Excessive Consumption Oil Skoda Octavia 3 RS 2.0 TDI 184Hp, Engine Code Cup

9 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Have a search and you might be able to find another thread with a vrs owner with this engine snd high oil consumption.

I believe it was a damaged piston/piston rings.

As for that oil in your turbo pipe… there will always be a tiny amount that can get there. I’d suggest that he amount you have pulled out isn’t that abnormal.

I would get the individual cylinders compression tested before throwing money at parts.

EDIT:

found the thread 

IMG_20211001_143142.thumb.jpg.2afe00c9c94c99f7dec9d2fc632f56fe.jpgI'm guessing this isn't normal though 😭😅

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

Just a car enthusiast posting here first time , please excuse my English, as it is not my native language.

I do have the same problem with my 2016 Octavia 2.0 TDI,110kw, CRMB engine code: HIGH OIL CONSUMPTION, i own the car since July 2021, bought 2nd hand from Germany.

Initial symptoms were: regeneration every 5-10 km, very high diesel consumption, very high oil consumption, throttle response not so great but not so bad either, no errors on VCDS scan.... and i started to study...

So far i have changed the following:

- the differential pressure sensors( there are two on this car)

- the Diesel Particle Filter( the one i removed was full with ash ... some white powder)

- the turbocharger( blocked variable geometry and ash )

... the situation improved, very good throttle response, regeneration is about 350 km mixed driving, fuel consumption is 6-6,5 l/100km.... but the car is still eating a lot of oil.... about 1L oil for 600 km, other than the oil consumption, the car is starting/idling/running really nice, with no strange noises from the engine, injector compensations are between -0,2 and +0,2. With this injector compensation values, i don't believe that there is a problem by the cylinders.

I read that one of the reasons for the oil consumption problem can be the valve seals not sealing properly....but i don't want to open the engine if it is not necessary.

What i want to do next is to remove the rocker cover to visually inspect , to clean, and to change the CCV diaphragm....maybe the turbocharger is absorbing oil through the CCV, due to broken diaphragm or it is leaking oil by the seals due to clogged/dirty CCV system( too much pressure into the crankcase= restrictive turbocharger oil return line). I am also thinking to run an engine flush to remove some of the carbon deposits from the cylinder walls ( if there is any) and hopefully to obtain a better sealing by the piston rings.

I hope i can help a little with my experience and i would appreciate any other ideas.

Thank You!

Fuel consumption is normal for me, the average on the highway is 5.5 and in the city it depends, around 7.3-9.6.  Last time I completed the oil I did 960km… I don't know any other information .. I'm already used to eating oil.

Keep us informed of future repairs! 😁

32 minutes ago, MishuMk3 said:

Hello all,

Just a car enthusiast posting here first time , please excuse my English, as it is not my native language.

I do have the same problem with my 2016 Octavia 2.0 TDI,110kw, CRMB engine code: HIGH OIL CONSUMPTION, i own the car since July 2021, bought 2nd hand from Germany.

Initial symptoms were: regeneration every 5-10 km, very high diesel consumption, very high oil consumption, throttle response not so great but not so bad either, no errors on VCDS scan.... and i started to study...

So far i have changed the following:

- the differential pressure sensors( there are two on this car)

- the Diesel Particle Filter( the one i removed was full with ash ... some white powder)

- the turbocharger( blocked variable geometry and ash )

... the situation improved, very good throttle response, regeneration is about 350 km mixed driving, fuel consumption is 6-6,5 l/100km.... but the car is still eating a lot of oil.... about 1L oil for 600 km, other than the oil consumption, the car is starting/idling/running really nice, with no strange noises from the engine, injector compensations are between -0,2 and +0,2. With this injector compensation values, i don't believe that there is a problem by the cylinders.

I read that one of the reasons for the oil consumption problem can be the valve seals not sealing properly....but i don't want to open the engine if it is not necessary.

What i want to do next is to remove the rocker cover to visually inspect , to clean, and to change the CCV diaphragm....maybe the turbocharger is absorbing oil through the CCV, due to broken diaphragm or it is leaking oil by the seals due to clogged/dirty CCV system( too much pressure into the crankcase= restrictive turbocharger oil return line). I am also thinking to run an engine flush to remove some of the carbon deposits from the cylinder walls ( if there is any) and hopefully to obtain a better sealing by the piston rings.

I hope i can help a little with my experience and i would appreciate any other ideas.

Thank You!

Changing the CCV diaphragm won't help much probably. I changed mine and it was in perfect condition. If there is anything wrong with the CCV system, the whole rocker cover should be changed. 

• 1 month later...

hello

Sorry about English is not my native language.
Main reason why I didnt buy VRS…

My friend ( mechanic ) told me that almost all skoda VRS ( diesel and petrol, same VW GTD GTI not sure wich engine codes ) will soon or later start drinking lot of oil. Of course it depends on mileage…

The main reason is „small oil piston ring“ they deisgn it for low emissions…

He solve this problem mainly changing pistons and piston rings for another model. „older“ i supposed. 
Same problem have volvos 2.0d engines

I will post youtube video and you can see

• 2 weeks later...

2.0 TDI VRS Combi 184ps. 117000 miles and most of it on the motorway. Before lockdown with the congestion on the M1 into and out of London the vehicle speed rarely went near 70mph. Oil consumption was not a problem. Classed as a critical worker I still had to travel to work. No remote working for this sod. With a clear motorway and higher engine RPM the oil consumption increased. ULEZ was introduced and with a car that doesn't conform we swapped cars. The Citigo does the commute to London and when I'm off shift the missus goes to work in it. The VRS still gets used and sometimes it has an enthusiastic driver. Some enthusiastic driving a month (mainly because I leave late to get to my sport pursuits) and the oil level drops to the point of filling up. For convenience I keep oil in the boot. I reckon higher RPM = higher oil consumption and because it is VW TDI it will use oil. Just don't run out of oil.

If the oil light goes on I switch to the oil temp display and keep the RPM and speed lower to keep the oil cooler. That is until I can safely pull over at a convenient place to top it up. I have seen above 110 °C when you use the performance of the car. Not a good place for the oil to be considering that turbines run in 600 - 800 °C at over 100K RPM plus you are dealing with a high compression of 18.5:1 in the cylinders at those temps and you would think that oil will be burned. Other things that will contribute to oil consumption is cylinder glazing but that is a problem if you keep constant engine RPM for long periods at a time.