the truth about electric cars

310golfr

14 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

@Graham Butcher   sorry my bad, i was left thinking that you were one of those sooked in by the article on potholes & EV,s being an issue. 

Page 182.  My bad, sorry again.

No problem, however I would have thought that my statement on page 182 would have explained it all?  Here is that statement "Its like I said, repeat a lie often enough, then the gullible will believe it. So all the damage is done by electric cars and none by far heavier vehicles then, Idiots don't seem able to apply logic and or think for themselves any longer.🙄"

• Like 1

Re the repeating thing.

I am watching 'Fifth Gear Recharged',   

i do get feed up of VBH and the other telling people that if you fast charge it takes such and such time from 20-80%.

People suck it in and might not understand they might be talking with a 100 kW or 100kW plus charger. 

Seldom are the vehicles they are discussing going to be doing anything like that on a 50 kW DC Charger. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Graham Butcher said:

No problem, however I would have thought that my statement on page 182 would have explained it all?  Here is that statement "Its like I said, repeat a lie often enough, then the gullible will believe it. So all the damage is done by electric cars and none by far heavier vehicles then, Idiots don't seem able to apply logic and or think for themselves any longer.🙄"

They all miss the Elephant in the room.

Government cuts to local councils budgets

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/local-road-maintenance-hits-new-low-with-45-drop-in-last-five-years-28-02-2024/

• Like 1

^^^ That talks about England.  But point taken, the Westminster Government does control what the devolved governments have in the way of money to spend and for local authorities to get.

While Maintenance spending is cut, claims against councils and the appointed companies that maintain roads are big and expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

@wyx087 Geez there sure are a load of numpties about if they fell for such an obvious piece of BS as https://www.lse.ac.uk/granthaminstitute/news/daily-mail-admits-making-up-story-about-electric-vehicles-causing-potholes/ is the real cause of potholes.

There are increasing numbers of private cars on the roads these days that weigh more than EV's do, and simply oodles of larger, far heavier vehicles as well.  These are kind of people that politicians love as they can themselves get away with almost anything and tell those folk what they like because they know that they will simply believe them as it less work to believe everything that the authorities tell them, then it is to work things out and do research for themselves.

Unfortunately a lot of people still keeps on parroting that EV's are heavy. 

1 hour ago, wyx087 said:

Unfortunately a lot of people still keeps on parroting that EV's are heavy. 

Well in some cases they are heavier than some ICE cars, but there are far heavier ones out there as well as vans, trucks and buses.

This morning again on Radio 5 Live @  'Wake Up to money', talking to Experts and Money Investment experts they repeat 'Electric Vehicles are very Expensive'.

Well Very Expensive ones are Very Expensive and less expensive ones are less so. 

It is true they are a big expenditure,  but not so much for the Businesses that are buying Very Expensive Vehicles or Leasing them anyway and can maybe run these Very Expensive vehicles more cheaply.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001yprz

Last week the Money Expert that bought a Used Petrol MINI and said it might be 5 years before there were ones with double the range must have not been buying the used MINI at a MINI Showroom where they are taking orders on New MINI electrics.

The bright Yellow ones are hard to miss. (Lovely wheels).    The Cooper S Electrics are difficult to spot as what is electric and what is Petrol and the 'John Cooper Work' TRIM ones are just daft looking.

Today the 'Top sales guy' when i asked 'Is this just a JCW Trim (plastic fantastic) on the Big Battery More Powerful car' but with no Performance Gains over a Big Battery More Powerful dressed plainly? dithered and blustered and failed to say yes.

Like we were playing the Yes No politician game and he had practiced. 

Edited by Ootohere

Posted (edited)

Just a small point.   There is no date that you must buy a new electric car. 

Nobody can be made to have to buy a car. Just say no!

There is a date when you will not be able to first register ICE cars.

InstaVolt can just be paid with a Credit or Debit card tap the card and pay for the charge & electricity used only. Including the VAT.

