Brake Fluid - DIY - Questions

daveb99

I have a Citigo SE that is due a brake fluid change.   As I have a Sealey VS820 pressure bleeder tool and enough common sense and experience, I'm planning to do it myself.

Is there anything I need to be aware of or can I just hook it up to the fluid reservoir and get the job done, starting with the furthest caliper first?   What about the clutch fluid, guess I need to find the slave cylinder to do that also?

Any tips would be much appreciated.    I presume standard Dot4 fluid (I normally use Comma) will do the job nicely ?

Not done on a Citigo, but your approach sounds fine to me.

Bleeding order is pretty much irrelevant I think if you have a pressure bleeder.

Not sure I'd bother with the clutch bleeding 'cos the slave cylinder is in a fairly cool location compared to the brakes so I wouldn't expect much local degradation; but if you want to, just follow the pipework from brake master cylinder to clutch master and then on to the slave.  

Any DOT4 will do fine, yes.

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced the brake fluid a while back. Approx. 50k miles on a Feb 16 (manufactured) Citigo Colours.

Skoda recommend bleeding in the following order:-

O/S/R, N/S/R, O/S/F and finally N/S/F.  They also suggest pressurising the system at 2 bar (~30psi) minimum to counter the ABS pump. Engine and ignition off.

All worked fine for me.  I would suggest checking the water content of the new fluid, and at regular intervals to determine whether the fluid does indeed need changing at the figures quoted.

I should have checked the old fluid as it was removed but didn't have a gauge.

Good luck.

Forgot to add that the brake fluid service schedule is to replace a 36 months and every 24 months thereafter - irrespective of mileage. 

Fluid specification is:-   VW 501.14

Edited by Snaefell