Is this an A/C issue?

I have a 17 reg Fabia 1.2 estate. Great car, my third Fabia.

I usually drive with the fan on number one and selected to the windowscreen with the AC off. I notice that the air that comes up to the screen is very cold. This causes the windowscreen on the outside to form condensation in the area where the cold air hits the screen. This happens whether the climate outside is warm or cool. I drove my other 2 Fabias in the same way with the fan on number one (both had AC) and I didn't have this problem. I have to frequently use my wipers to clear the condensation. I'm wondering if the AC is still on despite the light on the switch not being on. 

Any thoughts please? Thanks

The AC compressor is driven at all times, but when not required or in your case when its chilling requests have been disabled, the compressor is still feed through a very low volume of compressed fridge gas through the system which always includes the evaporator coil in the cabin heater assembly, so if too much fridge gas was being sent through that coil, you could feel its effect via the cabin fan being run.

Can the demand for some more heat not counter this effect, I think that a few people in the past have commented on this issue but I can't remember if anyone ever got it resolved or even accepted as being a problem.

Edit:- to let you understand this a bit better, these AC compressors are variable displacement types, so the chilling demand is increased by increasing the effective pumping volume of the compressor, this improves efficiency while the low level/volume of gas being circulated stops any of the system's plastic surfaces drying out and increase gas leaks if not in use much.

All previous versions of Fabia will also have had a variable displacement AC compressor, so no change there wrt your previous Fabias.

Edited by rum4mo

Do you have Climatronic or simple air conditioning?

I have the latter in my Yeti, when the AC is switched off (I know the pump still circulates some fluid) if I select the screen defrost position rather than footwell or centre vents, the aircon switches itself on automatically and remains that way even when I restart the vehicle.

IOt took me a long time to realise what was going on, the little green LED showing the aircon working is small and not something that I scan routinely, I only have vision in one eye and keep it on the road as much as I can.

I have also noticed that when I have the airflow set to footwell and centre vents the air is much cooler at face level which I really appreciate, I would surmise that its the same for the screen unless the heat is turned up to defrost.

I NEVER turn off the aircon (and never have in any car I own). It prevents any mould or bacteria making the aircon smell. It also dehumidifies the incoming air, so helps reduce internal condensation.  Just adjust the heat control to suit the weather.

4 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Yes on all models. Lives under the glovebox in the passenger footwell.

Or even further across towards the centre line in newer cars, even easier to check/clean/change.

• Thanks 1

Just now, rum4mo said:

Or even further across towards the centre line in newer cars, even easier to check/clean/change.

I didn't know that actually. Must be easier than changing it in the Mk1 then. :D

6 hours ago, TerFar said:

I NEVER turn off the aircon (and never have in any car I own). It prevents any mould or bacteria making the aircon smell. It also dehumidifies the incoming air, so helps reduce internal condensation.  Just adjust the heat control to suit the weather.

I know it is not relevant in this case, but it is the chiller section that causes the build up of mould/bacteria as the collected moisture "ages" in that damp space - all the rest is okay though.

1 minute ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

I didn't know that actually. Must be easier than changing it in the Mk1 then. :D

It must be progress, I'm sure that it has been turned thro 90 degrees as well, short memory so forgotten, same sliding clips though but now no plastic frame to transfer across to the new filter.

• Like 1

Just now, rum4mo said:

I'm sure that it has been turned thro 90 degrees as well, short memory so forgotten

Mine sits longitudinally, sides facing front to back.

1 minute ago, rum4mo said:

same sliding clips though but now no plastic frame to transfer across to the new filter.

I found the plastic things a wee touch awkward, but I was hanging upside down in the rain.

1 minute ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Mine sits longitudinally, sides facing front to back.

I found the plastic things a wee touch awkward, but I was hanging upside down in the rain.

You missed out "getting the crap falling out into my eyes", even as a bonus finding a small stone or 2 digging into your back - horrible!

Laser Tools market a sort of stand/platform that you place one end over the car's sill and the other end is supported by a folding leg - to make this sort of job easier, I've never bought one, they probably cost quite a bit, but where is the fun if all the car jobs are easy?

You missed out "getting the crap falling out into my eyes", even as a bonus finding a small stone or 2 digging into your back - horrible!

Glasses. They keep most of it out.

My driveway is mostly stones and the first time I was in agony.

but where is the fun if all the car jobs are easy?

Exactly, where else would I get my pain and suffering fix from? :D

My wife tends to buy a carpet "runner" just cheaper more robust stuff than the fitted carpets, to protect "hard wear" points, recently when she has asked me to put old ones in the bin, I've put them in the garage, perfect for laying on in the garage or the stony driveway - I'd understand why it has taken me many many years to think about using that sort of thing!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Yes on all models. Lives under the glovebox in the passenger footwell.

So - I think first things first - change out the filter and then use some Air Conditioning cleaner - I occasionally use AutoGlym Air Con cleaner - https://www.autoglym.com/air-con-sanitiser

• Like 1

I have got round to thinking, that if or when using these sanitiser "bombs" it makes more sense to first remove the old filter, and fit the closure cover, then use the sanitiser and only then fit the new filter.  My logic being, a lot of the sanitiser fluid, held in suspension in the cabin air, will get stripped out of the air being re-circulated round the heater/cooler air box.