Dashboard illumination

Miller73

Usually the dashboard instrumentation is only illuminatied when the headlights are on. However sometimes it lights up due to a sensor detecting low light conditions when the lights are off. Anyone know the loacation of this sensor and if it can "tricked" into keeping the dash lit up all of the time?

From memory it's somewhere on the binnacle.

On mine I think the lighting gets dimmer as the ambient light decreases. The point is to prevent people driving with only the front DRLs on (mistaking them for headlights) - i.e, as it gets dark, you have to turn on the proper headlights to be able to see the speedo.

The dash illumination is weird how it works. I often travel through the Blackwall Tunnel and as I enter in daylight the dash lights up but only for  relatively short while, 10 seconds or so, then go off again. I'm sure I read somewhere on here Skoda do it on purpose to make you wish you'd added auto headlights as an option......

You can retrofit auto headlights and when you do the sensor goes in the bottom right corner of the windscreen but not sure if that is where it's factory fitted.

I think the light sensor for the instrument lights is in the face of the rev counter, below the spindle.  Either that or the same place on the fuel gauge.  It's about 10mm in diameter and difficult to see as it's the same colour as the clock face.

It can be tested in poor light conditions (i.e. instrument lights off) by shining the pencil beam of a small torch on the sensor and see if the instrument lights illuminate.

Needless to say the test should be carried out with the headlights off.

If you wish to have the instrument lights on at all times, you will need to bypass the light sensor (probably best done at the ECU).

I understand it's configured this way to discourage drivers from driving without headlamps in poor light conditions.