Bulbs

I put Osran Nightbreakers in our mk1 diesel Octy in 2011 and they're still going strong.  On the basis of that I fitted another set to our Mk2 diesel Octy a few months ago and so far, so good.

While you have a good point that higher light output bulbs can be a bit delicate, I'm with Mike on using Nightbreakers. Just be aware that there are several variants of Nightbreaker, with a slightly different balance of longevity vs light output and colour.

I would argue that unlike some cheaper brands, they are all good, but some are a better fit for your requirements than others. Autobulbs Direct usually have a good selection, and sometimes offers, too, so I'd have a look there to start with.

I think I'd try:

H7 OSRAM Night Breaker Laser 150% Next Generation 12V 55W (Pair)

(sorry about the formatting)

There is a light output increase, but not so extreme that the life ought to be short. and the price isn't too unreasonable.

These are cheaper, but lower light output increase, and should probably therefore last a little longer, but, having had decent experience with Osram. I'd probably still take the first:

H7 OSRAM Night Breaker Silver Bulbs +100% 12V 55W (Pair) 

On 02/12/2021 at 14:17, MicMac said:

Given the blue-ish colour of those bulb capsules, it is worth bearing in mind that there is an MoT requirement for the light output to be of the same colour. I'm sure what the colour of the light out of those would be, but if you mix 'n match bulbs, the colours could be a concern.

On 05/12/2021 at 10:51, slow_nick said:

Also worth remembering that on the facelift at least, the BCM runs the dipped beam bulbs at a slightly lower voltage (they call it "Life Time Extension") but this can be changed in VCDS

That seems sensible, but it was something I didn't know, so thank you for passing that on.

1 hour ago, Camlobe said:

Given the blue-ish colour of those bulb capsules, it is worth bearing in mind that there is an MoT requirement for the light output to be of the same colour. I'm sure what the colour of the light out of those would be, but if you mix 'n match bulbs, the colours could be a concern.

That seems sensible, but it was something I didn't know, so thank you for passing that on.

What?...  I use them without issue.

Peugeot used to call it Dim Dip to reduce dazzle in town.

Talking of which, anyone else think they are going too far with overly bright car lights and reflective road signs?  Dipped headlights and rear brake lights overpower indicators and your own high beam dazzles you from reflecting off road signs, it's not like they need to be so reflective you can see them from such a distance that you can't read them anyway, the folks in front who insist on sitting on the foot brake whilst stationary burning your retinas, idiots always running front fog lights or fuzzy LED conversions... oops ranting, I'll end now haha.

I have just transferred from using the Osram "Nightbreaker" to H7 Twenty 20 Daylight + 200% 12V 55W 477 Halogen Bulbs  (3700K colour temp). These bulbs are covered with a 1 year warranty) . Their cost is around £23 50 a pair, and I obtained them fro www.abd.co.uk. So far they appear ti be OK. My car is a 2010 "Octavia" estate.

• 1 month later...