xenons

Ah yes, they are the standard halogen headlights.

In the UK, all mk2 octavia headlights have projector lenses.

I missed your earlier post 

On 24/12/2021 at 18:54, scoutabout1 said:

would it be worth converting to HID  ??  i have load level adjusters and head lamp wash  fitted from the factory 

If you have load level adjusters, then you don't have xenon (also called HID) headlights. All cars with xenon headlights have auto levelling, so you don't get the manual adjustment wheel.

If you give the lenses a clean, and pop in some upgraded bulbs, you should find an improvement, although the 150% light halogen units don't last anywhere near as long as standard bulb.

You could upgrade to an H7 HID kit, which will simply replace the halogen bulbs, but chances are you may find it fails the MOT these days.

1 hour ago, softscoop said:

Ah yes, they are the standard halogen headlights.

In the UK, all mk2 octavia headlights have projector lenses.

I missed your earlier post 

If you have load level adjusters, then you don't have xenon (also called HID) headlights. All cars with xenon headlights have auto levelling, so you don't get the manual adjustment wheel.

If you give the lenses a clean, and pop in some upgraded bulbs, you should find an improvement, although the 150% light halogen units don't last anywhere near as long as standard bulb.

You could upgrade to an H7 HID kit, which will simply replace the halogen bulbs, but chances are you may find it fails the MOT these days.

Yep got the projectors in it    have just fitted some 150+ in so just waiting for it to go dark for a road test 

well a bit of a country lane drive  and yes there is an improvement   no one flashing me  etc so  all good . would like to go the HID route  but not a big fan of blinding on coming cars . Next up will be the light bar behind the grille 

To be fair with the projector setup on the Octavia, as long as the bulbs are installed correctly, you won't blind anyone 

In fact I'm fairly sure that the projector is identical for both halogen and xenon  on the mk2 Octavia

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, softscoop said:

To be fair with the projector setup on the Octavia, as long as the bulbs are installed correctly, you won't blind anyone 

In fact I'm fairly sure that the projector is identical for both halogen and xenon  on the mk2 Octavia

would i be better off with LED  bulbs  ?

No, almost all of the led bulbs you see will give you less light where you actually need it.. i.e. as far down the road as possible then even a halogen bulb.

It's all down to the optics of the projector being designed around a h7 bulb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, softscoop said:

Indeed...   our 2007 4x4 ran HIDs for years and never failed an MOT until we moved it on in May 2021.

In fact I've still got the kit lying about unused since geting the Kodiaq and keep meaning to advertise it on here in case iis of use to anyone.

4 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Indeed...   our 2007 4x4 ran HIDs for years and never failed an MOT until we moved it on in May 2021.

In fact I've still got the kit lying about unused since geting the Kodiaq and keep meaning to advertise it on here in case iis of use to anyone.

you think it might be worth going the HID route then ??..

10 minutes ago, scoutabout1 said:

you think it might be worth going the HID route then ??..

They definitely made a huge difference and pretty much made the main beam redundant...   the 4x4 had washers and a manual level adjuster and i had no issues with MOTs.

11 hours ago, softscoop said:

The projector bowl is slightly different between halogen and xenon based headlights. Due to the extra light produced by the xenon and the slightly different characteristics, the design is tweaked to make the best use of the extra light. I think it typically creates a slightly wider beam iirc :)

There is potential for drop-in HID kits to cause glare to oncoming drivers, especially with dirty headlights, during acceleration, on bumpy roads or with a loaded backend (and you've not adjusted the headlights down...).

• Like 2