He is using his payment choice and not paying the way many do.  They are expensive chargers, but no need to have £15 held for any time.

He never answers when asked in the comments if his is a Business Use Car and he claims the 20 % VAT back.

Is that maybe why the G/F does not let him charge and maybe take 40 pence a kWh instead of the 85 pence @ Instavolt...

When there is £15 held & per kWh it is 85 pence the £15 is used up anyway in less than 17 kWh, 

so like under 20 minutes on a 50 kW charger.

Damn expensive eats and drinks are really really a personal choice.   Not part of running an EV.

Edited by Ootohere
  • Like 1

It is so damn simple.  Plug into the car at chargers where the charge head does not require unlocking by taping a card or watch or what ever.  The tap and charging is near instant.  Damn expensive at 79 pence a kWh.  Next charge in 98 miles will be cheaper at a Tesla charger and then 60 miles later it will be a 31 pence a kWh charger for 3 hours and ready for an early start.  

82_photo_949_0_none_none_display_full_media.jpg

• Like 1

On 29/04/2024 at 14:09, Ootohere said:

Last week the Money Expert that bought a Used Petrol MINI and said it might be 5 years before there were ones with double the range must have not been buying the used MINI at a MINI Showroom where they are taking orders on New MINI electrics.

These programs are often recorded in advance, or at the very best researched in advance, and so it might just have been that the new improved range Mini was announced after the program was put to bed? Could it be that the Money Expert also came across a salesman like you did who was playing the yes, no game?

4 hours ago, Ootohere said:

Just a small point.   There is no date that you must buy a new electric car. 

Nobody can be made to have to buy a car. Just say no!

There is a date when you will not be able to first register ICE cars.

These are the same thing and he was of course, making the point that you would be not able to purchase a "new" ICE car after 2035, which to a lot of people is a dealbreaker, they will only ever buy "new" as a status symbol is to be seen with the very latest registration plate.

InstaVolt can just be paid with a Credit or Debit card tap the card and pay for the charge & electricity used only. Including the VAT.

He is using his payment choice and not paying the way many do.  They are expensive chargers, but no need to have £15 held for any time.

You could well be right on this point, that being said, he is not the only person to have made the same claim about funds being held for a while before being released back again, so may be there is some element of truth there, at least in England if not in Scotland?

He never answers when asked in the comments if his is a Business Use Car and he claims the 20 % VAT back.

Is that maybe why the G/F does not let him charge and maybe take 40 pence a kWh instead of the 85 pence @ Instavolt...

I can't see the relevance of the point here, he is not making the case as a business user, but as a private buyer, and those folk are not able to offset the cost against expenses, or claim back the 20% VAT so is not worth the mention

Damn expensive eats and drinks are really really a personal choice.   Not part of running an EV.

Again, while you have a point, albeit a small one really because what else are you going to do while you're waiting for a charge to complete. Some people will just resort to drinks and snacks out of boredom, something that would be happening if you're driving an ICE vehicle, even if you have had to make a quick fill up, you're unlikely to stop for anything to eat or drink. 

I admit here, to not having watched this video of his yet, I have been spending time doing other things this week or so, more on that later....

Posted (edited)

@Graham Butcher it is live.  I message in. The experts are there or by connection.  It was Laura Lambie who normally knows her stuff that was talking mince. Being Scottish she is usually fully up on the price of mince.    PS.  Funds are held.  I had 10 times or more by BP at Edinburgh airport.   Were the max spend could be £7 they held £15.    They were told in no uncertain terms to return it all within the week and not 29 days.  It was coming up for every failed start.      When you are well over £15 if a spend really it matters not.      PPS.  He is making a big deal about costs if public charging. Rightly so.   But his big miles are work miles.  The deal there is how much is your time worth to charge quick.  A big battery car.  Doing miles to earn.   Many work while charging.    Car on tick and bug saving on your taxes. 

