Lane assist is quite subtle in our Octy iV. A gentle twitch when overtaking or drifting offline and an occasional 'bong' as a reminder. ACC is very effective too - today I followed a bus at 50mph on ACC and as the bus slowed it kept me at a safe distance as the speed dropped.

22 hours ago, Jim2015 said:

Lane assist is quite subtle in our Octy iV. A gentle twitch when overtaking or drifting offline and an occasional 'bong' as a reminder. ACC is very effective too - today I followed a bus at 50mph on ACC and as the bus slowed it kept me at a safe distance as the speed dropped.

I don't find it subtle at all. On motorways I will give LHD HGVs a little extra room as I pass but as the lane assist doesn't realise this intervenes. The same is true when avoiding a pot hole or piece of debris spotted well ahead that I want to pass by/over using the minimum of steering inputs. If on the other hand I'm inputting a postcode (I know I shouldn't when driving) it seems entirely ineffective at keeping the vehicle stable. On winding B roads it's even worse, one section of road I drive has a series of 90 bends and is used by all classes of HGV. It makes sense to be wide on the right hand turns and tight on the LH ones but again the car intervenes and tries ,aggresively, to pull you off course. On other roads with more open turns however it seems entirely ineffective. In short, when you use it, you never know what it's going to do if left switched on. My startup procedure now consists of.

1. Start.

2. Alter mode setting so the battery charges. (That is until fuel supply returns to normal)

3. Switch off lane keep assist.

4. Switch off brake hold as I manoeuvre off my tight drive, then switch back on once underway.

5. Select sport mode to improve regenerative braking.

As I make multiple visits to sites each day the additional steps (except brake hold) have to be selected with each start.