Potential new owner DSG advice

Flatjack

I am hoping to buy a 2015 TSI 7 speed DSG Yeti as a private sale, the car ticks all the boxes for me but I have come across the dreaded DSG issue, with advice from various places that the 7 speed VW group box is to be avoided.

Before I make a costly mistake is there a list of checks that would be advised before I part with my money?

Or would the view be to avoid, go with a manual or find a wet clutch version?

The car I am looking at was main dealer serviced until three years old but since then its less clear....

Does the 7 speed box need something regularly done to maintain it?

Many thanks

There is no Servicing Schedule / Recommendations or Guidelines on Servicing for DQ200 DSG's. 

There was a Service Campaign '34H5' started in 2017 on some DQ200 DSG 2013-2015, 

check if the Yeti was included in that and was it done.  If it had Main Dealers servicing it should have been done if the Owner let them and it was one that was part of the campaign.

?

What miles has the car done and how much servicing has the Main Dealers Done.

Has it had a Air Filter recently, Pollen Filter, Brake Fluid changed, Spark Plugs changed?

How are the tyres looking, the brake discs, the general condition. 

Check the Service Record and the Warranty History while it had main dealer servicing. 

Was there any Service Campaign work done like the DSG Software update since 2017 if it is one that was part of the campaign.

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

The campaign '34H5' might not show here but can be outstanding.

DSG Service here 4 years / 40.000 miles does not apply to DQ200 DSG's. 

1624336521_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.3c042b3d60ff4f7eed63333aeb416947.webp.d154c236398031a998b1fdde39041a5b.webp

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

What's the dreaded DSG issue? My Yeti is a manual but I do have a 2015 TT with a 6 speed DSG box and it's fantastic, no issues in 29k miles and makes me wish I could have a DSG on the petrol engined Yeti.

In terms of servicing there's an oil change interval on DSG and I'm led to believe that certain versions have a filter which needs to be replaced while others have a mesh that requires cleaning, and that if this is neglected it leads to a build-up of crud which prevents 4WD from engaging. A decent garage / mechanic will know this.

Whether you should avoid a DSG or not depends upon the weight you give to the comments of those who have have problems. Some 7 speed DSG gearboxes have indeed given trouble. However,  there are literally millions of them out there working perfectly... and bringing delightful driving experiences to their owners.

My 2015 1.2 TSi,  which has now covered about 45,000 miles in its six and a half years,  is running beautifully,  and I wouldn't go back to a manual at any price.  But I did have a problem with it in its first year,  when gear changes were sometimes accompanied by a chirrupy noise;  this was remedied by replacement of the clutch pack under warranty,  since which it has given perfect service.

The only way you will get one of the wet clutch versions (which have fewer reported issues) is to go diesel,  but in my view that opens a far bigger can of worms, as the diesels have their own set of issues not related to the transmission.  I have no data to back this up,  but I get the impression that I see far more issues with problems relating to diesel emission systems than I do to dry clutch DSGs.

There is a very vocal anti-DSG lobby;  but you must remember that people who are happy with their DSGs (who are the overwhelming majority of those who own them), never write in to complain,  whereas nearly everybody with a problem does write in.

• Like 2

@muppix the need of Wet Clutch DSG,s and oil changed has nothing in common with 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG,s that do not require oil changes other than when VW group did a global recall of millions of DQ200,s.  Started 2012/13 and became a European service campaign in 2014.  Synthetic oil changed for mineral oil.  Dry clutch DSG,s use 2 oils, box and MCU.  Wet clutch use the one oil in the box doing both functions.    Ps, thousands that have had to spend thousands on new clutches or MCU,s never get to social media / forums or this forum with their story.   They might well be on as Facebook page which is social media.  Sadly the issue is Dealership employees panning off owners concerns and only replacing major parts when there are now repair kits.  There are cheaper solutions and even Briskoda members that sell the kits. 

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

How would I do this @e-Roottoot

"There was a Service Campaign '34H5' started in 2017 on some DQ200 DSG 2013-2015, 

check if the Yeti was included in that and was it done.  If it had Main Dealers servicing it should have been done if the Owner let them and it was one that was part of the campaign."

Would it be in the service book or would Skoda hold this record?

By asking a Main dealership service desk person or Skoda UK customer services. Telling them you are not the owner but a prospective buyer.  Check the spare tyre well to see if there are any Serviced Campaign Stickers.    No service book.  Skoda will have Service Campaign actions on the System. They paid for them being done.       How long has the seller had the Yeti?  How many miles had it done?    34h5 is just a software update because of heat/pressure issues and if the DSG is performing well now then probably not a real concern.  Any failure would have been before now and possibly even repairs done like a replaced MCU. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

@e-Roottoot many thanks, took that advice and the supplying dealer confirms that it was covered by the 34H5 campaign, so I suspect that is good news!

