Karoq tyre size

charleybourne

I currently own a karoq 2019 and is fitted with 6Jx16 ET43 rims with tires 215/60 R16 95V as standard. I was wondering can I step up in size on the tire to fill out the arch on these rims as I am not too sure about it or even what the road handling will be like if I can change them at all. Any help would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

Don't know what effect it will have on road handling, but you will effectively increase the gear ratios. You will also change the accuracy of the speedo as, at the same road speed, you will get a speedo higher than the original. There may be issues with your insurance as well.

• Like 1

@charleybourne

Really if you are going wider for more tread on the road then the tyre wall is getting less, lower profile and you are wanting the same Tyre Circumference / Total Diameter and you are not filling the gap between tyre and arch.  

If you want a taller tyre on your 1.0TSI then you are lifting an already tall car an ickle taller and is that Simply Cleaver for the handling?

(tiny amount, the difference between Oooo & Ahaaaa, a Ba's hair of difference.)

If you are not going up farm tracks or on un-ploughed roads at time of snow would you not be better lowering your car to improve handling?

Or tune the suspension.

The Speedo over reads by about 3 mph at 70 mph anyway, and those that do increase tyre sizes often check and ensure that the actual speed shown is accurate or more accurate than from the factory.

You have to go really rather big to get the speedo under reading.

Approved Sizes / type approved does not affect the insurance as long as they are approved and the correct speed / load rating with the legal tread, 

and even winter fitments can have no affect, and the lower speed rating of winters still used in summer in the UK is a grey area that insurance do not open the can of worms on.

As to this tyre change others will be along with the scores on the doors, or it is easy enough to do a Briskoda or Google search on the many Karoq Tyre Size threads and Winter Tyre Threads and the approved sizes. There are charts and all sorts.

One of so many.   Some are about Stylee over actual practicality...

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/454979-wheel-and-tyre-question

http://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator

Edited by e-Roottoot

14 hours ago, charleybourne said:

I currently own a karoq 2019 and is fitted with 6Jx16 ET43 rims with tires 215/60 R16 95V as standard. I was wondering can I step up in size on the tire to fill out the arch on these rims as I am not too sure about it or even what the road handling will be like if I can change them at all. Any help would be appreciated. 

The Karoq has a squared off wheel arch, so you will never be able to fill the arch, unless you replace the round wheels with square wheels 🥴

16 hours ago, charleybourne said:

20 inch wheels will fit to full out the arches 

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

The Karoq has a squared off wheel arch, so you will never be able to fill the arch, unless you replace the round wheels with square wheels 🥴

Yes that will work. Square wheels. Good shout 

21 hours ago, charleybourne said:

You could try 6.5Jx16 ET33 from the VW Sharan 2010 onwards. This would move each rim out by 10mm each side, thereby increasing the front and rear track by 20mm.

Alcar 9922 6.5Jx16 ET33 5/112 57.1

ALCAR 9922

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=83057658118018160&rimCode=ALCAR9922

215/65R16 tyres could be used instead of 215/60R16 tyres. 215/65R16 is a cheaper size than 215/60R16.

As the speedo over-reads by about 5% as standard, fitting the 3.2% higher geared 215/65R16 will actually make the speedo more accurate.

Vredestein Quatrac 6 215/65R16 98H

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m139b0s8008p202133/Vredestein_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Vredestein_Quatrac_6_-_215_65_R16_98H_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Edited by Carlston

On 28/09/2021 at 23:29, charleybourne said:

Think about it, every change of tires will have effect: Grip, handling, looks, economically, legality, etc. The question is: what do you want? 

1 hour ago, fatzy said:

Think about it, every change of tires will have effect: Grip, handling, looks, economically, legality, etc. The question is: what do you want? 

Sorry, I managed to mess up my post. I wrote a much more comprehensive answer, but the forum threw me out without saving a lot of text....! It will take a long time and effort to recreate.I am a bit confused about what happened and why.