What temperature do you usually have inside your houses, what is the thermostat at, or when does the heating go on for winter?

Ootohere

On 13/02/2023 at 22:13, toot said:

That is my gas heating turned down to not come on, and once the boiler is serviced at the end of the month it is going off until next winter.

2 hours ago, toot said:

Gas central heating turned on on Monday and thermostat at 18*oC.   

Do you consider that winter has started where you live Toot?

I was in the North of France 2 weeks ago returning here a week ago, it was certainly much cooler there but I did not need heating, here it is currently 30° each day, will be 31° for the next 2 days dropping to 12°.

I am in a caravan which has no thermal mass so when the temperature drops the inside will be the same within an hour, it also heats up massively from the sun which is a nightmare in summer (some nights I cannot come back in to sleep till 4am) but very welcomed at present.

My blown gas heating wont be going on for a long time yet and only then if I spend time sitting in the van like using the computer, all the time I am active, working and moving around I dont need heating.

Come winter proper it will be on for the limited time I am in there before and after sleeping, its off at night until the inside temp drops below 4°c, that is my threshold where its better to put up with the pain of needing to take a leak than getting up to do so, I have an electrical heater that comes on for an hour before I get up to make the mornings ablutions more tolerable.

So for me heating is not necessary unless I am sedentary, when sleeping I prefer it when temps are below 6°C, the current 12°c is optimum for my comfort.

Of course I dress with many layers of clothing so I can remove them as I heat up working and sleep in thermals when it gets really cold, it works out OK until I visit someone with central heating and/or a log fire, a neighbours wife is on dialysis and they heat to 25°c, if I go in there to help them with something its like I am hit with sudden heatstroke and I have to strip of nearly all my clothing as fast as I possibly can which raises more than a few eyebrows.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

@J.R.Just Autumn now after the Tattie Holidays. 

End of this week the filling stations in Scotland start getting Winter Diesel & Petrol delivered.

I got a cheap tariff and am in credit so decided not to leaving heating off till it gets cold like i usually do. 

If the snow falls south of the Cairngorms & i see it in the glens that is getting towards winter.

2011 i think the snow fell here at the end of October and was on the ground till Christmas and they started taking away piles of snow just as a thaw came for the New Year.

Pipes frozen for weeks then. 

January 2010 Glen Clova to Glen Doll.   Just 18 miles North.

Hopefully plenty snow this winter & Ski Season for the centres as the really good snow was during covid lockdown.

clova snow jimny jan10 025.JPG

clova snow jimny jan10 021.JPG

clova snow jimny jan10 018.JPG

clova snow jimny jan10 014.JPG

clova snow jimny jan10 003.JPG

Edited by toot
  • Like 2