Edited by Ootohere

18 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

I just heard the end of a news story about the whole Tesla supercharger team being sacked by Elin Musk.  Not read it yet. 

Its on the BBC site, not very good reading, and it could possibly push the cost of their charging network up making them less attractive?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

@Graham Butcher it is live.  I message in. The experts are there or by connection.  It was Laura Lambie who normally knows her stuff that was talking mince. Being Scottish she is usually fully up on the price of mince. 

Maybe so, but that does not mean the news of a longer range Mini was known before the broadcast, though. There has to be a point in time when a statement that was made in good faith becomes out of date following a press release from BMW.

Oh dear, it seems that London and certainly the boroughs of Hillingdon, Hounslow and Ealing at least are struggling in being able to supply sufficient power to allow people buying EV's to have a home charger installed. I wonder where else this happening, I doubt that this is an isolated case.

GLA_March2024_WestLondonUpdate_Checked_March 2024.pdf

1 minute ago, Ootohere said:

@Graham Butcher  please.  The news of the Mini and prices have been out for months and it is just surprising she was out of touch being as Mini fan. But then so was the guy from Autotrader. 

Might have been the word on the street, but not been actually confirmed by BMW when the program was aired?

2 hours ago, Graham Butcher said:

Oh dear, it seems that London and certainly the boroughs of Hillingdon, Hounslow and Ealing at least are struggling in being able to supply sufficient power to allow people buying EV's to have a home charger installed. I wonder where else this happening, I doubt that this is an isolated case.

GLA_March2024_WestLondonUpdate_Checked_March 2024.pdf 4.86 MB · 0 downloads

From my quick reading of this, I'm not seeing any issue/roadblock for local residents to buy EV and install charge points in this paper. Please can you point out where does it actually say that there isn't sufficient power for existing residents to adopt EV?

The document appears to be saying there is capacity constraints for new developments. What is being done and when.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, wyx087 said:

EV police vehicle (USA) walkthrough of modifications:

Great to see Mr Munro do such a walk through, it is hard to think of a more knowledgeable person who knows about US cars development in the last 50 years.

When you think about it TESLA model Y ticks along of boxes, particularly in the Long range and performance format.

Having massive ability to perform in dry and wet conditions and with plenty of weight to "box" vehicles off the road, cars, vans, not so much trucks of course, and the Model Y LR'etc ability to catch just about anything, in the right skilful hands is a logical choice plus plenty of space.  Same for police vehicles and what was HMRC drugs teams, presumably no part of Border Force and other units as, SAS, SBS etc, they will have to get rid of their Range Rovers and move to EVs.  The sheer amount of Comms equipment and other technical tracking etc equipment needs lots of space and that weight of vehicle one can see why big beemers, Volvos, I recall fondly speeding long way in to 3 figures with the police in old favourites of mine like the Vauxhall Senator and the like.

Just the old fruit of making sure one has the range to do what needs to be done.  Even a long range Model Y, even the new one coming out with WLTP range, will not be great in an SBS run from Portsmouth to Aberdeen needing to be done in just a few hours.  Perhaps we need the Top Gear on motorway recharging instead of refuelling team ?  Less chance of fire I reckon.

Edited by lol-lol
  • Like 1

This was seen today, parked in a charging bay at Sainsburys in Chipping Ongar, not even plugged and has been there a while and has a few tickets stuck on it.ongar.jpeg.efa8ce2b355fac99f6654c521cec2139.jpegSainsburysOngar.jpeg.d5bade80b2695c00dc339d3a7c2e9dc1.jpeg

• Sad 1

I do like Moggys observation at the end that converting classic cars (like the Testrossa) to EVs  makes them effective daily drivers and is analogous to putting central heating into a Georgian house. You keep the architecture but have modern heating.

See outside of Government edicts & legislation this sort of thing makes sense (however the infrastructure still needs to be there and I accept without Govts pushing Zero Emission Vehicles it probably wouldn't exist even in the state it is today)

O I