Clock not changing

1 hour ago, Yogi-Bear said:

On both my Kodiaqs (1xMIB2, 1xMIB3), I've had to go into the date/time settings and tick/untick the 'DST' box as appropriate, even with the clock set to GPS...

Correct.  The GPS does work, all you need to do is tick/untick the box!

The gps signal will be a reference time, not the time we think we have.  The gps signal won’t know whether humans have decided to change to summertime.   If you set “gps automatic”, the clock will remain precise, but you’ll need to manually tell it (by ticking and unticking the box) whether we’ve put the clocks forward or back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The GPS signal will almost certainly be sending UTC time to the car. The timezone setting then translates that to the time displayed in the car. Everything else that I own that has those two pieces of information also knows when to change the displayed time to take into account DST.

The car really should also have the same capability. It’s a bit backwards that it doesn’t, and whilst it’s only a twice-yearly 10 second task, it’s still stupid that any manual intervention is required at all.

39 minutes ago, Yogi-Bear said:

Everything else that I own that has those two pieces of information also knows when to change the displayed time to take into account DST.

But do those things normally travel?  I’m guessing that they don’t want to make too many different versions of the system, and yet sell the cars in many different countries.   You’d be asking a lot of a satnav/info system to get it right if, for example you were travelling from Eastern Chile (which does use summertime) over the border into Bolivia, Paraguay or Argentina (which don’t).  Similarly if, in Australia, popping from somewhere on the northern edge of New  South Wales (which uses summertime), just down the road into Queensland (which doesn’t).  It’s quite messy in the middle east, too.

5 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

But do those things normally travel?

Yes. As an example, let's consider everyone's phones... they self-adjust depending on where they are.

The car has an accurate time signal, it also has a timezone, and it knows where it is. It should be able to work it out from there. The downside, as you point out, is exactly which timezone rules to follow as the car does not have a complete list of all timezones (if memory serves me correctly, it is a simple choice of offset from UTC rather than true timezones). However, as I said, the car knows where it is, so it could - in theory - work it out.

It really shouldn't be all that difficult. But I would much rather they solved other niggles and issues with the system first, if I'm honest.

With phones, I think you’re picking up the time from the nearby antenna of the cell you’re in - a few miles at most.  And the people running the antenna know which country it’s in, and whether we’re in summertime.
With gps, you’re picking up signals from multiple satellites, each 22,000 miles up, some of them directly above countries quite far from you, and those satellites have no way of “knowing” who or where is receiving their time signal.  The conversion of known place to the time that that place should currently have would need to be programmed into the car itself, or rely on internet correspondence, with the car regularly reporting to a convertor its exact location.  Possible, but a bit expensive, compared with asking us to click a box, twice a year?

Like I already explained in a post a year ago, Skoda is fiddleing with the systems all the time.

For example:

2017 Superb 3 (and probably Kodiaq) adjustes the time itself when travelling accross the time zones. Even adjustes itself the headlights to RHD when travelling to UK.

2019 Kodiaq (and probably Superb too) does not do anything like that. All manual adjustments. Only clock gets right UTC signal from satellite. But no summertime, no automatic clock adjustment when travelling to another timezone.

Many people when they travel want to remain on their home time zone, for the French its so they don't upset their highly refined stomachs by eating even one minute past 12.30 CET :D

It's not relevant in the central EU countries which keep the same time zones but if you were to pop over the border for the afternoon to another time zone you will already have planned to get to the destination during their opening hours and when returning you would want to see your home time zone to know what time you would get back.

49 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

With phones, I think you’re picking up the time from the nearby antenna of the cell you’re in - a few miles at most.  And the people running the antenna know which country it’s in, and whether we’re in summertime.

I'm sorry, but that's wrong. Your phone will get UTC sent to it and will work out the time based on the time zone you select. It also knows about when to switch to DST and when to switch back based on the time zone you select. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't get messages like this on my phone when time zone rules change (more often than you'd think). The 'set automatically' option here not only gets the time (from cell or GPS, could be either, could be both), but it also sets the time zone based on location (GPS).

IMG_0115.thumb.jpeg.37d0aa79f4b4aa9f936fadb245eb1dc1.jpeg

On 01/11/2021 at 22:25, BoxerBoy said:

We get this thread twice a year in various places. Story remains the same.

I only asked as I have had the car since before the clocks changed last october, and I have not had to manually change the clock until now.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, xspartx said:

Slightly off  topic, but does anyone know if it's possible for the Admunsen to be set to 24 hour mode?

I can't believe there isn't an option for it but can't see it anywhere.

There is an option, but it is hidden.  You have to go back into the "Configuration Wizard" and select 24 hour from there.

Why on earth they did this when it used to be very simple and under the "Time" settings is, frankly, ridiculous.