Replacement of Front shocks on Mk3 1.4TSI (2017)

Hi,

Hoping that someone can help shed light, as I seem to be going around in circles. 

My dad has a 2017 Octavia SE L TSi S-A (1.4litre, 147bhp) and he has been advised by the garage that one of the front shocks has 'gone'. They said it's leaking oil and he should replace it.

The car has only done approx 29k miles! (He bought it a year old with 11k miles), but I appreciate it's London and roads aren't fab at all. Mileage aside, I'm pretty sure it'd be better to replace both the front shocks at the same time. And thinking about it further, possibly to upgrade the shocks to a pair which would have a better lifespan? I've heard mention of Bilstein B4? (£73.90 incl vat & del https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/car-parts/skoda/octavia/bilstein-b4-sport-front-shock-absorberoctavia-1z-20042013-12tsi-14-14tsi-16-16tdi-18tsi-19tdi-20fsi-20tfsi-20tdi-inc-vrs ).

It's out of my skillset due to the tools alone - I only have a basic garage set for servicing 'things' - but could someone confirm which set of shocks I should be looking at (or are Bilstein the best for London's bumpy roads/speed bumps etc)? I can't see any OEM numbers on the existing, and there always seem to be many 'options' when surfing (eg. front strut diameter 50mm or 55mm?)! He won't be off roading any time soon, but surely (for the money the garage was quoting), he should be able to get a better, more reliable set? Sorry if I've missed any critical details - please just prod for more info if needed.

Plan is - better shocks for the cruddy roads, local garage to fit. Keeping costs down for a pensioner.

Thank you in advance,

Alex

ps. On the Bilstein site, it references the Octavia as 1U2, 1U5, 1Z3, 1Z5. Not sure what model his is either?

pps. Is it prudent to change the springs when doing the shocks? Any other 'bits' I need to purchase if supplying the garage with the shocks?

Suggest you do some research on this site. Seems there is an issue around an acceptable level of oil on shocks, sometimes referred to as "mist" . MOT inspectors often list it as advisory. My MK2 had an advisory on one MOT, same inspector over the following years never mentioned it again. It has now done 165K miles still on the original "leaking" shocks. Maybe get a second opinion from another garage before spending money. 

Edited by GreenMachine1.6
spelling
  • Like 1

It looks like one of these will fit depending whether you need the 50mm diameter or the 55mm diameter.

Bilstein B4 22-230522 Front Shock Absorber (50mm)

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bilstein/7503786

Bilstein B4 22-230539 Front Shock Absorber (55mm)

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/bilstein/7620083

I would wait until it failed the MOT before changing shocks unless you can see oil leaking out of the shock absorbers.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1

Really appreciate your help guys. I should be able to get down to see Dad this week, and take the trolley Jack for a good look.

Will also look up for some imagery on 'acceptable issues', and 'fails'.

Thanks again!