So if that was done would that preclude any further gearbox concerns as long as standing servicing of other aspects of the car have been followed?

• Thanks 1

I have had three Skoda's with dry DSG boxes, 1 Octavia and 2 Yeti's. Never had any problems and have been pleased with all 3 cars. Presently have a 2017 DSG Yeti and it has performed perfectly. I would say that the DSG's improved with each subsequent model, not in reliability (never had problem) but in smoothness and being in right gear at the right time. 2015 box should be fine but take it for a run and see how you like it.

• Like 1

Hi Flatjack

Beyond the sensible background checks you are doing, I guess it all comes down to risk.  By that I mean that there is a very small risk of a quite large bill if anything goes wrong with the DSG.  If you are risk averse, then an extended warranty would seem a good idea.  The alternative is to put the same amount of money each year into a nominated kitty.  After 5 years there will be a good chance that the money's still there for you.

Sorry but the DQ200 can always be at the risk of the Clutch Packs requiring replaced or a MCU / Actuator issues but if it runs well that is all you can know.

How many miles has it done, are there good matching tyres fitted, or matching on each axle?

Condition condition condition is all you can go on.

You can buy a Skoda Warranty. 

http://insurewithskoda.co.uk/extended-warranty

Read the T&C's and exclusions.

My own personal experience.

Four different 6 speed DQ250 wet clutch DSG vehicles covering over 300k miles and not a single issue.

Our 7 speed DQ200 dry clutch history isn't as good.

2010 Golf 1.6TDi 20k miles no issue

2011 Fabia 1.2TSi, Clutch pack and flywheel replaced at 11k miles due to judder.

2014 Octavia 1.6TDi, Clutch slip in all gears and error messages. Replacement Clutch packs, flywheel, mechatronic, 2x new gear levers at 36k miles. (£5500).

2016 Yeti 1.2TSi, Clutch Slip and judder 2nd, 4th, 6th. New Clutch pack at less than 20k miles.

2016 Yeti 1.2TSi, Clutch Slip, near end of lease so returned slipping,

2017 Fabia 1.0TSi so far so good at 15k miles.

18 hours ago, logiclee said:

My own personal experience.

Four different 6 speed DQ250 wet clutch DSG vehicles covering over 300k miles and not a single issue.

Our 7 speed DQ200 dry clutch history isn't as good.

2010 Golf 1.6TDi 20k miles no issue

2011 Fabia 1.2TSi, Clutch pack and flywheel replaced at 11k miles due to judder.

2014 Octavia 1.6TDi, Clutch slip in all gears and error messages. Replacement Clutch packs, flywheel, mechatronic, 2x new gear levers at 36k miles. (£5500).

2016 Yeti 1.2TSi, Clutch Slip and judder 2nd, 4th, 6th. New Clutch pack at less than 20k miles.

2016 Yeti 1.2TSi, Clutch Slip, near end of lease so returned slipping,

2017 Fabia 1.0TSi so far so good at 15k miles.

You have either been hugely unlucky or there is something in your driving style (or another driver) that is brutalizing the transmission. 

• Haha 1

@Expatman

Did your 2012 DQ200 DSG require '347F' or '34H5' carried out, or was it a late 2012 which got neither?

These are ones that have been failing and should have had action on them, there are owners that have paid dearly because Skoda / VW said they needed

nothing doing.

eg

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/315115-service-campaign-dq200-dsg-oil-changeecu-update-fabias-in-uk/page/9

@logiclee 

Maybe unlucky, or just able to notice when a DSG is not performing as it should do.

Plenty drive normally and might not even be aware of clutch slip and the car goes into trade and a new owner gets landed with them.

Many never get the Software Updates or the attention they need before there is a failure.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/467007-mechatronic-unit-2013-yeti-dsg

The public will never know the failure rate of ones in warranty or out of and the VW Group are not telling what percentage expire prematurely.

Not all post on social media but those that work with auto transmissions know how many enquiries come their way about DQ200's.

There is plenty work for those doing repairs or producing kits for repairs.

Edited by e-Roottoot

24 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Maybe unlucky, or just able to notice when a DSG is not performing as it should do.

Plenty drive normally and might not even be aware of clutch slip and the car goes into trade and a new owner gets landed with them.

I'd say I'm sensitive.

Other than the Octavia with error messages probably all the others would just be driven by non sensitive drivers or older second hand models.

As these were all cars under warranty there's no way I'm putting up with slip and judder.

Our 4 DQ250's and the DL501 we had in an Audi have been faultless and covered many more miles than the DQ200's we've owned. 

Our Fabia 1.0TSi will be out of warranty next year, so far it's been faultless but I'm wary of owning a DQ200 out of warranty.

Also our DQ200 vehicles are very lightly treated and cover low miles. Our wet clutch cars have a much harder life carrying more passengers and luggage and towing a 1460kg caravan.

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 1