One loud "CLUNK" noise on acceleration

Hey,

So first off this is my first time posting here and i have had a look through the forum but i was unable to locate anything like what im experiencing.  So im wondering if some of the techs or knowledgeable lot can shed any light on what i have wrong.

I have a 2015 (65 reg) Skoda Octavia VRS Scout, recently it has developed a loud "clunk" noise under moderate to heavy acceleration, but it doesn't happen all the time.  I've noticed though that if you break in a moderate to heavy way or sitting at lights/in traffic with the brake pressed hard(ish) and then accelerate away in a moderate to heavy way then it seems to have one loud clunk from the drivers front wheel.

I am a timed served mechanic and i have inspected the suspension, drive train, wheel bearings etc but i was unable to see any bushes or joints that were worn and there was no play in the wheel bearing (the vehicle was lifted off the ground at the time of inspection so dont know if that counteracted the issue i have), so i was wondering if anyone on here has had experienced this sort of thing? As said, its not like a constant suspension knocking noise if something was worn, its just ONE loud "clunk" noise when you accelerate, but it doesn't happen all the time, if you accelerate slow or gently then it doesn't do it and its as if the car is perfectly fine.

So could anyone help me with this issue? The vehicle for its age is mint, is just starting to hit the 30,000 mile mark and has been looked after regardless of price.

Thanks in advance.

Ross.

be careful with this one had a clunk on my 14 reg garage couldn't find anything wrong it got so bad had to leave it at the garage it took two of them to notice the o/s engine mounting has split the gel bonding and snapped the mounting bolt in the block DISASTER engine out drill out bolt new bracket repaired but still cost £600 otherwise the car was scrap showed me the bracket gel bag had split. Good Luck mate you might need it  

• Like 1

Driveshafts been checked?  could also be stabiliser drop links. On my mqb golf r, I was getting a noticeable clunk sound often when taking up drive or going from fwd to reverse and changing both drop links cured it. 

Hey TheClient, 

Yeah i did check the driveshafts and they seemed fine, couldnt feel any play within the joints on either end, couldnt find, feel or see any play in the drop links either, i might actually drop it into my local Skoda dealer and let them have a look (its service and MOT is due december anyways) but thanks for that advice

I had a clunk (amongst other noises) on my previous Octavia (15 plate 1.6 tdi). Started about 100k and was still there when I sold it at 200k. Was pretty annoying and like you couldn't find any play anywhere. Put it down to the brake pads clunking as they weren't original equipment.

How you described it @EwokJEDI, sounds like perfectly normal behavior of ASR+ pressing front brake on the wheel which is slipping due to heavy acceleration. It happens to me all the time on slippery road, or if it is severe uneven, so one of the wheel gets in the air.

Now, I have a question for you, what is vRS Scout? Didn't know such car exists.

50 minutes ago, nidza said:

How you described it @EwokJEDI, sounds like perfectly normal behavior of ASR+ pressing front brake on the wheel which is slipping due to heavy acceleration. It happens to me all the time on slippery road, or if it is severe uneven, so one of the wheel gets in the air.

Now, I have a question for you, what is vRS Scout? Didn't know such car exists.

The Scout is basically a 4wd version which has slightly raised suspension. It is sold as an all road type vehicle and is widely used by emergency services in the UK because of this. Very nice cars and almost got one but I preferred the VRS for looks.

18 minutes ago, nidza said:

@Ecomatt, I know what vehicle is Škoda Octavia Scout, but I have never heard of vRS Scout, as a single car, but two different ones.

In the UK they do not do one. The only one I can think of would be the VRS 4wd TDi. It might be badged differently in the rest of world.

• Like 1

**UPDATE FOR EVERYONE**

I have no idea why "scout" was included into my original posting as I never entered it, it's not a scout, I have a VRS and NOT a scout! I know the difference between both, so apologies for that confusion,and it's definitely only FWD. 

THECLIENT:- I couldn't feel nor see anything wrong with the drop links, was yours a constant knocking/play noise whilst driving?

NIDZA:- It is not the ASR, its not wheel slip or the ASR kicking in due to wheel slip, I don't drive like a hooligan and don't drive with a lead foot, the clunk comes at very low speed (under 5mph) as you pull away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gm73 said:

I had a clunk (amongst other noises) on my previous Octavia (15 plate 1.6 tdi). Started about 100k and was still there when I sold it at 200k. Was pretty annoying and like you couldn't find any play anywhere. Put it down to the brake pads clunking as they weren't original equipment.

I might actually look into that and check the fit to see if the pads are seated correctly! It's the original brakes that are on it with plenty meat left of the pads but could possibly be the issue, thanks for that. 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EwokJEDI said:

**UPDATE FOR EVERYONE**

I have no idea why "scout" was included into my original posting as I never entered it, it's not a scout, I have a VRS and NOT a scout! I know the difference between both, so apologies for that confusion,and it's definitely only FWD. 

THECLIENT:- I couldn't feel nor see anything wrong with the drop links, was yours a constant knocking/play noise whilst driving?

NIDZA:- It is not the ASR, its not wheel slip or the ASR kicking in due to wheel slip, I don't drive like a hooligan and don't drive with a lead foot, the clunk comes at very low speed (under 5mph) as you pull away.

No they weren't clunking all the time but only when taking up drive from standstill even then, not every time.  There were no obvious signs of play in mine either.  

Top mount and bearing is another go to for noisey suspension. 

• 1 year later...